1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is what's wrong with Hockey

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BobFinn*, Oct 5, 2000.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Tie Games

Hockey will never be huge in the US until they do something about tie games. In case you canadians didn't know, the US is all about winners and losers. To sit and watch a 2 1/2 hour sporting event where there is no winner or loser is kinda pointless They need to bring the sudden death overtime they have in the playoffs into the regular season.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited October 05, 2000).]

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

What is that saying - ties are like kissing your sister?

Tie games must've been invented in Arkansas.

------------------

3. Hydra

Hydra Member

That fourth number in the teams record sucks too. What does that mean, regulation tie or something like that?

------------------
    David Stern calls me now and says, 'I apologize for all the things I said to you in the past. Dennis is a lot worse than you are.' -- Charles Barkley

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Problem with Hockey is simple. Nobody can play it becasue we don't have rinks, and we don't have ponds. If kids played it, they'd watch it. That's the bottom line if you ask me. It's just not an accesible sport.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

It would also help if the refs knew the rules.

NHL fines referees for incorrectly applying overtime rule
    5:11 pm ET, Thu, Oct 5, 2000

NEW YORK (AP) — The NHL fined two referees Thursday for incorrectly allowing Colorado and Dallas to begin overtime of their season opener 5-on-4.

When a game goes into overtime, the extra period is supposed to be played 4-on-4, instead of the usual 5-on-5. However, when a power play carries into overtime — as it did in Wednesday's NHL season opener — the period is supposed to begin 4-on-3.

Dallas' Derian Hatcher received an elbowing penalty with 40 seconds remaining in the third period of the 2-2 tie.

Mark Faucette and Dan O'Halloran allowed both teams to begin the overtime with an extra skater. The amount of the fine was not disclosed

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

There certainly isn't enough fights and blood anymore, that would distract the yanks from the draws.

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

7. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Tie games have been a part of hockey for several decades - long before the NBA was even a twinkle in someone's eye - and it has survived, sometimes thrived, using that method throughout that time. Sure, the past few seasons tie games have increased rapidly, due to complacency within the teams, and a need of one point and fear of coming out with no points. Thats the main reason why the NHL introduced the 4-on-4 overtime rule, as less players on the ice at one time generally generates more creativity and sparks more goals, which the league wants. As for the 4 column system (win/loss/tie/regulation tie), it is meant as a way to give the team's an extra motivation to score in overtime. With a guaranteed point going into OT, the team's have little risk, and therfore go for the extra point. What I don't neccessarily agree with is that the league automatically assumes more goals equals more excitement. While that may entice the casual fan, end-to-end rushes with outstanding goaltending and hard-checking defense can be just as, if not more exciting.

I hope in my exhaustion, I am making at least some sense.

And Oh yeah Bob Finn****, in case you Americans didn't know . . . oh never mind. [​IMG]

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.
    http://www.clutchtown.com

8. TraJ

TraJ Member

This may sound kind of strange, but hockey is kind of popular out here in West Texas (at least in the Odessa area). We've got a "minor league" team (as Lubbock does now as well). Some of the kids play on hockey teams. There is an ice skating rink at the mall. I thought all of that was kind of strange when I moved here. But having said all of that, I don't really know how many people actually watch hockey games.

------------------

9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

In Dallas since the Stars got here and got good, there has been an explosion of rinks and youth teams, etc. There are many places where a kid can go and skate in Dallas these days while there was only one or two places in the entire Metroplex ten years ago.

A kid can't just have a pick-up game of hockey like they can a soccer game or a basketball game or a football game or baseball game, but the opportunities for kids to play hockey has grown significantly in recent years.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    DFW Sports Board

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Ah...the Colorado vs. Dallas game....I was kind of laughing at the outcome myself. Glad I didn't watch that one [​IMG]. What a crappy way to open the season!

------------------

11. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

As long as the Bruins and Avs are playing hockey is just fine.

------------------
    please venture to atheistalliance and rocketsonline
    I AM SPARTACUS

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Slam hockey all you want but I prefer watching it in person than any other sport. Also as someoen else mentioned there are ties in the pre-season but OT is now played 4 on 4 which picks up the pace and their is an incentive to play aggresively in OT (don't lose points for losing in OT but gain a point for winning).
    Also as a whole hockey players don't tend to be the spoiled little brats of the NBA or the NFL. There are exceptions but NHL players have the reputation as good guys, off the ice of course!
    Here in COlumbus we are just preparing to start our inital NHL season and the cityu is pumped!

------------------

13. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Crappy? That was a great game!!!!

I hate ties too, but it was a very exciting game!

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

14. davo

davo Contributing Member

You should try cricket then Bob. A Test Match goes for 5 days and it often ends in a "draw", ie no winner.

------------------
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I didn't mean the game was crappy...the outcome was. Nobody wants to start the season with a tie.

------------------