1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Verge] Welcome to hell, Elon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's going to be fun to look back at this in a few years.

TLDR - it's not a tech problem. "This is what you signed up for. It’s way more boring than rockets, cars, and rockets with cars on them."

Welcome to hell, Elon - The Verge

You break it, you buy it.
    By NILAY PATEL / @reckless

You ****ed up real good, kiddo.

Twitter is a disaster clown car company that is successful despite itself, and there is no possible way to grow users and revenue without making a series of enormous compromises that will ultimately destroy your reputation and possibly cause grievous damage to your other companies.

I say this with utter confidence because the problems with Twitter are not engineering problems. They are political problems. Twitter, the company, makes very little interesting technology; the tech stack is not the valuable asset. The asset is the user base: hopelessly addicted politicians, reporters, celebrities, and other people who should know better but keep posting anyway. You! You, Elon Musk, are addicted to Twitter. You’re the asset. You just bought yourself for $44 billion dollars.

The problem when the asset is people is that people are intensely complicated, and trying to regulate how people behave is historically a miserable experience, especially when that authority is vested in a single powerful individual.

What I mean is that you are now the King of Twitter, and people think that you, personally, are responsible for everything that happens on Twitter now. It also turns out that absolute monarchs usually get murdered when **** goes sideways.

Here are some examples: you can write as many polite letters to advertisers as you want, but you cannot reasonably expect to collect any meaningful advertising revenue if you do not promise those advertisers “brand safety.” That means you have to ban racism, sexism, transphobia, and all kinds of other speech that is totally legal in the United States but reveals people to be total assholes. So you can make all the promises about “free speech” you want, but the dull reality is that you still have to ban a bunch of legal speech if you want to make money. And when you start doing that, your creepy new right-wing fanboys are going to viciously turn on you, just like they turn on every other social network that realizes the same essential truth.

Actually, there’s a step before trying to get the ad money: it turns out that most people do not want to participate in horrible unmoderated internet spaces full of shitty racists and not-all-men fedora bullies. (This is why Twitter is so small compared to its peers!) What most people want from social media is to have nice experiences and to feel validated all the time. They want to live at Disney World. So if you want more people to join Twitter and actually post tweets, you have to make the experience much, much more pleasant. Which means: moderating more aggressively! Again, every “alternative” social network has learned this lesson the hard way. Like, over and over and over again.

Also, everyone crying about “free speech” conveniently ignores that the biggest threat to free speech in America is the ****ing government, which seems completely bored of the First Amendment. They’re out here banning books, Elon! President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump have identical policy positions on Section 230: they both want to repeal it. Do you know why? Because the First Amendment prohibits them from making explicit speech regulations, so they keep threatening to repeal the law that allows social networks to even exist in order to exert indirect pressure on content policy. It’s not subtle!

State governments are even less subtle: both Texas and Florida have passed speech regulations that overtly tell social media companies how to moderate, in open hostility to the First Amendment. Figuring out how to comply with these laws is not an engineering problem (not least because compliance might be impossible). It is a legal problem because these laws are blatantly unconstitutional, and the only appropriate response to them is to tell the government to shut up and go away. (A big problem here is that the courts are pretty stupid about the internet!) A challenge to these laws, partially funded by Twitter, is headed to the Supreme Court, which is the polar opposite of a predictable system: it is a group of uncool weirdos with lifetime appointments that can radically reshape American life however it wants.

arkoe, Xerobull, superfob and 4 others like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

conti...

You can’t deploy AI at this problem: you have to go out and defend the actual First Amendment against the bad laws in Texas and Florida, whose taxes you like and whose governors you seem pretty fond of. Are you ready for what that looks like? Are you ready to sit before Congress and politely decline to engage in their content capture sessions for hours on end? Are you ready to do any of this without the incredibly respected policy experts whose leader you first harassed and then fired? This is what you signed up for. It’s way more boring than rockets, cars, and rockets with cars on them.

And it gets worse the second you leave the United States! Germany is a huge market for Tesla. Are you going to flout Germany’s speech laws? I would bet not. The Indian government basically demands social media companies provide potential hostages in order to operate in that country; you can’t engineer your way out of that ****. Are you ready to experience the pressure Twitter faces in the Middle East to block and restrict accounts? Are you ready for the fact that the Iranian government will ****ing murder people over their social media posts? (Are you ready for how Twitter is being used by Iranians protesting that government right now?) Are you excited for the Chinese government to find ways to threaten Tesla’s huge business in that country over content that appears on Twitter? Because it’s going to happen.

The essential truth of every social network is that the product is content moderation, and everyone hates the people who decide how content moderation works. Content moderation is what Twitter makes — it is the thing that defines the user experience. It’s what YouTube makes, it’s what Instagram makes, it’s what TikTok makes. They all try to incentivize good stuff, disincentivize bad stuff, and delete the really bad stuff. Do you know why YouTube videos are all eight to 10 minutes long? Because that’s how long a video has to be to qualify for a second ad slot in the middle. That’s content moderation, baby — YouTube wants a certain kind of video, and it created incentives to get it. That’s the business you’re in now. The longer you fight it or pretend that you can sell something else, the more Twitter will drag you into the deepest possible muck of defending indefensible speech. And if you turn on a dime and accept that growth requires aggressive content moderation and pushing back against government speech regulations around the country and world, well, we’ll see how your fans react to that.

Anyhow, welcome to hell. This was your idea.

arkoe, superfob, SamFisher and 5 others like this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

Here for it. Compared to all the other societal cluster****s, this one will actually be fun to watch. And nobody but himself to blame.

gatsby, arkoe, jiggyfly and 6 others like this.
  4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Naggers?

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

they are just testing out the system

did it actually change overnight?

8. dmoneybangbang

[​IMG]

jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  9. CCorn

CCorn Member

I blame K-pop

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Okay.. not trying to dunk on Elon or whatnot but at least my Twitter is seriously broken. For like the last 5 days it keeps refreshing the same like 10 tweets. I can’t keep up with what’s new anymore because for some reason the algorithm thinks I’m just obsessed with what happened with one specific event 15 hours ago.

I wasn’t planning on bailing on Twitter but I don’t know that I have a choice anymore.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a non Twitter user I haven’t followed the story as closely as others but the scenario laid out in the price certainly seems possible.

jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he's just an attention seeker. Look at me, look what I did. I can do anything I want, because I am Elon. SMH

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe it knows something about you? :eek:

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I haven't seen anything like this. Have you tried setting to latest instead of top?

dobro1229 likes this.
  16. dobro1229

Well it obviously doesn't think I care about the Rockets. Even though half the people I follow are NBA or Astros related. This morning when I got on, not one tweet about the Rockets game last night. So weird.

17. dobro1229

Haven't done that yet. I much prefer the old style where I could just start back where I was and scroll up to present. I also cannot stand the forced tweets from people the algorithm thinks you would like.

I'm sure we all can speak to that Will guy who manufactured his way onto everyone's timeline 100 times a day with 3rd grader Rockets takes.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

He is a huge DeSantis supporter too!

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

With the amount of twitter elon threads, one would think he's running for president.

Also, I couldn't help hearing whatever portion I read in a sassy dude's voice.

So much rage over a once beloved free app. :eek::oops::(

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's amazing how funny that is with no sound needed.

I need to see the whole thing.