1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The View from the Ground: George Floyd Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 28, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

2. amaru

amaru Member

When did I ever suggest that some black people are simply out to cause destruction? Where did I even imply that?

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks and I appreciate it but I'm good. If y'all want to chip in a few bucks you can make a Clutchfans tip jar donation in my name. I mean without clutchfans we wouldn't be having this conversation.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I've been spending the day out helping with clean up and talking to my neighbors about being ready incase there are fires. The MFD has already said they don't have enough resources to put out all the fires. There is a major commercial street that runs through my neighborhood that so far has only experienced some looting but so far not torched. Been talking to businesses there to be ready.

Tonight I plan to be keeping an eye out in the neighborhood and will probably join some neighbors patrolling.

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

There were thousands of people out cleaning up the damage today. Including many people who have come in from the suburbs and other parts of the state to help out. That is a great sight to see. Unfortunately with the scope of the damage it will probably take years to recover.

Richie_Rich, Andre0087, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  6. edwardc

edwardc Member

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

OP IIRC you are a cop in Minneapolis, right? know officer Tao?

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Some long prison sentences will come from this video.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Stay as safe as possible.

Andre0087 and FrontRunner like this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

LOL It always comes back to some Soros conspiracy for the Trumpanzees. Awesome.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm not a cop. I've trained with LEO and my former sensei was one but I've never been one myself.

If you're talking about Tou Thao the LEO with Chauvin. I don't know him and don't know if we know any people in common.

12. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

This is ridiculous. There are bad cops, no doubt. But most of these guys get paid **** money to deal with the shittiest people in our country. It doesn’t matter what color you are, every race has **** people.

Derek Chauvin is a piece of ****. No doubt. But the burning and looting over it is just ****ing pathetic. The dip ***** doing this damage are the trash of our society. Protest all day and block of streets and etc. It’s everyone’s right to have it and what America stands for. The globe is watching and China and Iran and mocking us over this crap.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Freeways in Minneapolis have been closed.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

There is a lot of fear and tension right now. Most people are on edge over potential agitators including white supremacists coming in. Just on a local news broadcast they are warning that rioters could be armed and will use deadly force against LE and could even use other protesters and bystanders.
    as human shields. I don't know how likely that is but I do know that at least some of the rioters are armed. One of them showed me weapons he had looted from the 3rd Precinct on Thursday night.

Just looking at the broadcast the first test of the curfew will come at the 5th precinct about 2.5 miles due west of the 3rd Precinct. There is a crowd of at least a 1,000 there. It also appears that LE are massing the vehicle yard of the precinct. FYI the 5th Precinct was where the worst rioting was last night.

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Please be safe. I’m usually not all touchy-feely, but you’re truly one of the good guys here.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Stop it you're going to make me cry.. ;)

I'm not going to sugarcoat things. It is a tense situation here and noone really knows what's going to happen. Personally I would have a hard time looking in the mirror if I didn't at least try to do something for my neighborhood.

cmoak1982 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

On the local news they interviewed two guys who came up from Tulsa at the protest. They said they weren't going to abide by the curfew. They seemed like well meaning guys and even said they had tried to stop people last night from destroying stuff but they are part of the problem.
    Every city leader and most major community leaders are telling people to stay home. Looking on my FB many of those from MN who were saying stuff like "don't question the way people choose to express their outrage" are now telling people to stay home and that only those who want riot are the ones who want to stay out.

18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I thought you guys were on a curfew?

If so... stay out of harms way..

T_Man

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That's when real ammo needs to start flying.

Police chief said to gas them all.

20. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

Thanks for updates OP. I lived in minne for 4 years and completed grad school at the U of M in 2018 so this really hurts to see. Amazing city and people. I miss hitting up Hmong town on the light rail as a broke college student to get cheap produce. Been chatting it up with my MN friends every day, and everyone is just on edge right now. Hoping the best for you guys up there.

baller4life315 likes this.