1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Streight Shat on Mobley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Voice of Reason, Dec 22, 2001.

1. The Voice of Reason

As it seems everyone has an opinion during this unfortunate losing streak I suppose I might as well come out of my self induced semi retirement to put some reason back into the BBS.

A few facts first of all. The league average FG% this year is.44
    http://espn.go.com/nba/s/2001/1219/1298892.html

Mobley is shooting .414
    Is this below the NBA average yes of course it is. Is that a big deal?? No not really. Cuttinos job on this team is to make the tough shots. This is not ever an easy job, but its one that he as a leader is more than willing to take. The tough shot comes at least 4 times per game. Sometimes depending on how much the opponent’s defense stifles our other options there is no shame in missing the tough shot. You saw him tray and make that last 3 against the Lakers. He probably didn’t think he would even come close, so none of us were surprised when it missed. But that shot affected a stupid statistic that some on this BBS hold as the holy doctrine.

Cuttino takes rushed shots pressured shots, and yes even bad shots, but that’s a hell of a lot better than watching mooch try to push between 2 bigger better taller players hoping and preying for the foul. Its also better than watching no shooting at all.

Is Cuttino an asset to this team HELL yes he is, he is our leading scorer, he is our most active player, and he has put the defensive hurt on his mark every game this year.

If you are going to slam him for making bad shots, you have to recognize that he was at least taking the shot, he also has been shooting the 3 very well this season, he has been injures, he has been without his PG, and Cuttino has always thrives off having a good PG (wheeler at URI, Steve now) the problem with this team is that we lost our PF, than we lost our PG, and even at times we have been without our SG. Our SF situation is a joke and I am not sure we even have a center. So how the hell is a shooter like Cuttino supposed to function when all the other pieces are not there to help him?? When he is the only player the other teams even worry about, and when his best friend is out boozing and driving. Sure bash Cuttino, bash away.

And in my books a guy that hits the three, as well as free throws, pulls down 5 boards (as a guard) 3 assists, and scores 18 or so every game is a keeper on ANY team
    Let alone at the price we are paying

Sorry, I guess there was little reason in this, so I suppose it’s more of a rant. Well all in all I have more faith in this team, and am more positive than all you negative scrooge mothas down there in Texas. At this point I almost wouldn’t mind if Mobley was traded, because it’s becoming obvious that Houston is the problem. For some of you to call your fans, is a downright insulting to the team and your lovely city. Do yourselves a favor and root for Toronto.

Go rockets

PEACE

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Temporary faith in the bbs restored, thanks Voice.

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Very nice return to the BBS, VOR. Thanks.

4. ice pack

ice pack Member

You are on the money VOR. Mobley's a ball player, whatever the outcome of the game. Some say we are losing because of Mobley, some because of Moochie, some because of (for God's sake) Rudy. It's all irrelevant until we are healthy. I say trade the poop (Cato, Langhi) and keep the skills. Mobley is in the latter group.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

dude, it's saturday. Why are you still sober?

oh, and I agree.

:p

6. SmeggySmeg

he must be in the online recovery room at his frat party

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am one of Mobley's biggest critics.

I do not mind him taking the money shots, or having the nads to try in the clutch.

I love Mobley's guts and heart, what I question is his ability to learn.

The thing that would make Mobley a much better player is to learn to trust his teamates. Too often he tries to go one on 5, and he is just not that good.

This is bad for the team overall, as players also recognize there are some points in the game where Mobley will not pass. This causes people to not feel involved and lowers the effort of everyone on the team.

He is a good player, who is extremely talented, I just wish he would become more of a team player.

He is a much better player when someone else sets the table for him to get an open shot, why can't he see that, and do the same for his team as well?

Mobley is both agonizing and exciting, I just hope that someday he learns how to win.

DaDakota

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Any player that can get his own shot is an assett , like Vernon Maxwell, i just wish he would pass th e ball more and play more into a framework of the offense. Stackhouse avg 5 asst per last yr, but everyone on this board aclled him a gunner on a bad team. What did he have last season? It just concerns me that everyone says he can only play effectively with Steve and that shouldn't be the case. If they Bring Calvin Murphy out there to run point he should be able to play effectively. Play with the players you have in front of you and leave that buddy **** alone. I guess those Shandon Anderson comments don't look so bad now do they?

9. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

IMHO, the Mobley problem is the result of Rudy T's strategy last year - that is, running the entire offense through Mobley's iso plays. Admittedly, that was pretty much the only option for Rudy T at the time and Mobley did pretty damn well. However, the result is that Mobley is completely unused to playing team ball. Yes, he's the best player on our team right now, but any coach worth a damn will tell you that the best shot is an open shot, not a contested shot by the best player.

And claiming a bad shot by Mobley is better than a bad shot by Moochie is like saying would you rather have Jeff Gordon drive you off a cliff than some ordinary Joe. It assumes there isn't a third option: passing the ball (or in the car analogy, hitting the brakes or turning around). Mobley does not have to take these bad shots. We've seen how good this Rocket team can look when it passes the ball. Why does this type of play occur so infrequently? While Moochie is certainly to blame, Mobley is as well. I think the issue is not that Mobley needs to trust his teammates, but that he needs to trust them after the 1st quarter.

10. SmeggySmeg

Dak,

hopefully a win sometime soon will give you back a small sense of reality.

Smeg

11. Timing

Timing Member

Since when was shooting % a stupid statistic? Look at where the worst teams in the league rank in shooting %.

Houston - 29th
    Chicago - 28th
    Denver - 27th
    Memphis - 26th
    Miami - 23rd

The funny thing about Mobley is how many people run to defend his play. "He takes the bad shots." Well, pass then and get someone a "good" shot. If the ball is always in your hands and you have to throw one up, that should tell you something. Create for your teammates and pass the ball. Shooting 41% is bad but when you're shooting 41%, nobody is double teaming you, and you're not getting anyone involved then that's REALLY bad. Mobley isn't Hakeem, he's not a star, he's not an all-star, and he's not irreplaceable so let's not pretend anymore. Play smarter, not harder.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

You no its times down the court when a player doesn't even smell the ball for the Rockets. Looking at the Lakers, they made at least 5 passes before anyone had a shot or took one. They got into the offense quick by passing the ball up court and running into it, not backing up dribbling. My beef with this team is they don't create turnovers, they just let people run up the court and start their offense uncontested. Thats one of the reasons why we are last in OPP's fg %. Mobley needs to pass just like Moochie does, but the system has them in bad opportunies which makes me question Rudy. I didn't like the system last yr and with the zone this yr I sure don't like it.

13. ice pack

ice pack Member

You know, I can forgive Cuttino jacking up shots. Clyde did the same thing from the arc despite being (at best) a 33% 3 pt shooter. Cuttino brings an all-around game just like Clyde. Sure I'd like to see more ball movement, but I think even Rudy would say Cuttino is giving his all.

14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Hey, Cuttino -- bite me.

15. SmeggySmeg

watch it Will he will

The Rockets are 1 and 0 the game after Cat bites Kobe