1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Therapy v. Psychology

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gatsby, May 8, 2014.

Tags:
  1. gatsby

gatsby Member

I'm looking to go see someone to deal with some underlying issues that I have and trying to decide whether a psychologist or a therapist is best. I don't have any mental disorders, but dealing with some serious physical health issues that I think would be good to see someone to help deal with the emotions that come with it and preparing my family and friends.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the differences and nuances of each?

Thank you in advance.

1 person likes this.
  2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:cool: In before SwoLy's "mental disorders don't exist" comments.

Oh, wait... :eek:

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The question is therapist vs psychiatrist.

A therapist will talk to you about your problems, a psychiatrist will talk some but then prescribe you medication.

Start with a therapist and go from there. A therapist will refer you to psychiatrist if necessary.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But you exist...

5. SwoLy-D

^^^ *or... do I...? * :cool:

6. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Swoly......please bro....although you may not believe in them....if treatment offers relief for some people or makes them feel better why can't you just let them be?

7. roxxfan

Go to a therapist (psychologist) first and have him or her talk with you about the underlying issues. Usually this is as far as it needs to go. Maybe a few times a week or less just to get the stuff off your chest and they usually work wonders. Sometimes more help is needed, and then the doctor (psychiatrist) is brought in and they further assist you with deeper treatment (medication.) I STRONGLY suggest exhausting all options before turning to medication. However, if you need it, then you need it, and there is nothing shameful about it. Good luck bro. Everyone needs some help once in awhile with something, even though they will never admit it. The key thing is that a good therapist will NEVER judge you, and always remember that they have literally heard it all and nothing will surprise them. I have learned that someone's "craziest" quote, unquote, thoughts may be child's play in comparison of what some things your therapist may have heard prior. Don't hold it back man. Bottling emotions on the inside is extremely destructive. Wish you the best.

8. SwoLy-D

Good stuff roxxfan, but I will not support EVER medicating anyone. You can do it without medication.

And, to answer your question: I let them be. I just try to talk them out of it. If I can't, OK... let them WASTE their money and making people rich off stuff they don't need to get "treated" for. They can do this all on their own, but just choose not to :cool: .

9. roxxfan

Okay.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

gatsby, this is your best advice. Read it twice.

Good luck with your issues and hang tough.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

And, as with all CF threads, do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what Swoly suggests.

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

his ignorance knows no bounds. it's extremely dangerous to suggest that no one should be medicated for psychological reasons.

13. roxxfan

Swoly fails to realize that if there was no psychiatric medication available, the result would be catastrophic