1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Third Democratic Debate SEP2019 @ TSU

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DreamShook, Sep 12, 2019.

1. foh

foh Member

Trump got elected and keeps his base happy due to knowing what's good for ratings and picks his national security advisor based on how they perform on camera and in combative interview settings. All these things that are shallow to some of us, are innate human nature. If I remember right, we make our first impressions of people in seconds and these impressions tend to last, especially these days when attention spans are as short as a tweet.

The "Kumbaya" display annoyed me a little too. I expect one of these folks to debate Trump at one point and would like to see how they perform under stress. What will they do when their opponent calls them "nasty" or "sleepy" and lies about their record. Maybe they are playing on the public fatigue of political dysfunction and zingers are the only aggression that is positively received by the electorate at the moment?

If we don't like it, we could vote for Yang and his (or Gillibrand's) democracy dollars idea. This way politically savvy people can directly affect non-politically savvy ones the same way political action committees and corporations do. He is also the least shallow one of the 10 because he uses a lot of data, research and real life knowledge (judging by the debate). At the same time, he is considered the least electable per 538 poll. (I don't understand why Trump the rich guy promising tax cuts is so great, but Young, another rich guy promising extra income is so bad, as far as electability is concerned. I'll go read the Young thread to find out... OR maybe @Commodore can explain - I think he once said that only rich guys know how to keep economy great)

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

A single issue could doom both parties, then if it would be just a question of last man standing.

For Trump and the Republicans, it's guns.

For left wing of the Democratic parties, it's healthcare.

It's just amazing to me how a possible lack of compromise could torpedo a politician's chances of being elected or re-elected.

Nook likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My understanding of the Biden-Castro exchange is that Castro was sloppy with his vocabulary and it caused a miscommunication. Transcript here, starting around minute 31: https://www.rev.com/blog/democratic-debate-transcript-houston-september-12-2019

Biden puts forward "Medicare for choice." He describes how if you want Medicare (because you lose your employer-offered insurance or whatever), you can buy it. Around minute 34, Castro criticizes Biden's approach because it is an opt-in approach. That is, the customer has to proactively sign up for Medicare if they want it. He knows some people who need it will nevertheless not sign up for it, and he cites a study that 10 million people will be uninsured because they need Medicare but won't sign up for it. So, Castro says his plan would be an opt-out plan, meaning it would cover everybody who doesn't refuse the coverage. But then he mixes his terms "buy-in" and "opt-in", saying you wouldn't have to "buy-in" to get coverage when he meant you didn't have to opt-in. Biden, misled by Castro's terminology, says you wouldn't have to "buy in" on his plan either if you couldn't afford it -- meaning you would have to sign up ("opt-in"), but subsidies would apply. Castro now has also confused himself and he insists that Biden says you have to "buy in," meaning really "opt in," while Biden insists that someone who is poor doesn't have to "buy in" meaning really "doesn't spend money out of their pocket."

That's where the replay usually stops. Castro seems to figure out the miscommunication thereafter, in minute 36, saying: "We need a healthcare system that automatically enrolls people regardless of whether they choose to opt in or not. If you lose your job for instance, his healthcare plan would not automatically enroll you, you would have to opt in. My healthcare plan would. That’s a big difference."

foh likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

While that is all true, Castro is an unlikable POS.... He and Ted Cruz can go form an Hispanic human centipede along with Mama Ninfa.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm not alone. You're watching the establishment media propping up a moderate candidate they desperately want in the race to fight back against true progressives that are trying to shake the system. Nobody cares about Klobuchar. She brings nothing. She said nothing.

6. biff17

biff17 Member

Dam dude when you don't like somebody you REALLY don't like them.

Yikes.:D

Turbo and Nook like this.
  7. biff17

biff17 Member

Show me one instance of the mainstream propping up Biden.

Most of the reporting is on his gaffes and how he is losing his lead.

I can't remember the last positive report on Biden.

TheFreak and KingCheetah like this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

They would poop pure queso.

Nook likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Beto isn't going to win anything by saying he wants to take AR's from people. It's one thing to add more control, it's another to say that you are going to confiscate someone's property in America. Americans just don't tolerate that type of rhetoric.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is nonsense Biden is attacked far more than any other candidate from both sides of the political spectrum. The far left is probably the worst with their hit pieces -- despite this Biden continues to hold a solid lead. People not living in a political bubble aren't looking for a woke inspirational leader they want a solid candidate who can beat Trump.

TheFreak, Nook, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  11. HTM

HTM Member

FBI/ATF or whoever going into homes confiscating guns is gonna be a tough sell.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You’re not making any sense and, again, I question if you even watched the debate.

She’s polling at 1%, you said so yourself, yet there’s some massive conspiracy to prop her up....? Apparently, y’all do happy hour early in Texas.

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Are you kidding me? On the campus of one of the largest HBCU, The moderator asked him about his past racist comments and he went on about putting social workers in the homes of black families and playing records to kids, but all media is talking about is Castro's assault on his age and how wrong he was to bring it up. Castro asking if Biden forgot is now disqualifying. The media has been protecting Biden from the progressive insurgency from the jump

These pretty damning Gaffes have been treated in the media as Uncle Joe being Uncle Joe and being normalized by comparing his "normal" gaffes to Trump's "much worse" Gaffes. Come on, man.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It's not nonsense. Biden has not been attacked nearly as much (or at all) as Bernie Sanders from the center left and the right. You talk about Left hit pieces, but there are no prominent progressive mainstream publications or media members to provide hit pieces outside an occasional op-ed or YouTube video.

The amount of bad coverage Bernie Sanders gets compared to Biden is not even close.. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

There is a reason Biden is still up in the polls, because the media is constantly shielding him and lowering the bar. The media does not report on the truly bad things he has done in his past or his record so the people that have yet to pay attention can make an accurate decision. People still think of Biden as Obama's VP.

If the media paid the amount of attention to Biden's record as they do to Bernie and how he is going to pay for M4A Biden would have already been done.

Let me ask you this: Has the media reported on his son's billion dollar business dealing with Ukraine and China? or his Brother's fraud cases? No? oh ok.

15. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

How so?

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm not talking about Klobachar anymore, man. she is irrelevant. You, her 2 supporters, and her sad jokes, have fun.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

So, you're obviously a Warren supporter. If not, she has a plan for that...

Astrodome, Nook and justtxyank like this.
  18. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

She's right. It's silly when liberals talk about "free" universal healthcare, and equally silly when people talk about their "free" employer-based care. Of course it's not free. Someone (you) is paying for that, whether it's in taxes or reduced wages.
    This is exactly why M4A is a hard sell. It's very scary to tell everyone that they are losing their current plan. The public option plan is a much easier sell.

RayRay10 and AleksandarN like this.
  19. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Things change. When something traumatic happens it can change a person’s view point; that is unless you are a “thoughts and prayer” type.

#79 AleksandarN, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    foh likes this.
  20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Reading your posts....just wow. I gather we’re on the same side (ish), but it’s crazy that we’re on the same side and see the political world so differently.

You do you. Just please vote for a Democratic next November. Please don’t sit on your hands and do nothing if/when you don’t your way.

DreamShook likes this.