1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Ringer) Rockets seriously interested in Robert Covington trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 10, 2019.

1. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

People keep mentioning Gordon as part of a package deal. Here’s the deal: He signed his extension on August 30 and can’t be moved for 6 months. The trade deadline is in February, meaning his 6 months aren’t up until after the trade line deadline expires. So, he’s with the Rockets for the remainder of the season.

The chances of getting Covington are slim. The only way we bring in a high caliber player is to give up a draft pick with a give up a good player in return. Rivers’ contract is small. Doubt he goes anywhere given the small salary deal he signed to stay as a free agent. McLemore is playing at a high-level which means he’s a valuable trade asset. No way we trade away our only center in Capela unless we bring back another center. In other words, it’s hard to imagine any scenario where we bring in Covington unless it’s a multiplayer deal with perhaps more than two teams. More than likely Morey signs a player that is bought out.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Both are rotation players for MEM, the difference is that Brunonfills a need. Rockets need more length, athketicism, 3 point shooting, rim protection and defense at 3/4/5 spots.

Bruno fills this need.

Who will be moved so Melton can get minutes? Russ? Harden? EGo? Rivers? McLemore?

Clemons cannot even get on floor because Rockets are so deep at Guard.

fattz likes this.
  3. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Well I hate the fish salesman as much as the next guy but it's hard to make that argument. Covington is on a very team-friendly deal for how effective of a player he is.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I would take Melton over McLemore. Ben has the advantage in that he's willing to take a ton of threes, but Melton is much younger has been extremely solid as the main backup to Dillon Brooks. He's not spectacular, but he has good role player potential. Who knows if we can retain Rivers next year?

People are enamored by Cabloclo's physical attributes, but he doesn't fill a need nor is he a rotation player for Memphis. He's had three DNP's in Memphis' last five games. You can't even watch him play until garbage time.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

MEM is also loaded at Forward so you conveniently mislead.

Melton over McLemore does not make sense because Ben is better 3 point shooter, which Rockets need to space floor for Harden and Russ.

Bruno is also better 3 point shooter than Melton. He also is longer, better rim protector, rebounder and can back up 4 and 5, currently the greatest need on Rockets.

6. MrButtocks

You said he and Melton are rotation players for Memphis, which is no longer the case for Bruno. Sure he has guys like Crowder and Clarke ahead of him now, but I think you're being more misleading than I am. Is he really a rotation player for them when there's a good chance he doesn't even play against San Antonio tonight?

McLemore is a better shooter, but doesn't provide much else. Gerald Green was a much better shooter than Rivers last year too, both in terms of volume and percentages, but when the playoffs came around Rivers solidly in our rotation while Green was reduced to spot minutes. Melton isn't even a horrible shooter, he's got good potential there in addition to his solid overall play. I watch Memphis play because Morant and JJJ are on my fantasy team and I am somewhat upset that we gave up Melton just to dump Ryno.

Cabloclo is shooting 14% from deep on the season. Other than his solid block rate, I wouldn't say his defense is very good. Hence, why he's lost all his playing time to Crowder and Clarke. I don't think Cabloclo has a future in the league, let alone serving a need on a championship contender. I respect that you feel differently about that and by no means am I trying to denigrate your opinion.

jcmoon and D-rock like this.
  7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

makes similar to what Ariza wanted and we let him walk for nothing. You have to remember 12 million is more like 24 on our team since we would be in the luxury tax.

8. vick

vick Member

Shut up and Listen. No damn lux. tax.

9. icewill36

icewill36 Member

The wolves are getting beat down by the worst team in the league. How is defensive stopper Covington allowing this to happen ????

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Covington is good but he can't defend 5 guys.

Houstunna likes this.
  11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Any word on why he only played 12 minutes seeing as you watched his game?

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ever watch PJ Tucker on the hapless Suns?

D-rock likes this.
  13. MrButtocks

Minny without KAT is probably the true worst team in the league.

#353 MrButtocks, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

11 straight losses? Shouldn’t Wiggins be able to at least carry them to a win or two? Why isn’t he better?

15. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Covington got paid before Ariza did. If we had kept Covington, Ariza would not have been with us for as long as he was.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only watched highlights but Covington went to the ground in 2nd clutching his head and never returned to floor.

Maybe concussion.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Pure speculation but even if true (possibility that both could be kept especially with Covington's 1st contract which was pennies on the dollar), I would take the younger more productive player.