1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Those crazy "PATRIOTIC" Democrats: Free Speech Edition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Oct 22, 2019.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Anti Free speech, LOL - spreading the Alt Right message - we already fought a world war about Nazism - sure they can speak and we can shout them down - nothing good about Nazis.

DD

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

b**** bill sounds dumb, but it sounds like even the sponsoring Rep doesn't even believe in it.

4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

allow me to play the "what about" card then: if Trump says a bunch of wild ass things but doesn't himself personally believe them, then it makes it okay? :D only being partly facetious here

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We're talking about proposing bills, not saying wild ass things. What he said was something about being responsive to constituents and that it'd be interesting to see the process. The wild part was the bill, which he introduced with a certitude of it being defeated. He didn't bully or cajole or lie to his constituents. He just proposed a bad bill.

And, I don't even remember the Rep's name. Do you see the gulf of difference in power and responsibility between the one chief executive, and one in a body of 400-ish members of the lower half of the legislative branch? Besides which, this rep doesn't even represent me and doesn't do so in a state I don't live in. If Lizzie Fletcher had introduced this bill, I might be more inclined to have some accountability for introducing bad bills. But I could rely on it being voted down anyway.

So, I don't think there's a whataboutism to employ here. If Trump stayed off of twitter and simply asked Congress for a bill to let him kill all the illegals, maybe that would be similar.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Your side of the aisle is looking more unpatriotic by the day, @Os Trigonum. Naturally, you dig and dig to find something to attack Democrats with. It must suck to be a Republican these days. I hope you are enjoying it.

CometsWin and DaDakota like this.
  7. DaDakota

8. TheresTheDagger

So do I. Lets start with your comments.

(see how that works? Everyone has someone to grind an axe against)

cml750 and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I'll break a personal rule this once and actually respond to you Deck (haven't put you on ignore like some others). My side of the aisle is the DEMOCRATIC side of the aisle. I am a registered Democrat, have always voted Democratic, and right now as it just so happens I'm mostly ashamed of being a Democrat. I feel about being Democrat how I imagine the Never Trumpers must feel to be Republican. My side of the aisle is your side of the aisle--which is what makes the sense of betrayal and the ugliness being demonstrated by Democrats all the more painful for me. And why skewering Democrats who deserve skewering -- and I figure if you're a Democrat for whom the skewering shoe fits, wear it -- is about all the entertainment I can enjoy these days. I hate hypocrisy. I hate pretension. I admit that I am a conservative Democrat. Such a thing DOES exist, ridicule emanating from this forum or elsewhere notwithstanding. Laugh all you want and put all the words in my mouth and thoughts in my head, as mind-readers in the D&D apparently are wont to do . . . but it won't change the fact of who I am or what I believe. You seem to have made a habit of personalizing the intellectual disagreements you apparently have with me, and that's fine, I generally ignore that habit. But here you are simply making an incorrect assumption and making incorrect statements. You are simply wrong.

cml750, Silent_Bob, mick fry and 3 others like this.
  10. DaDakota

There is no axe to grind with Nazi's look at Germany as an example of a country that is more pragmatic, you don't have to let ****TARDS say whatever they want.

DD

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

may I recommend

cml750 and Nook like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

This would be great fun.

I.D.I.O.T. Did I do that right?

B-Bob likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He's still our Attorney General and deserves some modicum of respect.

JuanValdez and Nook like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Why?

DeVoss is still...
    Wilbur Ross is still...
    Sonny Perdue is still...
    Brad Pascale is still....
    Louie Gohmert is still....
    etc....
    etc....
    etc....

Why do we have to respect these people? I know why we *should*.

Rashmon, mdrowe00, adoo and 1 other person like this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Respect is given until it's lost. Then has to be earned. These guys have destroyed every bit of respect and damaged the office.

