1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Prepper Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Feb 24, 2020.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

One good thing about starting now is once you get the big ticket items taken care of, you can top off with little things as you go along and you also have time to think about what you're missing. Today, I got some extra bags of cough drops and I later realized we probably didn't have enough shampoo for two months.

malakas likes this.
  2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Solar phone charger is a must if you don't have a generator. Hell even if you do it doesn't hurt any. Guess I'm thinking more along the lines of a hurricane season which this obviously isn't.

#22 Andre0087, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    rimrocker likes this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Never realized how much I touch my face throughout the day until I read this. Its crazy how much I have checked myself already. How have I not already died yet?

CCity Zero and rimrocker like this.
  4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

On another note, how do I prep if I'm vegan?

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I probably touch my face a lot. But I’ve barely touched a escalator rail in 15 years. And never touch a bathroom handle if I don’t have to or door knob in a restroom. I watch enough people not wash their nasty ass d*ck hands. Uggghhhh

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

shampoo is overrated!!

In jest... but also I thought I’d increasingly read articles that we don’t need to use nearly as much soap generally as we do. Just the shower itself is 90% of the battle.

not super related but anyway...

rimrocker likes this.
  7. rimrocker

Frozen and dried veggies, lots of rice and beans and peanut butter. I don't know about storing tofurkey and that kind of stuff. If you figure it out, please share.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. rimrocker

There's what is required and then there's what makes you feel good.

JayZ750 likes this.
  9. rimrocker

Speaking of hair, might get a cut soon or become accepting of an unruly mane.

10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Hell I was joking but someone did ask me that at work. If I were vegan and we're talking life or death situations, that veganism is gonna get ghost real quick.

luckystrikes and rimrocker like this.
  11. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I bought some honey roasted peanuts from the corner store.

basso, Blatz and peleincubus like this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

How about stocking up on protein powder/meal replacement powder?

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Is there an advantage to this over Clorox wipes?

In trying to find an answer to this I learned two things I didn't know:
    1) 70% isopropyl alcohol is a better disinfectant than an isopropyl alcohol with a higher alcohol content. The water content assists in breaking down cell membranes as well as keeping the alcohol from evaporating too fast. 90+% isopropyl alcohol is really only recommended for cleaning items that shouldn't get wet, i.e. electronics.
    2) To disinfect with a wipe the surface needs to remain wet for 4 to 10 minutes.

rimrocker and Blatz like this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don’t think anyone has touched on the true emergency if the internet goes down:

No more p*rn.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Beans, rice, pasta, and spices to add to them would be the staples there. Maybe expand your food selection to being vegetarian as well. There are vegan meal replacement powders and vegan meal replacement bars as well. HEB sells some good lower cost fruit and nut bars now that are pretty good. If you can expand to whey protein to mix in with the vegan meal replacement powder then you can do that too. Honestly, there is a ton of options for vegans. I'm not vegan, but I regularly eat vegan stuff with a very long shelf life.

malakas and Andre0087 like this.
  16. rimrocker

You'll have to go old school and employ the mental spank bank. Kids these days have no idea of the struggle.

(Of course, you have to have made deposits in the bank over time, which means actual real-life experiences with women.)

basso likes this.
  17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

No one has backups on their hard drive? Some people just forget the essentials.

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

When the pandemic starts I’ll be starting a new civilization in San Leon. If you’d like to join you need to know how to cook meth, which will be our currency.

#38 CCorn, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

*Which will remain our currency.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I have a van with 18 gallons of fresh water, 240 watts of solar on top, 200ah of lithium ion batteries, 12v fridge and freezer, fans and lights, full sized bed and kitchenette. I'm ready to bug out if I need to, just need to source some more gas to extend my range, and some more staples like beans and rice before the **** hits the fan.

rimrocker likes this.