1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The UFC thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dragician, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

So much talk about women's mma. People have been believing the hype machine Dana White has put in to motion.

Women's mma is at it's baby stages and quite frankly sucks. But I'm sure it will grow and become quite good in time. Just like it has for the men.

2. what

what Member

Styles make fights, unless you are Ronda Rousey, who you could bank on to be exciting.

I believe you aren't grasping what I am saying. That fight last night was freak awesome, but it was awesome for one reason: Rowdy made it that way because she was aggressive to the point of being reckless.

Going forward, I don't see Holly Holms taking it to fighters to make sure her fights are electric as that fight last night. Most of her opponents aren't going to be of the hyper-aggressive variety as the one with Ronda Rousey.

So what I am saying is: Holly Holms will need to make sure that she doesn't get into Boxer mode with her other fights going forward and just try to win by decision or by the fact that her opponents make mistakes. She is going to have to come out like Ronda did and does and look to end fights early, that's the nature of the beast.

3. VanityHalfBlack

Damn anyone depressed right now? Fukk!

4. sew

sew Member

I agree. It's unfortunate that in order to remain relevant in MMA you have to be an enteraining fighter. I'd prefer if Holly didn't change her style and played it safe ala GSP. But we all know how GSP fell out off favor with Uncle Dana because of this.

5. sew

sew Member

I'd prefer Holly fight someone like Cyborg befoer a rematch w/ Ronda.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Personally I found a lot of the UFC matches in the infancy of the sport to be some of the most exciting. It was when fighters were learning the hard lessons that they all have to know today to stand a chance. Sure the matches are more technically impressive today, but there's still something that I found enjoyable about the naive ruthless aggression of the early UFC and you find that in the woman's game right now.

Women's MMA will develop into something more technically sound eventually, but I'm enjoying it's infancy now.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Cyborg can't/won't make weight.

8. sew

sew Member

True. I just would rather Ronda not get an immediate rematch. She doesn't deserve it.

9. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

You say Ronda made the fight by being aggressive - I see that as her showing she has only fought poor fighters and immediately got exposed. It was such a one sided fight I'm not sure if she will even take a rematch. Holly made the match with the textbook ass kicking and knockout. Highly entertaining.

Also for styles make fights - Ronda's previous opponents were so poor they didn't really have any style - Ronda was a crazy hyped, attractive marketable blonde with judo skills in a division that's growing and just getting talent in. She'll have to quit Hollywood and train for real if she wants to beat Holly for sure.

And for Holly, since the division is low on talent - I'd much rather have her technically knocking fools out then 10-15 seconds of judo.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I see parallels between Rousy and Brock Lesnar honestly. Both are super skilled at one dimension of MMA, both are physical freaks for their respective weight classes, both bought into their own BS and started thinking they could do things outside of their actual skillset and both paid for it by getting KTFO.

Now Rousey is younger and won't have to deal with diverticulitis so maybe she gets humbled and fights back from this, but she's going to have to learn that she's just not good enough with her stand up game to go toe to toe with world class strikers. That's nothing but hubris.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Rousey should just join the wwe fulltime and be the next Chyna since we're comparing her to Lesnar.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I know it's popular to clown on Lesnar, but he was a legitimate UFC champion and if he went into MMA at 24 instead of at 31 then people would look at him as one of the greatest UFC fighters to ever step into the octagon. He was THAT talented despite never being a well rounded fighter.

13. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I don't agree with your last sentence, it's too harsh. She's arrogant, but I don't think she's a bad person. That said, getting defeated is a good thing for both Rousey and women's UFC. She needed to be knocked down a peg and humbled.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Lmfao. Was sick and tired of all the hype.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The best butt won!

btw: anyone have an animated gif of Hohm ducking the wild left hand by Rousey that sent her to the ground?

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Rousey defended the title 6 freaking times she more than deserves a rematch. Not to mention she pit women's fighting on the map.

17. i3artow i3aller

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Said it in the heat of the moment, but still would rather see a ton of other people have success before she does. Absolutely hated her marketing and what she did for attention, while never having faced any competition.

The Mayweather thing was the most desperate attempt, he'd beat her to a pulp in seconds.

This is great for UFC, hope this opens up competition and more diversion.

19. sew

sew Member

Correct on all fronts. I suppose I'm just insanely biased because I really dislike her.

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Just rewatched. Rousey intentionally punched Holm after the bell. She hadn't winded up yet until she heard the bell.