1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The truth behind Keyon Dooling, and why he retired

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by arjun, Sep 28, 2012.

1. arjun

arjun Member

Wow. It's amazing. You watch these NBA players play for years, you see them laugh with their teammates and criticize their game. You think you know them....but this just shows how little we know about the guys we follow on a daily basis.

Truly an eye opener. These guys deal with so many personal issues, and on top of that we are ready to kill them when they make mistakes on the basketball court...we insult them and forget that these guys are human beings who (despite being in the nba and being millionaires) may have it so much harder than us.

Being in the NBA for some of these guys can be as much of a burden as it is a joy/gift.

Please read.

http://www.csnne.com/basketball-bos...rs-of-repressing-t?blockID=780055&feedID=3352

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Um, that's life to an extent. Everybody deals with personal issues.

Not everybody deals with abuse, and while the article doesn't go into it greatly, it seems as if Dooling had to deal with it as a child, and that certainyl can take its toll.

But that's kind of irrelevant to his basketball career, imo. Because no matter what they say about being away from family, or spending a lot of time at the practice facility, the fact of the matter is the reward ratio is much higher for professional athletes than for the average joe. Much, much higher. The pay, the 2-3 months of pure vacation potential, etc.

Does it suck that he has some personal issues to deal with? of course, but then there's guys without the NBA career with personal issues as well. If he wanted to step away for whatever reason, more power to him. He appears to be very thoughtful, caring guy with a wonderful family.

But as a fan, I am still well within my right to be disapointed when their play sucks. I never resort to personal insults and don't think any fans should

3. arjun

arjun Member

Ofcourse...but the amount of personal insults that NBA palyers get on their twitters is insane.

4. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Sad story :(

5. yobod

yobod Member

He could easily play 3 more years for $6M and donate that to an organization for children who have been abused. You have a better opportunity to help people as an NBA player as opposed to being retired. According to Basketball Reference, he has career earnings of $29M which is about $13M after agent fees and taxes. He's complaining that everyone asking him for money has taken a toll on him, the solution isn't to stop making money, it's to stop giving it.

6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

So you're saying by not playing anymore he's being selfish because he could donate his earnings? :rolleyes: How do you know he hasn't already been donating to the organizations?

7. HombreDeHierro

gotta turn your back on the past eventually, Keyon

make that chedda if i was him

8. yobod

yobod Member

He obviously has, which is why he's quoted as saying that he's tired of getting calls from people asking him for money and help. The solution isn't to just quit. Believe it or not, being in the NBA is a privilege. Think about the hundreds of people in the D-League, or thousands of players in Division I, II, and III dreaming of being in the NBA. What is he going to do as a retired 32 year old?

What can you do as a 32 year old that you can't wait till you're 36 to do?

1 person likes this.
  9. arjun

arjun Member

for some people money isn't everythng. he has enough to be MORE than comfortable..now he wants to be there for his family and make sure his children have as much of a normal childhood as possible

10. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I understand that, but he just doesn't want to play anymore. Is that really so bad?

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think this statement is 100% false.

But I appreciate the sentiment of the thread, and we have to respect the difficulty that it takes to deal with emotional trauma like this. It's sad that abused/depressed players probably don't get the help they need.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Whats it to you?

13. yobod

yobod Member

He's played 12 seasons, which is a good career length. It just concerns me when he says he's tired of giving, people always asking for something. Does he expect people to stop asking him for help if he retires? It makes me wonder why he's quitting the game. An NBA season is 8 months at most a year. That's 4 months a year of nothing but being at home with his kids (June - October). More than most parents and let's not forget that his wife is probably not working.

14. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

So because there are many scrub players who wish to be in the NBA you should just keep playing? Lol gtfo. He should be playing for himself not for some random people he doesn't know. He is going to spend time with his family and he is already set for life.

15. arjun

arjun Member

no your statement is 100% false.

I have seen with my own eyes, people in different cultures living very simple and humble lives. They don't have much money, barely enough to get by...but they are happy.

More money can bring more problems in some cases, whereas living simple lives can be much easier and can lead a person to being more happy.

Many variables...but you cannot say that my statement is 100% false

16. Hou_rox

Hou_rox Member

Some of the posts in here are ridiculous. Money does not just make your problems disappear. And calling him selfish because he's retiring? lol, wtf? seriously? This is a famous quote by Kahlil Gibran, and I think a fellow poster has it as their signature. "You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give."

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sometimes we forget that some posters we insult here are human beings too.:eek:

18. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

100% false? Really? So ALL players in NBA history have always been better off than the rest of us?

Are you that narrow?

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not entirely true.

Especially for the big names. Remember those guys like Durant and Lebron must fulfill their duty to Team USA. Right after the finals they are off to London to work and work some more...for them it's really like 2 months...and for those guys there really isn't a period where they just stop working which is why they are so good.

But still...once they retire at 35+ or whenever that may be they should be financially well off for the rest of their lives...although we know that's not always the case...

20. MONON

MONON Member

Why all the negitivity? Dooling got tired of the grind and retired early. So what?! I did the same thing. Now I'm not a millionaire, but I was making more money than I ever dreamed about and there were some things my wife & I wanted to do that took longer than a week. So I retired & we are doing them.

Yes, Dooling could have waited a few years ( as well as we could have); but if you have the means & ability to do what you've always wanted to do, why wait? You can have eternal peace, but life isn't eternal.