1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Prepper Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Cut out the middle man and learn how to make it yourself. It is good to be self reliant.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

that’s what the cocaine is for.

Invisible Fan and Nook like this.
  3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you grow coca plants outside of its very specific set of soil, temperature, and atmospheric conditions the cocaine yield basically becomes nil. That's why we are still importing from South America and a number of other places with the right conditions, like Africa.

Meanwhile, any yahoo with a box of sudafed and a winnebago can start a meth lab wherever.

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Nook

Nook Member

Arson would take the edge off. It can be cathartic.

@what

arkoe and KingCheetah like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My whole take on this thread and the growing hysteria is that it's the result of fear-mongering and misinformation. I suggest you guys who are pepping for the coming of the four horsemen stay off of Facebook, Twitter, CNN and Fox News for your information. It's Henny Penny and Chicken Licken out there.

Check out my post in the Wuhan Virus thread. I have info straight from a PhD in Virology who trained in the Galveston Level 4 Bio-containment lab. She knows her ****.

Worst case scenario, this will be sort of like a big hurricane hitting.

So get:
    • Water filtration
    • Bottled water
    • Powdered/Dry goods for a couple of weeks
    You do NOT need meat, dairy or eggs to sustain your life. 200 years ago, only royalty ate all three on a regular basis. The rest of humanity subsisted on a largely plant-based diet, supplementing their diets with the rare hunt kill and some occasional eggs and fish.

This is all taking into account that it's not the end of the world. If it is, all bets are off.

#126 Xerobull, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Power isn’t going to go away, so I might stock up on some meat for my freezer. We were planning on getting some water and 2 weeks of dried/canned foods and lots of toilet paper. If nothing happens we will be good for the next hurricane, we live .3 miles from the coast.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I don't think anyone in this thread is being hysterical. The whole point is to take the precautions you can and do the preparations you can, knowing that different people have different needs. If you're elderly, like Deckard or just old like me, you probably want to approach this a little more carefully than someone in their 20's. Same for anyone who is immuno-compromised whether directly from an illness or something like chemo treatments. If you depend on daily meds or have specific dietary requirements, you have to plan for that.

It's also good to think about the possibilities so you're not blindsided by sudden events.

It may not materialize like most of the experts think it will. I've been on wildfires where I would have bet my first born that we were going to lose homes but conditions just barely stayed on the line where we could take action and save structures. I hope this turns out that way, but hope is not a plan.

Again, this is not doomsday prepping or panic. It's a prudent response to a lot of current uncertainty. If you end up being prepared but not having to take actions, you still have done things to improve your life and acquired things to use gradually.

What you say about meat and dairy is true. We could subsist on very little. But if you have the option, why make isolation more spartan than it has to be?

And if I do have to hang out in my house for a month, you can bet I won't be watching Fox News.

9. Buck Turgidson

Well, with an attitude like that you certainly aren't invited to my doomsday compound.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

food is nice... don't forget
    -salt
    -food for your animals
    -medicines you may need because of supply shortages.

Not sure why people are talking about getting water for corona virus? Just boil the water if you think it spreads through pipes. Done. I don't think the virus will result in a cut of the water or electricity. Worst case scenario imo is food run, empty shelves for a few weeks, and then a supply shortage on medical supplies and medicines because we will see production slow or halt completely because of this.

Don't panic but just be ready... you can eat your pasta and rice and laugh if it blows over. Also you will likely get it, so have your medicines for treatment ready. The scariest scenario is no space in hospitals... so prep your body's immune system every day with sleep and vitamins.

rimrocker likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I was going to prep, but was told it's all a hoax by very important people.

dachuda86 likes this.
  12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yeah wrong thing to say. Exactly why I don't support the guy. Despite common belief around here. Shameful to call it a hoax. People will be hit with this.

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. Xerobull

I wasn't trying to offend anyone at all, @rimrocker . I am very pragmatic and big on planning for 'the worst'. I actually have a tattoo that says, in Latin, Pray for the best, plan for the worst. However, happy news doesn't sell. No one goes to a train crossing and thinks 'man I'm just going to sit here and watch the trains NOT wreck'. We are drawn to drama and disasters like moths to a flame. So naturally we gravitate to 'the sky is falling!' news. And news companies and attention whores know it and accentuate the negative accordingly. Think about weathermen on TV. These guys LOVE when there's a Hurricane, because it's their time to shine. It's in all of their best interests to drive the hysteria.

So do I think it's bad to be ready? No way. Do I think it's overkill to probably waste five figures getting ready for a very minute possibility? Yes. So let's look at the data and the probabilities here and say, what's the more logical middle ground that I need to prep for. Water/water filtration, dry goods, and probably a generator that I need for hurricanes anyway.

Overall, I'm grateful for your thread as it does have a TON of great info, but I think most people don't have the maturity or life experience to temper their expectations. They just all go buck-wild and hoard face masks at 20x the regular market cost. Let's all be level-headed and do what needs to be done.

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

5 figures?!? Who the hell can spend $10,000+ on beans, rice, and canned goods?

My wifecand I just spent about $600 on food and medication. It'll get us and our two kids through 2 weeks of isolation in comfort, or several more weeks if we stretch it out.

I'm in the camp of it's not if we catch it, but when. However, I'm not too worried about any of us getting really sick or dying. Im the oldest at almost 43 with slight asthma. We'll make it through...even if we're ill for a while.

Who I worry about are my parents who are 73. My dad, especially, since he is immunocompromised after having a stem cell transplant a few years ago. When will it ever be safe for him to go put in public again? I'm afraid if he does catch it that will be the end for him.

CCity Zero, malakas and Andre0087 like this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean.... math isn't that hard.

There are 327 million people in the US. If 40% catch it (maybe low if it truly pandemics... the warm weather will be big question... maybe high though if we can contain community spread), that 130 million people. If 2% die that's 2.6 million. If you think it will only be 10% that bad, then that's still 260k people.

Which will still cause relative levels of chaos, especially in harder hit areas. Chaos meaning stores empty as folks THEN start going prepper.

So this thread, imo, is just a choice. As there is relatively little hysteria in this thread (the joking aside), just people quietly going about prepping. So it's just folks quietly prepping so that IF the mass hysteria actually does come, they won't have to be part of it.

Its only a problem if this prepping is contributing to the mass hysteria... which I don't think it is. Only on masks... and that's the one thing we actually haven't gotten (since you can't).

CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Here's an important DIY idea for those of you with children:

[​IMG]

CCity Zero, Nook and basso like this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

as soon as you give me the ok I’m ready to go all doomsday preppies on you!!

18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

[​IMG]

Buck Turgidson, DoitDickau and Nook like this.
  19. Xerobull

99.1% of people are going to get the Coronavirus.

20. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

this thread has gone of the rails, time to bring it back to its original intent. So far I’ve got:

1200 round of 7.62x39
    225 rounds 00 buck
    600 rounds of various 9mm.
    4 cans of Campbell’s Homestyle chicken noodle soup. The good stuff, not the low cholesterol bullshit.
    2 boxes of 30 each, n95 masks
    3M respirator with 4 extra cartridges.

Thinking of getting 50 incendiary slugs, and the same in 7.62 when they come back in stock for anti vehicle/tank operations. Some incendiary 9mm rounds would be hilarious against groups outside. Just people running around with fire coming out of the bullet wounds at 3,000 degrees.

https://www.koshersurplus.com/product-category/ammo/

what am I missing?