1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The playoffs are still possible, folks!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bcdjad, Mar 28, 2001.

1. bcdjad

bcdjad Member

First off, GREAT win for the Rockets against the Jazz! I don't care if the Jazz was pooped -- the Rockets still played with the type of intensity I didn't see during their last road trip. They actually hustled and made better decisions on the court too, finally!

Second, WELCOME BACK HAKEEM!! Great reaction from the normally laid back Compaq Center crowd as Mr. Olajuwon entered the game to start the 2nd quarter. I thought I would only see about half the crowd giving him a standing ovation, but EVERYONE was up and cheering! Very gratifying for Hakeem and myself, for sure.

OK, now here's my thinking about the possible playoff scenario. Minnesota has a monster schedule coming up to end the season:

3/28 -- at Seattle
    3/30 -- at Sacramento
    4/1 -- at Portland
    4/4 -- Portland
    4/6 -- Phoenix
    4/8 -- LA Lakers
    4/10 -- at Vancouver
    4/12 -- at LA Lakers
    4/13 -- at LA Clippers
    4/15 -- Utah
    4/17 -- at Houston
    4/18 -- at Dallas

Here is a look at the Rockets' remaining schedule:

3/29 -- Phoenix
    3/31 -- at Washington
    4/1 -- at New Jersey
    4/3 -- Dallas
    4/5 -- Seattle
    4/7 -- Atlanta
    4/9 -- at Utah
    4/10 -- Denver
    4/13 -- at Portland
    4/14 -- at Vancouver
    4/17 -- MINNESOTA

From my view, Houston's closing schedule looks easier, at least on paper. They still have to play the games on the court, but these games look winable. As I write this, Houston is 3-1/2 games behind Minnesota. However, Minnesota has to play at Dallas the day after the RocketS game. Therefore, if the Rockets are 1 game behind Minnesota going into the Minnesota game, the Rockets win their game vs. Minnesota , and the Mavericks beats Minnesota, then the Rockets are in the playoffs. Putting it another way, we have to move up 2-1/2 games closer to Minnesota in the standings before the Minnesota game, or its "adios" for the playoffs. I'm not saying this scenario will actually play out, but then again, I just about thought Hakeem's playing days as a Rocket were over. It can still happen, people! I believe...

No, I mean...

HELL YES, I STILL BELIEVE!!

------------------
    HOUSTON Rockets forever!!

2. Hydra

Hydra Member

All of the teams play the same number of games. If Minny has two games left and we have one, it is impossible to be one game back.

------------------
    "We messed with the Bull, and we got the horns." -- Larry Brown "quote" from AirBullard.com

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

So is the #1 seed.

We are going to have to play some great ball and expect minny to play some pretty bad ball.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

4. bcdjad

bcdjad Member

Hydra -- what I was saying is that if the Rockets are one game behind Minnesota by the time the Rockets vs. Minnesota game occurs on 4/17, and the Rockets win that game, Houston and Minnesota would be tied. If the Dallas beats Minnesota the next day, we would be a 1/2 game ahead of Minnesota, and the Rockets would go to the playoffs.

------------------

5. Live

Live Member

Fact is, the Rocks would basically have to go undefeated over that stretch and Minn would have to go .500.

I'm going to keep faith, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

------------------

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

also dont forget, the Suns have a five game road trip ahead of them too.

------------------

7. Major

Major Member

Hydra -- what I was saying is that if the Rockets are one game behind Minnesota by the time the Rockets vs. Minnesota game occurs on 4/17, and the Rockets win that game, Houston and Minnesota would be tied. If the Dallas beats Minnesota the next day, we would be a 1/2 game ahead of Minnesota, and the Rockets would go to the playoffs.

What Hydra was saying is that it is physically impossible for us to be 1 game behind Minnesota the day we play them. Since we have different numbers of games remained, we'd be 2 1/2, 1 1/2, 1/2, or whatever.

Essentially, it boils down to the fact that we have to be 1/2 game behind Minnesota going into that game to have any chance. We then have to win, and Minnesota has to lose both to us and the following day at Dallas. That means we have to make up 3 games in the next 10.

Unfortunately, if Dallas' playoff position is set (pretty likely), they may rest starters for the playoffs.

------------------
    http://www.swirve.com ... more fun than a barrel full of monkeys and midgets.

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

also don't forget the rockets lost to the SONICS and CLIPPERS at a time when the Rockets needed the wins in the worst way.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

9. bcdjad

bcdjad Member

Shanna -- just did the math, and you are right. Sorry for the retort, Hydra!

------------------