1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is the Rockets best chance at a title in nearly 25 years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, May 9, 2019.

1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I know you're joking here, but I have dreamed about the opposite - imagine the warriors miss 27 threes in a row. I can't imagine a better way to win than that.

hakeem94, Matt78777, topfive and 5 others like this.
  2. xaos

xaos Member

I'll take that!

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. icewill36

icewill36 Member

No last year was because we had a 3-2 Lead and after that it’s the cavs without kyrie. This year still have to face nuggets and bucks/ raptors even if we do somehow win this series.

hakeem94 and RyanB like this.
  4. Mr. Space City

I think last year was the rockets best chance at a title.

The rockets needed just 1 win in 2 games (the last game being at home) to get to the nba finals where I think they would have smoked the cavs even without cp3.

Even if the Rockets win this series, they still have to play the winner of Denver/Portland, and most likely play the Bucks in the finals who might actually be better than the warriors.

kevtse, hakeem94, RyanB and 1 other person like this.
  5. lastreg

lastreg Member

Agree with OP.

If we miss this year, we'll have to wait for the end of Harden-Howard-Paul era to have any real chance of talking about the ship, so it looks 30~35 years in-between the last and next ship!

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thanks for the thread bro

a few questions for you...

-- what's up with faried? is it just ramadan related, or something else? we could have used him last nite with capela MIA

-- what's up with CP3? tired, playing thru some sort of injury? what's most disappointing is not just his production but also his seeming lack of passion and coaching on the court. haven't seen him directing traffic on both ends and getting in players' ears like last year's playoffs

-- what do you think of harden playing it cool slowing up the ball upcourt and waiting for defenders to come to him late in the shot clock, as opposed to forcing the action and keeping defenders on their heels? check this play cued up for instance... he tries to get the switch onto looney and instead of forcing the action just stands there and waits for iggy to come back to him, negating the switch altogether:

as opposed to something like this:

-- d'antoni seemed to be a deer lost in the headlights after katie went down. he simply cannot make in-game adjustments on the fly. almost like he needs a cheat sheet from morey prepared in advance lol

-- does any of this even matter with foster brothers looming on the horizon?

hakeem94, RyanB and Nook like this.
  7. xaos

xaos Member

This series feels like last year, but in an alternate universe

hakeem94 and Relativist like this.
  8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Everything you said applied to G5 and we still lost tho....

J Sizzle likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know what is going on with Faried. It is just speculation at this point, but I am sure he isn't happy that he doesn't play at all.

As for Chris Paul, he is 34 years old and has been doing a lot on the defensive side of the ball. I would not be shocked if he is battling something physical as well. I don't worry about his desire or effort. He wants to win badly.

I think some of the issue with Harden is that he is tired. He has carried a huge load during the regular season and played 45 minutes last night. I wish he would attack at times, but we have gotten this far with how he has played.

MDA is famous for having issues making adjustments in game. The Warriors are not especially great at making adjustments either. I am sure that the Rockets will be ready to play them in game 6-7. Remember, the Rockets also had fought back from a 17 point deficit, they were just tired. The transition to Curry/Klay will be an easy one for the Warriors because they did it so long. The problem is that they are weak on depth and other perimeter shooting.

hakeem94, HP3 and pippendagimp like this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Last year was our best chance at a title. This year we are playing with CP0 and the Bucks are monsters.

slothy420 likes this.
  11. TheSource

TheSource Member

We have a great chance to win the series still but Harden is playing high minutes and with CP3 and Capela giving us absolutely nothing all it takes is a hot shooting night from the splash bros and this series is over

Nook likes this.
  12. blackistan

blackistan Member

GS has won without KD and if CP and Capela don't step up in this series then GS is more than capable of winning the series with Steph n Klay leading the way

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think last year was a better chance bc the Finals matchup woulda been easier despite Lebron's brilliance.

Whatever though, sports are supposed to be fun. I gotta stop agonizing over this ****

14. JW86

JW86 Member

I do think the WCF and Finals will not be as easy as most media members and fans make it seem to be, if we pass GS. Bucks will be more of a challenge.

15. WarEagleRockets

All we can do is hope for the best.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We’ve gone through clutch city
    Back when losing means you had to lose four games in a series

Roc Paint and bulkatron like this.
  17. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Didn't read what you wrote, mostly because I wholeheartedly disagree with the title.

Without a doubt the Rockets best chance in the 'last 25 years' was last year. Last year was special, not only because we were in the WCF when we faced the Warriors, but:

1. We had a team that won consistently by beating teams we were supposed to beat throughout the year
    2. The team coming out of the East was extremely weak opposed to this year where they have 2 legitimately strong teams.
    3. 2 of our big '3' players were on contract years so you knew they'd be playing with full effort (well, one did end up going down hurt)

18. blackistan

blackistan Member

Let's see who steps up and who chokes...so far we've had more chokejobs than the warriors see cp3 and capela

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. YallMean

YallMean Member

Title? Let’s win this series and more important next game first.

We are dummies to the Bucks so far this year. So ...

And beating any time on the road in G7 is not easy let alone against a team with a former b2b MVP of the league.

Last if we don’t win, man, this team will be remembered as the chokers that blew a best opportunity they had in the last 25 years. So depending on how you look at it. Pressure or inspiration? They sure didn’t show last night.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean we really only have 80 hours or so, max, to really know how to feel.

I’m a realist. I still think GSW are more talented and favorites. But I won’t be shocked if Rockets win the next 2.

BUT... if they don’t, there needs to be real legit change. GSW will be better next year than the team we’ll see these next two games. They’ll in-fill their bench and Looney will start and play just fine.

If the Rockets can’t win this, with KD out, with no bench for GSW, with their stars maxing out minutes wise, then they aren’t beating any version of GSW with Curry, Klay, Dray and whomever.

hakeem94 and Hakeemtheking like this.