Nook and mdrowe00 like this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

why we need the First Amendment. "If the rights guaranteed by the First Amendment were consistently supported by most Americans, of course, there would be little need to enshrine them in the Constitution. The whole point of a constitutional guarantee is to protect fundamental rights against the whims of passing majorities."

https://reason.com/2019/10/25/a-sur...opular-thats-why-we-need-the-first-amendment/

A Survey Finds Speech Restrictions Are Pretty Popular. That's Why We Need the First Amendment.
    Most respondents, especially millennials, favored viewpoint-based censorship, suppression of "hurtful or offensive" speech in certain contexts, and legal penalties for wayward news organizations.
    Jacob Sullum | 10.25.2019 5:30 PM

The First Amendment is unpopular…which is why we need the First Amendment. A recent survey commissioned by the Campaign for Free Speech underlines that point, finding that most Americans support viewpoint-based censorship, suppression of "hurtful or offensive" speech "in universities or on social media," government "action against newspapers and TV stations" that print or air "biased, inflammatory, or false" content, and revising the First Amendment, which "goes too far in allowing hate speech," to "reflect the cultural norms of today."

That last position was endorsed by just 51 percent of respondents, compared to 42 percent who disagreed and 7 percent who had no opinion. But 57 percent favored legal penalties for wayward news organizations, 61 percent supported censorship of "hurtful or offensive" speech in certain contexts, and 63 percent said the government should restrict the speech of racists, neo-Nazis, radical Islamists, Holocaust deniers, anti-vaccine activists, and/or climate change skeptics.

On a more heartening note, the idea of tasking "a government agency" with "reviewing" the output of "alternative media sources" mustered support from just 36 percent of respondents, although the opponents still fell short of a majority. Likewise with a law against "hate speech," which 48 percent favored and just 31 percent opposed.

"The findings are frankly extraordinary," Bob Lystad, executive director of the Campaign for Free Speech, told the Washington Free Beacon. "Our free speech rights and our free press rights have evolved well over 200 years, and people now seem to be rethinking them."

We have no data for prior years from this poll, which was conducted by CARAVAN Surveys in early September with a sample of about 1,000 adults. It is therefore hard to say, based on these results, whether Americans are actually "rethinking" their support for freedom of speech or simply expressing the qualms they've always had.

Survey data from the Freedom Forum Institute indicate that the share of Americans who think "the rights guaranteed in the First Amendment go too far" has fluctuated quite a bit since 1999. It was 29 percent in a survey conducted this year, which is higher than in the previous four years but far from a record during that period.

Still, the breakdown of responses by age in the Campaign for Free Speech survey does not bode well for the future. On almost every question, millennials (ages 21 to 38) were more likely to support speech restrictions than older respondents were. But contrary to what you might think, people with college degrees were less inclined to favor speech restrictions than respondents who either did not attend or did not complete college.

If the rights guaranteed by the First Amendment were consistently supported by most Americans, of course, there would be little need to enshrine them in the Constitution. The whole point of a constitutional guarantee is to protect fundamental rights against the whims of passing majorities. While Lystad is right that a decisive turn in public opinion against freedom of speech and the press could jeopardize these liberties in the long term, it's not clear we are experiencing such a shift.

Jacob Sullum is a senior editor at Reason.

cml750 and RayRay10 like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Here you go trying that again.

Nobody believes you, mainly because you never post anything that can even be construed as liberal or left of center.

You hate hypocrisy yet you are guilty of it all the time in D&D.

I have no issue with you being ashamed of being a democrat but how can you be ashamed of that yet everything you post is in defense of a party and president who is equally embarrassing.

Your logic makes no sense.

Rashmon likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So you have a "rule" against posting your own opinions, preferring to post cut and paste material from biased sources like The Federalist? I know several conservative Democrats, and not one of them, if they posted in this forum, would post the way you do about your alleged political party. You take every opportunity to gleefully post material that either blatantly or subtly attacks the Democratic Party. If you are a Democrat, you have a strange way of showing it. If you are, you need to consider what you are doing that may be helping the Republican Party reelect a clear and present danger to the United States, a man who has caused more damage than I would have thought possible in 3 years within and without America to both our power and our reputation around the world.

As for people having me on "ignore?" My guess is that whoever it is, I had them on ignore first. I have around 50 members, or former members, on my ignore list, the overwhelming majority for bigoted posts. Either blatantly bigoted posts, or for a long series of subtly worded bigoted posts. Most of the rest are on it because they are obviously trolls. If any of both category have me on ignore, I wear it as a badge of honor.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

One of the many free thinking, fair minded Nixon Democrats that hangs out on the Federalist all the time.

jiggyfly likes this.