1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"The Power Of Love" Celine Dion vs Air Supply

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tsunami, Feb 28, 2007.

1. tsunami

tsunami Member

Before I thought Celine Dion was the first singer of "The Power Of Love". But obviously I was wrong though Celine might be the most famous singer of the song. I just bought Air Supply's collection "Love Songs", and found the song in the album. The dual made the song in 1985, earlier than Celine. From my point of view, Air Supply's version is better, but Celine's version is more explosive no doubt. Your point?

2. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

They both suck.

Sincerely,

[​IMG]

3. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

From wikipedia:

"The Power of Love" is the name of a famous power ballad co-written and originally recorded by Jennifer Rush. In 1985 Jennifer Rush's version spent five weeks at number one on the UK singles chart in the process becoming the first single by a female soloist to sell a million copies in the UK, and is among the UK's best-selling singles of all time. This success initially stood in contrast to the song's reception in the U.S., where Rush's original could only scrape to number fifty-seven on the Billboard Hot 100 and a contemporary version by Anglo-Australian duo Air Supply fared even worse peaking at number sixty-eight.

The song was subsequently covered by three other artists, two of whose recordings eclipsed all earlier versions on the U.S. charts. A recording by Laura Branigan became a top-twenty bestseller in late 1987; Céline Dion enjoyed a number-one U.S. hit with her version, which was nominated for a 1995 Grammy Award. Another cover of the song by Air Supply, released in 1985, changed the chorus to "You are my lady, and I am your man." Another version was produced with lyrics in Swedish, "Ängel i natt" (Angel tonight), with another theme, written (lyrics in Swedish) and recorded in 1985 by Elisabeth Andreasson. In 1995, Swedish "dansband" Sten & Stanley recorded Ängel i natt. A Punjabi version of the song (Sitam, sang by Amar) was featured in the 2002 film Bend It Like Beckham. A German version, Die Macht der Liebe, made it on West German pop charts in the 1980s.

4. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

I was hoping for a celebrity death match when I read the title. *sigh*

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

actually I liked the jazzified version that the Smurfs used to use for their promos.

"can you feel it, the power of love. the pow pow power of love"

6. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

i prefer Power of the Night by Johnny Steele!

7. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

How about "The Touch"...man I still tear up at the part where Optimus says "Megatron must be stopped at all costs beebabobobop"
    "you got the touch, you got the power..."

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you can't mention The Power of Love without mentioning Huey Lewis and the News in Back to the Future. come on, now.

9. tsunami

tsunami Member

Uggg, a hater is always a hater, of whatever, bball or music. :D

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Hells yeah!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SVnygCk3AD4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SVnygCk3AD4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The Pinheads did a good version, but they were just too darn loud.

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

One of the greatest moments of modern cinema.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fB0_vJUc3o4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fB0_vJUc3o4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

funny even though i like it more than the songs mentioned in here, i didn't even think of the Huey Lewis and the News Power of Love song when i read the thread title.

is it possible to hear that song and not picture michael j. fox going around on a skateboard at the beginning of back to the future?