1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The player of Jeff Van Gundy's Dreams

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by SuperS32, Mar 30, 2006.

1. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

We have more issues at other positions than point guard.

3. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Like JVG cares. :p

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Can he hustle?

5. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

I've been throwing him out as one of the guys I think we should be targeting in some of the other threads.

Collins can also play two guard. He's not going to shoot lights-out, but he can defend the perimeter. He did however score pretty well this year when entire teams keyed on him (he's really the only talented player Temple had).

I think he's got a chance at being an Aaron McKie type player since they've both got that John Chaney pedigree.

As for whether or not he hustles, that's a prerequisite to get PT on a John Chaney team.

Collins did take a nasty fall in his last game and had to be rushed to the hospital, but I think it turned out not to be serious IIRC.

6. Got Em

Got Em Member

He can't shoot.

7. micah1j

micah1j Member

Ronnie Brewer 6-7 217 SG Arkansas Jr.
    Mardy Collins 6-6 205 PG/SG Temple Sr.
    JJ Redick 6-4 190 SG Duke Sr.
    Richard Roby 6-6 190 SG Colorado So.
    Maurice Ager 6-4 202 SG Mich. St. Sr.
    Rudy Fernandez 6-6 172 SG Spain 1985
    Rodney Carney 6-7 205 SF Memphis Sr.
    Marcus Williams 6-2 200 PG UConn Jr. * my sleeper pick

8. sbyang

sbyang Member

Is he the spanish Tayshaun Prince?

9. kyez

kyez Member

If Sura is going back next season. I don't see any need of a new PG.
    Bogans is useful. However, I'd like a better SG. If stick to what JVG likes, well, a shooter with solid defense serves as the best choice.

Anyway, look at the hot champion pursuiters, I really admire their subs, while we even have no substitution for T-mac.

10. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I think Van Gundy has learned a lesson in the need for a guard who can knock down shots for this team. They've invested a lot in a pass-first PG in Rafer, and he seems to be adeqaute if we can complement him with a good-shooting 2 guard. Luther has done well for a rookie but he seems best-suited to be a 6th man type player, not the starting 2. I don't think a tall PG really addresses our needs.

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

... and he spells his name with "D"...

12. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I'm also intrigued by Collins. He would be a good player to bring off the bench with Head - Collins can be the de facto PG and Luther the de facto SG, but Luther can guard the opposing point, and the Collins the opposing 2.

I'd be happy with Collins or Duke's Williams if we drafted either.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

But this season has taught us to get younger and healthier players. So I wouldn't even bring Sura into the mix.

Mardy Collins will more than likely be on the board by the time the Rox draft (10th? 11th?) And what relativist says is what I've thought as well: Collins can play point, but guard the "2", while Head can play offense as a "2" but defend the point guards.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Player of JVG's dreams......

Corey Brewer
    Shooting Guard (Rank: #15) | 6-8, 185 | Age: 20
    Florida (Portland, TN)

Draft Projection: Lottery to mid-first round

Similarities: Tayshaun Prince

Positives: Long, lanky swingman with great size for the two. Good athlete. Has the rep as a defensive stoper. Long arms allow him to be a very tough defender. Gets a lot of steals. Excels in the open court, excellent finisher in transition. Good motor and pretty unselfish. Decent set shooter, especially from 3-point range though he's been very inconsistent in that department this season. Good on the offensive boards.

Negatives: Still figuring out how to shoot off the dribble. Needs to add strength to his thin frame. Ball handling is just fair. Injuries have hurt his production in the second half of the season.

Summary: An excellent tournament has helped Brewer's stock. The comparisons to Detroit's Tayshaun Prince seem dead on. Brewer is a long, athletic swingman who's an efficient scorer on the offensive end and a nightmare, because of his length and athleticism, on the defensive end. Several weeks ago, Brewer said he wouldn't declare for the draft because he wasn't a lock for the lottery. But two things may sway him to go pro. One, if Noah and Horford decide to declare, Brewer may decide to join them on the parade out of town. Two, given his play of late, the lottery looks more in reach than ever. If he can prove to scouts that his shooting woes were an aberration, Brewer will be a candidate for the late lottery, though some see him as more likely to go in the middle of the first round. s with Noah and Horford, another year in school would certainly benefit Brewer's game -- but, coming off the NCAA title game, will his draft stock ever be higher?