1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The RACE for recognition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roc Paint, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Why does it seem that every one and everything wants to be front and center of attention?

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Or, to look at it from a different perspective, it's probably a good time to do something about underrepresentation in various industries, groups, etc.?

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  3. Roc Paint

Which I do every day to no avail

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If that's the case then you would know the answer to your question? Sorry I try to remember the OG posters and their jobs so I don't know what you do.

5. Buck Turgidson

Why is race capitalized?

6. Roc Paint

Because I feel like a RAT

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because we are self centered and have to live with ourselves. We are all the main character in our own stupid show.

edit: you safe?

IBTL and Roc Paint like this.
  8. Roc Paint

Greatly

Ubiquitin likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That kind of recognition is no bueno.

Snitches get stitches.

10. Roc Paint

You better check yourself before you Rec yourself

11. TimDuncanDonaut

Do people who race cars count as racist.

12. Roc Paint

I don’t know being from Indiana I’ve never raced one

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I don't care about recognition. I like to do good deeds and help out charities and then post it to a website to let everybody on there know and then tell them they haven't done anything and question what they've done for their community.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Except in Texas. Snitches get 10K.

IBTL, ROCKSS and Buck Turgidson like this.
  15. Roc Paint

Says @donkeyass

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Whos that? She sounds hawt...

17. Buck Turgidson

This thread is the kind of irony that Alanis Morissette only dreamed about

FrontRunner and VooDooPope like this.
  18. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

19. Roc Paint

I was thinking more Sinead O’Connor

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

As a society, Western culture has been shifting from morals to materialistic values for about 100 years. What was important to our grandparents and great grandparents, what you do, became less important than how you look and what you have. We saw this in the roaring 20’s with ostentatiously wealthy and incredibly poor. It sent the wrong message. Then the market crashed, the depression, dust bowl, two world wars knocked a lot of these folks back to reality

I see the Greatest Generation as bringing on this change wholesale. They were the winners of WWII, kings of the world, and needed to flaunt it. Enter the Boomers, who were neglected emotionally and told to ‘suck it up’ and be some ideal of a man or woman. There’s no replacement for actual good parenting.

So in order to be heard and get attention, Boomers became increasingly brash, outspoken and outrageous. You can see this in the late 1960s and early 1970s where they were searching for identity and their parent’s attention. Riots, protests, drugs, craziness. Now, I’m not saying some good things didn’t come out of this era because we got the civil rights movement and other positive social changes. But what it taught the youth of the time that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. It’s not what you do, it’s how loud you can be. Attention is rewarded over hard work and doing the right thing.

This is called Character Ethic vs Personality Ethic, which was coined by Steven Covey, the creator of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective people.

The author describes the difference between what he describes as the personality ethic and the character ethic. The character ethic is the idea that a person advances on the basis of their character. This was culturally the main idea expressed in the US up until about WWI, when popular literature began to focus more on short-cuts and easy ways to manipulate situations or to get what you want. Character ethic depends on deep changes within each of us, while the personality ethic falls back on methods or techniques. The personality ethic does not challenge us; neither does it bring about deep changes within us. Phrases characteristic of the personality ethic are think positive and believe in yourself while Character ethics deals with integrity, patience, e.t.c. Covey gave us a good illustration: Covey uses the example of a person trying to find his way through Chicago with a map of Detroit. No matter how hard he tries, he will never be successful. In the same way, when we have erroneous ideas of what something is like, we are destined to fail in dealing with whatever it is. So we have to get the map first (character ethics) before using the techniques and skills to find the destination(personality ethics). We should work to have correct and healthy understandings of the world around us.
    I try to live my life by the Character Ethic and it’s one of the reasons I avoid social media. Social media is Personality Ethic distilled by big data and algorithms into pure poison for the soul. It rewards people like the Kardasians for being morally benefit demagogues, instead of good people like John Fetterman, Lt Governor of Pennsylvania.

It’s a big meal to swallow but I think it answers your question.

#20 Xerobull, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    ramotadab likes this.