1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The W(why)TF did Trump do this? thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Dec 8, 2017.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So...the President said this today...

“I think people should look to do things correctly as opposed to criticize.”

Physician, heal thyself.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump's reason for feigning bone spurs to duck serving in the military: "it was far away" and "nobody heard of the country".

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Look, I absolutely hate this clown, but being of draft age in 1971 myself, I will tell you any strategy that would keep you out of the Draft was fair game. Draftees were canon fodder in Vietnam, the war seen as a useless exercise by almost everyone under 30, and even the country's leadership knew and admitted there was no strategy to win.

Now, one might have voluntarily joined one of the Services and been guaranteed a support job (Coat Guard for one option) but at the time, avoiding the draft was a exercise in self-reservation. Luckily, I got an asthma attack from smoking some uncured ditchweed that was growing mold.

4. NewRoxFan

You and most other men of that age (I missed the last draft by a few years) avoiding the draft is one thing... the person who is responsible for sending today's young men and women is another. But what makes trump fair game is what he has said and continues to say re: the military. And he himself attacks others re: military service (perhaps in defense of his own lack of service).

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Trump dodging the draft would be a non-issue if he didn't pretend he was the most pro-military guy ever and insult people for their service who did risk their lives.

RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You are correct and I would've done the same thing. What I wouldn't have done is come back years later and s*** on those that did volunteer. I wouldn't call out a former POW as not heroic because he got caught.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Compared with OD'ing on bennies right before your exam, showing up with **** in your pants or offering to blow the Doc, paying a quack to submit a bone spur report was humanizing thing Trump has ever done, ha.

8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

He’s not wrong about Vietnam, but his claim about helping the military by pointing out the budget irks me. Throwing more money at the military doesn’t really solve problems. Point out specifics...what is he doing specifically to help out morale, deployment cycles, pay, health care, etc. from what I can tell, none of that has really improved significantly under Trump. Instead, that money is more than likely going to Boeing, Lockheed Martin, or other contractors to build more expensive things we really don’t need.

I look at another draft dodging president, Bill Clinton, who increased pay significantly to at least get us to the inflation level, improved our health care system, implemented a number of programs to target morale, and kept us out of wars. Obama, didn’t serve and reduced the military budget, but implemented a better GI Bill and worked hard to get veterans hired by implementing a number of hiring plans. He also worked to improve VA care after that blew up and improved the service.

HakeemOnlyFan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

trump can sit there, grinning, and tweet this out... trump lies, about everything, all the time.

10. adoo

adoo Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

Heh... so is trump lying, or simply unaware?

No Worries likes this.
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I get it. But, I think there are some strategies to avoid being cannon fodder that are more gallant than others. My father avoided being drafted by volunteering for the Navy and ended up stationed on the other side of the planet. I think that's more respectable. But, even running away to Canada is more respectable than bribing/blackmailing a doctor to falsify records.

RayRay10, adoo and Amiga like this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

this

there is dodging and facing the consequences of it (volunteering for service elsewhere, go to jail, run out of the country)

and there is lying and cheating to dodge so that you can avoid any consequences

I still understand both given your life at stake, but only one of the above does not / should not immediately disqualify you being commander of the military

14. NewRoxFan

15. NewRoxFan

Someone call the waaaahmbulance, trump feels "aggrieved." More aggrieved than ever in fact.

16. NewRoxFan

With all the complaints about the Democrats not doing anything to legislate...

And the republicans, led by the senate leader? john boehner, paul ryan, and mitch mcconnell have blocked this bill since 2010... Americans need to vote this horrible people out of office.

mdrowe00, KingCheetah and RayRay10 like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

Update, the 9/11 First Responder bill passed the House Judiciary Committee and is now headed for a vote by the Democratic-led full House. After passing the House it will head to the republican-led Senate. Again, the past pleas to "Never Forget" will be in the hands of the republican party... will they finally act?

18. NewRoxFan

WTF, is this a serious thing?

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He's just selling airplanes.

20. NewRoxFan

LOL... some historians may consider when Ronald Reagan said “Mr. Gorbachev, Tear Down This Wall!” or John F. Kennedy said "Ich bin ein Berliner". But to trump, insulting the Speaker of the House in front of the graves of American soldiers makes for a great speech...