1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Week] America's shutdown indifference

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes. if there are 800,000 FBI agents, IRS agents, TSA molesters, air traffic controllers, and border patrol agents, then that's too many of all of them. :rolleyes:

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

But you see... the shutdown didn't selectively target out who the author of the article deems unnecessary or excessive. And... even beyond the shutdown, what the author may think is unnecessary, someone else may think is vital. Which is probably one reason why republicans are not all that more successful reducing government as Democrats they complain about.

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You guys should stop posting. This appears to be a solo OS thread.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

to take one example: consider the regulatory and administrative burden on education--a 2015 study estimated that U.S. colleges and universities spend $27 billion (yes with a B) on regulatory compliance each year.

https://www.nasfaa.org/news-item/6352/Study_Regulatory_Compliance_Costs_Higher_Ed_27B_Per_Year

Couple that with what has been termed "regulatory accumulation," or the piling up of old, obsolete, outdated, and in some cases duplicative and contradictory regulations, and you have a regulatory burden that is estimated to put a drag on the economy of nearly 1% each year.

https://www.mercatus.org/publication/cumulative-cost-regulations

this is not to mention the estimated burden placed on for-profit businesses annually, with the primary burden being shouldered by small businesses.

https://regulatorystudies.columbian...ion-year-and-disproportionately-affects-small

So yes, I think we could do with a bit less government.

#24 Os Trigonum, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    jcf likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

jcf likes this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's a solo where days later the guitar he was playing caught on fire causing Os to run for the nearest source of water, only to find a toilet that then exploded.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Much like "which people should we cut?" creates different answers from different people, which regulations should we cut also.

Workers’ health, safety, and pay are among the casualties of Trump’s war on regulations
    A deregulation year in review

https://www.epi.org/publication/deregulation-year-in-review/

8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just can't condone leaving any Americans struggling without a paycheck to save money for a wall, while blowing hundreds of thousands jet setting the wife, son and himself down to Florida for golf and fun in the sun. That really rubs me the wrong way. It is simply self-serving and hypocritical beyond belief. Suck it up living in the White House in winter for once and quit wasting taxpayer dollars for your "rich and famous" style of living. To think I voted for him makes me feel like I was conned by the best con man to walk the earth.

Fool me once shame on me, but I won't be fooled again.

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Someone should tell Texas conservative lawmakers small breweries don’t need archaic distribution laws that favor big business...

And about Tesla.... it’s crazy how car buying works.

11. dmoneybangbang

Cut her a break.... she’s a small government democrat...