1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things getting strange in Alabama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 22, 2017.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Pretty sad when a sex offender is in a position of power to influence our laws. If you were a victim of sexual abuse, would you be as inclined to speak up about it knowing that the general reaction is to just look the other way? Especially knowing that people in positions of power are sex offenders as well? All this just encourages more abuse from abusers because as long as their ideologies outside of raping teenage girls are aligned with yours and they have an opportunity to influence legislation based on your ideological similarities, it's okay.

America the great m i ryte?

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Did no one tell them, "Don't use the 'I'm not ____ because I know a ____' card. It only serves to prove the point in the first place!"? Even the way she said it just oozed slime.

Sadly, this. I think there will be a silver lining and that he will not last even as long as the shortened term he's fighting for. Every single ad by a Dem will have Moore's face all over it next year. If the Dems win back either or both houses of Congress, Roy Moore will be the face of it.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I had to place money on this race I would put it on Roy Moore. His supporters are digging in and I think there are more hidden Roy Moore votes of people who aren't truthfully responding to pollsters. My guess is Roy Moore will somewhere between 46 - 48% with Jones with around 44% and the rest in write ins.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What would Jesus do?

Jesus would forgive Roy Moore of his sins (but not the Clinton's).

Next up, Jesus would seek out 14 year virgins for some sexy sexy time. Like Father, like Son.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well .. . . He did pick her when she was rather young . . . ..

The 'hidden voter' thing worked for Trump
    So I tend to agree

Rocket River

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel confident that Moore will win. It's a damn shame, but I have no confidence in the state of Alabama to vote anything other than the magic (R).

That said, the dangerous "litmus tests" we've seen on the GOP in the last 10+ year (pledges to repeal Obamacare and never raise taxes being pre-requisites to running) now seem to be cropping up on the left. Jones' support for abortion rights will be an anvil tied to his neck and is what's allowing many Alabama evangelicals to hold their nose and vote for Moore. Yes, there is hypocrisy there, but when your politics are rooted in the near-nihilistic belief that God will make all things right in the end, you find yourself voting for a means (Moore) to an end (overturning Roe v. Wade). I'm sure Doug Jones didn't feel the need to obscure his views on abortion because he never thought he'd be in a position to win. But, now that the race is competitive, he's caught between a rock and a hard place. As long as political absolutism dictates who wins a primary, the Democratic party can't hope to win statewide races in more conservative places.

I usually listen to her podcasts based on the guests, but this past week's episode of "With Friends Like These" by Ana Marie Cox was an insightful look into the evangelical voter's mind with a religious scholar. Their relatively recent interpretation of scripture is what allows them to vote for men like Donald Trump and Roy Moore.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You are correct
    It is the absolute feeling that . . . you must agree with me 100% on everything or I won't vote for you . . . that is Demos' worse trait.

I won't vote for him because he eats meat. He not a member of PETA. he is against legalized MaryJane.
    but the other guy is also against all of that and is much worse... .
    that doesn't matter because they just cannot be motivated to vote for a guy against those things. . .so they don't vote at all

Rocket River

B-Bob likes this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

lol and this is why Moore will win

10. Rashmon

11. Rashmon

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's not the case for all of us DSAers.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I know. I was hoping / waiting for someone to point that out, and to comment on how common or extensive is this altitude. I have no idea if this is fringe or common.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Is Moore going to win ??

16. Buck Turgidson

Heard on the radio that they're expecting 25% voter turnout. Sooo....~50% of ~25% of the the people of ****ing Alabama get to determine Legislative and Judicial policy for at least several years.

B-Bob likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Until 2020 when the seat is up for re-election.

DD

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Probably. Why is Alabama part of the US? Maybe the confederate states can just form their own nation.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well I am a member of DSA and I would vote against the pedophile. Of course not all DSA members think identically on all issues. I think not voting for Jones and hence against Moore is stupid and I would think a minority position in DSA.
    https://houstondsa.org/ Join it is a blast particularly for millennials who are about 80% of the roughly 300 members or 700 members in Austin.