1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Prepper Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Feb 24, 2020.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Learn how to sprout Legumes. (Chickpeas, Lentils, Mung Beans, Adzuki are my fav.) It's very simple...simpler than how the internet describes (as they want to promote buying contraptions, which aren't necessary at all).

Then instead of buying protein powder, put all that money into buying Curry Powder and other Spices, and you not only have sprouts, but can use the beans for flavorful soups.

one can only live so long on bland flavor like Protein Powder :)

basso and malakas like this.
  2. heypartner

Another prepper tip for flavoring and nutrition

Stock up on Stocks ... to go with all those Ramen Noodles you're buying, and beans and rice. :)

No need to live in a bland world

Also, if you make your own, compress and freeze the bones/carcass scraps...you can later use those in your animal traps to attract game!!!

3. Buck Turgidson

If it completely goes to hell, I'm pretty much ready already. Essentially unlimited water/meat/fruit/veg and ways to preserve/store it. Have several hundreds of gallons of gas/diesel/propane. Just need a crapton of beans/flour/sugar/salt/coffee/yeast/whiskey/and vinegar for canning (basically what people went to town for in every western you've seen/read).

I'm sure there's a million little things I'd want to go get, if it comes down to it.

Joshfast and rimrocker like this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Local video files on your pc? 2005 called and wants it’s data storage solution back. Next you’re going to tell me that you still use Kazaa to share files.

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Guns and ammo?

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rashmon, VooDooPope and B-Bob like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Check and check.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Ugh...

When I got home yesterday from work, my other half was freaking out about this virus. When and bought 500 bucks worth of super late perishable food from Walmart. The location I went too was out of masks and hand sanitizer. Was able to get a buttload of the latter elsewhere though. Not concerned about the make since they're visually non-effective.

Stupid question time...

I want to get this also: https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Month-Emergency-Food-Supply/724641228

It says freeze dried, so I have to store it in the freezer... right?

This thread is making me paranoid as hell too. Has me thinking about getting a shotgun though we're not gun people. I mean... it's not a zombie apocalypse for Christ's sake.

ryan_98 and malakas like this.
  9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#49 Ottomaton, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    B-Bob and OmegaSupreme like this.
  10. OmegaSupreme

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Society is unlikely to break down. There will be disruptions and the normal rhythm of everyday life will change, but we will not see Mad Max action. Don't panic. Just get prepared and plan. Then, rework it. When the time comes, execute the plan.

CCity Zero, ryan_98, malakas and 2 others like this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Actually, it's the reverse. I've got tons of lentils, kidney beans, etc., tons of curry powder and other spices, and bags of peppers. I start my pepper grow indoors in January/February using grow lights (no really... they're for peppers), so I suppose I could use it to grow or start things like mung beans (I've never tried). I just want something else now to store and can keep for a year or two and prepare quickly for more variety in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

malakas and heypartner like this.
  13. OmegaSupreme

Thanks, rr. We're pretty much prepared now with all the stuff I got/ordered today. I'm sure we'll think of some things in the coming days. Food is covered for months, toiletries the same. Also pet stuff. Glad we have an EV if it comes to gas issues.

14. heypartner

Sounds like you have an awesome setup. Wish I had room for growing peppers and drying them, now that I'm in arid climate.

I was kinda joking about protein powder v curry powder in an apocalypse ... to combat bland worlds. :)

Just want to add that I don't grow mung beans, per se. (Dried mung beans aren't the easiest thing to find, but that's all you need.) Sprouting them is like 2-3 days in a dark cooler. Lentils is 1-2 days. All I do is soak them overnight first, then spread them in shallow tupperware, and stacking them in cool darkness...60-65 degrees is fine, or cooler. (Sometimes in summer I'll freeze a block of ice in tupperware and put that in cooler, too, rotating with another block.) Then you rinse once in morning and once at night. No dirt necessary, no buying special containers necessary. Mung beans can sprout pretty long, but I stop them earlier. Chickpeas are the best for flavor and crunchiness, imo.

Once sprouted, they'll last fresh a week or so in frig, or you can dry them again...if you have a dehydrator.

I'm big on salads (lot of raw meals), so that's mainly what I use them for. But nuitrition-wise, sprouted legumes are better for cooking, too. Helps digesting them as well.

#54 heypartner, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

We use 5 gallon food buckets the local donut shop gives away and put these lids on them. Great for rice, grains, beans, and such. The rim pops onto the bucket and the top seals tight and unscrews easily. Well worth the investment if you go the 5 gallon bucket route.

[​IMG]

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm starting to get worried. Has stuff run out?

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Crap. I guess I'm in too. Thanks for the info.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Good stuff. I have some, but not all on this list...Thanks for the tips brother...

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Good thing I bough 3 packs of face masks a year ago. I'm pretty much stocked up except for maybe some more ammo.