1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The real reason we miss ariza/playing bad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mike2k132, Oct 24, 2018.

1. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

So im in the camp we start melo, ill get to why later . Long story short i think alot of of struggles is our inability rebounding. Our starting pf only had 3 rebounds. Remember when harden use to rebound at a high clip. We dont have the size so its important we gang rebound.

Ariza rebounded really well from the 3. Thats what we miss the most from him. Thats another reason we should start melo he will rebound atleast.

Plus u just get the most out of melo starting, just like you get the most out of harden on the ball. It would be one thing if we was playing defense but we arent even when melo isnt in there.

What u guys think...

topfive and ryan_98 like this.
  2. onreego

onreego Member

I don't know about Melo starting but I do agree with the rebounding. The players aren't crashing and don't have the length to grab those loose balls. Which in turn hurts the offense. They had what, 0 fast break points last night? That's not a D'Antoni offense at all.

If any of what @Codman said is true and we can somehow pry Taj away from Minny in any eventual Butler trade it might be the help we need. I just don't think Melo has the fight or stamina at this point in his career to battle for boards.

High Vibrationz likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ariza could guard the 4s......so coule Luc - we don't have anyone that can do that anymore.

DD

saleem and High Vibrationz like this.
  4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

PJ tucker guards 4s.

BasketMAD, RasaqBoi and mike2k132 like this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes but in the switch everything scheme, a stretch 4 can be guarded by Ennis who is too short......and they rebound over them, and shoot without any pressure.

We are TOO SHORT, UNATHLETIC, and LAZY on D.

DD

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you might be onto something, imho rebounding was a big strenght of the last years squad

mike2k132 likes this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Gordon has become the Ariza replacement. He was like 1/14 from 3 yesterday.

hakeem94, RasaqBoi, RyanB and 2 others like this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Ariza was important because he knew exactly the system and what his role was, he was also able to guard multiple positions and disturb/disrupt the passing lanes, he was able to be in the right place at the right time on both ends... and yeah, we miss his defensive leadership too i guess.

I'm still not sure about how much his absence is the reason of such a bad start of the season, but overall we definitely miss him as today, yesterday was especially noticeable when our best defender on Micthell was actually Harden.

9. riko

riko Member

We could have switched luc on Mitchell last night. Prior to his injury luc was guarding anyone from 1 to 4 and Infact in one of our regular seasons wins in Utah last season luc played a big role.shame his shoulder injury happened. I say we miss his contributions just much as Trevor’s

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Melo should start if he plays the right way. I can’t emphasize this enough and don’t understand how he doesn’t get it. He just needs to concentrate on everything but shooting. He’ll get his shots either way. Nobody starts for D’antoni and complains about touches. Battle for every rebound and stay locked in on defense.

11. mockster

mockster Member

Ariza is not the reason we’re playing bad. If people literally think this then they are purely having a mental breakdown cuz of the crappy start

Remember Ariza was part of that 41-41 squad. It isn’t always about a player. We’ve had bad luck, off shooting, losing Paul for two games and we got new guys trying to gel

Everything will be fine

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. High Vibrationz

Yes ,

13. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

He was the second leading rebounder

14. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Tucker can guard 4s tho

15. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Yep ennis doesnt rebound as good as ariza, tucker either. I think melo might be the second best. Of guys currently in rotation

16. BigBum

BigBum Member

Real reason is that Paul and Gordon needs the rest after all-star break.

17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I gave a reason not like what everyone else saids. Im not a big ariza fan. But what i been seeing is we dont rebound period. Idk bout u thats important in basketball. In with our small size ariza 7 foot wing span helped counter our lack of size. But no means do i think ariza was a savior lol. I was at tge front of the lime saying we arent gonna miss ariza lol. Still tbink that. Just making a point that he did rebound well

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

4's and 3's. Both of them. PJ is great against the 4's and also was amazing against Lebron. PJ can't do it all. He needs help.

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Pretty much what Ariza gives you on offense 5 times a week.

1 good game / 8 bad games. Ariza mentality.

20. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Well at least when Ariza was giving you nothing on offense, we still had his defense.
    Right now his replacements give us nothing on either end.......

Air Langhi likes this.