1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The View from the Ground: George Floyd Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 28, 2020.

1. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I’m not a Republican but ohh you got me. Very clever of you!

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Who said I was talking about u? You’re irrelevant. I was referring to all the Right Wing talking heads and pundits who latched onto what Biden said.

3. generalthade_03

You used one of my lines in my post that’s why. If I’m irrelevant, why quote me then? Ignore anyone?

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

So being a fluffer for trump isn’t republican now? Gotcha

Sweet Lou 4 2 and Nook like this.
  5. generalthade_03

Not me bro, but you might want to ask your wife. What you don’t know could hurt your relationship.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, I used your line, and I said who I was referring to when using it

7. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Is Houston area that bad that Floyd couldn't find opportunities to re-jump start his life there? What are the obstacles? RIP Houston Native.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

No, just informing them won't work. Parents within their community will have to step up and be good examples to their children. They will have to be the ones to do the correcting. Those children ain't starving and they ain't living under a bridge and they have schools to go to. Every essential material need is available for every American. What the government can't provide is what is missing.

Were black people always in this condition? Were there always this many single-parent households? Was the crime rate always this high? Be honest.

Let's say we address the policy to your liking, do you think things will change if the morals do not?

It isn't lambasting. It is being honest with them. Be honest with them because you love them. Be honest with them because you know they could and should do and be better. Do not excuse them because you don't think they could do any better without your help.

From what I gather, you don't think they could be healthier without something better than Medicaid. You don't think they could learn unless they have the best schools and teachers.

You are treating them as if they are helpless without you. You are treating them as if you are better than them.

I saw a sign somewhere on the internet, I hope it wasn't real, but it said, "white people, do something." That's so sad and pathetic if true.

I do agree that the poor have more to overcome, but nothing that is impossible.

When you see well off children you can't ignore that there were parents who worked hard to put their children in that position and you can't believe that none of their parents had to overcome similar situations that you say people need outside help to overcome.

cmoak1982 and Severe Rockets Fan like this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I live near the DA's house and there have been protests there for the last two days. I can actually hear the protests from my front yard. I went over there earlier and there's plenty of police and a lot of angry protestors but its all been peaceful. But other than that, I'm in a part of Minneapolis that hasn't really been affected by this. I think @rocketsjudoka lives a lot closer to the site of the looting so I'm sure its very different there. I haven't driven around Midtown and the part of Lake Street where all of this happened (and I'm frankly too upset by all of this to go over there).

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Captain Obvious says you don't just randomly pick Minneapolis as a jumping off point to restart your professional career. I'm sure he had many reasons to move. I'm sure it starts with the relationships in his life. Someone he knew up there might have been a manager at a business that offered him a job that was a vast improvement. Who knows. Not fair to him to speculate I think. I'm sure he had good reasons.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Probably bad influences. He went to prison for a while.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Again, these are pointless normative statements that do nothing. This is pretending that bad parenting is something intrinsic to the black urban family rather than probabilisticly more likely in a community experiencing poverty and poorly funded infrastructure such as poorly funded k-12 education. You ain't going to change parent behavior of a entire socioeconomic sector of society by chastising them. Rather you raise a generation of children that have the luxury to care about their education in acceptable quality schools and have prospects in life where they can become better parents. You aren't going to create better parents with the current generation in a systemic manner that tangibly changes socioeconomic factors in these communities. Good parents are created by stable households with good education. It isn't a coincidence that people with more education and higher salaries tend to be better parents. White collar professionals have more flexible schedules. Less hours in the week to work, more flexibility in having a spouse quit work and raise young children full time, have more disposable income to spend on expensive early childhood education centers for kids under kindergarten. These traits that generate good parents aren't going to magically appear with the current generation of parents in these poor urban communities. Hence, why true solutions to these problems won't see positive outcomes until years or decades when the generation that is currently being raised has the proper safety nets to not be so drastically harmed with child development disadvantages of living in poor communities.

And what makes you believe this? Unfortunately public education quality has too much tied to the affluence of a district and that is because for vast majority of public k-12 education, at least 80% is funded through local property taxes which means poor neighborhoods have a funding issue with their k-12 schools. Like I've stated before, children of poorer families have heavier burdens than children of more well of parents where school can't be their top priority like it is for children in wealthy neighborhoods.

But again, you are treating the symptom (single-parent households) as the cause.

Are you implying black people were better off during segregation and slavery before it? Just so you know, the overall black population in America has improved economically and socially although at a slower pace than white families. However urban black communities have trended downward in terms of poverty. This has pretty much everything to do with 'brain drain'. Before the Civil Rights act when segregation was legal, Black Americans were stuck in their communities as they were not welcomed in the suburbs were white people were moving as they were denied mortgages even when they financially qualified. It's a practice known as redlining. In any sample population, there will always be a certain variance of success and intelligence with individuals in that population. The difference between a poor community and a well off community is that those metrics for success and intelligence will shift overall. That means before segregation was illegal, the valedictorians, the high achievers in those black communities were forced to stay in those communities. See, in a non segregated society, the kids who well in school and earn high skilled professions will more often than the less successful kids move out of their local town. Even in relatively poor white towns in Massachusetts were I live, the kids who never left their hometown are called townies as a derogatory term. It makes sense. The odds of you being born and raised in a town that has employment for Raytheon or Space X or Google are small. Most people who do well move from their home town especially when their home town doesn't have many opportunities. So what happened what redlining became an illegal practice and school segregation became illegal, the more successful black kids now had the opportunity to go to any engineering, med, law school in the nation. They could now move to the suburbs. This created a shock in the urban black community where there used to be some neat thriving black businesses with inspiring art and music in communities like Harlem.

There were other factors such as the war on drug and the crack epidemic that created many single household families and career black male criminals.

You don't change morals of humans at a systemic level. Drastic changes in socioeconomic factors change morals at a deep systemic level for a large population group. Humans are mostly only moral when its convenient and it's more convenient to be moral when you are more well off.

That is something pointless as an outsider. Outsiders telling them to "try hard" or "don't do crime" is pointless. That doesn't do crap. And I'm not excusing individuals for bad behavior. If you riot, you get arrested. It's that simple.

Already addressed. "Best schools" is a pipe dream. I'm just asking for acceptable schools that are properly funded and not through local property taxes and with significantly more federal backing. Medicaid is only for families of extreme poverty. In states that did not expand coverage, it's only for families with less than 8000 grand in income with a household of three.

Every human child that exists is mostly helpless. Hence why the ability to raise children successfully as successful tax paying adults is so dependent on socioeconomic factors. This applies to everywhere on the planet.

That wouldn't be needed if we didn't enslave this lineage of people for 300 years and surpress and segreage them for an additional 100 years. Causality is a b**** huh?

And? Like I said before, every subset of a population will have some sort of variance in success and intelligence with individuals in the subset. The goal here is to shift the data set to the right where there are higher frequencies if success.

#113 fchowd0311, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Burn baby burn!

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Women being captured

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

I do fairly well and at times I’ve discussed moving with my wife just for a change.

18. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sometimes you have to leave bad influences behind.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Just finally flipped on the news. Was surprise to hear the the county commissioner drop the news that Floyd and the murdered worked together and knew each other. Makes the murder that much more suspect.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member