1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tipping

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fattz, Feb 3, 2023.

1. fattz

fattz Member

My family just went to a hibachi grill. The food was great but the service was sub par. The grill guy stopped his show to find the waiter and get us not refills but our drinks. Literally left the food on the grill station to find the waiter. 10 or so minutes later our drinks are served. We already had the whole meal made before the drinks. We tipped the grill guy after he finished. There was NO pre-bussing or no refills. The waiter drops the check and doesn’t come back. My wife see he put 18% gratuity on the bill. (There is only 5 us). We pay cash and give him 15% and walk out. The waiter comes out to my car telling me I have to pay my tab. I share with him I did let’s go talk to your manager. On the way back to restaurant I ask him if he knows how tipping works. He looks at me with a blank face. I shared if you take care of me I will take care you. You didn’t take care or my family so I not going tip you well.

The manager says nothing to me. The waiter then says take off the tip. The manager does then both see there is 17 extra dollars. The waiter then hands me the cash for the food. I said I want to pay for my meal. Then takes the $17 and hands to me and says “I don’t need your money”. I stated “I assumed you tried your best so take the tip”. He said “Take your money”. I then took my tip back and walked out.

I can’t change what happened but that was very uncomfortable.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Props to you for being a man, yes everybody has bad days but in this post covid world the service industry has run wild. You were honest with him and told him something that could prevent him from losing tips in the future, alot if customers just won’t tip and won’t tell him.

often doing right things is uncomfortable

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This reminds me of when I went to a Shogun in San Diego and a guy ordered the "Filut Mignun" from the menu and then the chef proceeded to set his date's hair on fire shortly afterwards. A night I'm sure they'll never forget.

*EDIT* : I tipped him well for the great show.

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

All this drama over 3%? Be a bigger person and move on. Service industry workers survive on tips.

Jontro and Nook like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

6. Salvy

Salvy Member

Always tipping

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Tari Eason has entered the chat

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

When I am in a situation like that I try to distinguish if someone is behind and trying to do their best. understaffing etc. Versus if someone is completely indifferent and does not care. Which I am always polite (I have worked in the industry before) to servers/retail workers. So if I am being nice and you are still rude and indifferent then I have a problem.

Sometimes bartenders and servers are behind with too many things to do and the situation is beyond their control. Meaning they are put in a bad situation and it is their coworker's fault for not being there or late. Bad staffing from management. Regardless they will have to tip out service staff. The more upscale a place is the more they tip out.

A bill that is say $150 can mean a $5-7 tip out plus the taxes you pay. This means you are making negative money on tabs or negative money per hour before tips.

Nook likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Always pay your bill. If you are really that dissatisfied, then find a manager and complain before you leave. Also, you said it was awkward? Well yeah, you left without paying your whole bill and then complained when you were called on it. Was it all worth what was ultimately like $3-4? What you did was kind of passive aggressive.

IBTL, clos4life, RKREBORN and 3 others like this.
  10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It sounds like he paid his bill but they added extra gratuity that he felt was undeserved.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Perhaps you should climb Mount Everest if you want a drink! Then, you can end this terrible search for water.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

i'd just write a really mean spirited review on googol

BamBam and Ubiquitin like this.
  14. fattz

fattz Member

I did tip him 15%. He took time to leave the restaurant and come to my car. If he waited tables as well as he chases paying/tipping customers he would receive 20% vs (his 18% or my 15%). He earned 8%. His actions show he knows his service was sub par. I eat there every other week for years and last night was the first time gratuity was ever add. I am not giving my money away because someone writes it down on end of my check.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

can we also share our "cmon... just the tip..." stories?

16. Surfguy

You should have run him over. That is how today's society handles these things. ;)

IBTL and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

God I love Clutchfans

18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

[​IMG]

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

Jontro and Nook like this.
  20. Surfguy

Did he leave a tip in his pocket at the end?