1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Pelosi-Trump State of the Union Address Chess Match

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That article continues:

"It came on the 27th day of the shutdown, a day on which there were once again no negotiations between the two sides. But there was some indication that House Democrats, increasingly concerned that they have not sufficiently countered Mr. Trump’s demands for a wall with ideas of their own, were privately weighing offering their own plan for more effectively securing the border.

"The move would be something of a shift in strategy for the Democrats, who have steadfastly refused to engage in a debate with Mr. Trump about border security as long as the government remains shuttered."
    "Ideas of their own" seems like a fairly obvious gap in Democratic messaging . . . .

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and it seems like critics of the Democrats' approach have been consistently arguing this point all along, for example from the other thread

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Their idea is that no negotiation until the gov open. It's a pretty simple message.

Pelosi isn't dumb. When she sent that letter, she is pushing Trump button to dig in further. She wanted the shutdown to continue. That she devil. (if she didn't expect that, she is as much a dummy as Trump)

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I can't read the full article (op ed?) but while I think the two leaders slapping at each other is "remarkable" I don't really think anyone can honestly think trump did well in the exchange. I can see Pelosi mentioning how trump's decision prevented her from meeting with NATO leaders and more important, U.S. troops in battle areas. She can also point out how little trump has done to meet with troops. Taking this visit away from Pelosi is

Second, I am sure trump is missing more from not traveling with his admin and family to Devos. Loses a chance to brag about the US economy on a global stage with financial moves and shakers. And looks petty in the process.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I know it doesn't mean much anymore now-a-day, but revealing a trip that is kept secret for safety... smh. She may still be going, but of course nobody know since it's for safety reason. I would said, just revealing it make it that much tougher for security to be put their plans in place if they are still going.

EDIT:

And just like that... it's postponed because of security concerns.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/18/us/politics/pelosi-trip-trump.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

WASHINGTON — Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California postponed an official trip to Europe and Afghanistan due to security concerns on Friday after President Trump grounded her military flight and divulged the itinerary, and her aides said the administration leaked plans for her and the lawmakers accompanying her to fly commercially.

“In light of the grave threats caused by the president’s action, the delegation has decided to postpone the trip so as not to further endanger our troops and security personnel, or the other travelers on the flights,” Drew Hammill, Ms. Pelosi’s deputy chief of staff and communications director, said in a statement.

Mr. Hammill said that the State Department’s Diplomatic Security Service had raised its threat assessment for the trip overnight after Mr. Trump announced in a letter to Ms. Pelosi on Thursday that he was revoking her use of a military aircraft to make the journey, which she was to have begun that afternoon. The update indicated “that the president announcing this sensitive travel had significantly increased the danger to the delegation and to the troops, security, and other officials supporting the trip,” he said in the statement.

#105 Amiga, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  6. NewRoxFan

trump knows he is looking in this spat... he can't even say Pelosi was visiting troops in Afghanistan and meeting with NATO officials on this "excursion". The rest is incoherent trumpbabble.. must be low energy since he knows the end is coming soon...

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Since we don't have the functionality, I'll just make a mental note that I've been negged. :) Here's what's understandable -- there are no Geneva Conventions here. This is a political brawl and the only rules that matter are the powers enumerated in the Constitution. Pelosi can deny him an audience for the State of the Union; he can deny her security details for international travel. It's not polite, but this is a fist fight. If you're going to gasp every time someone does something dirty in this fight, you're going to run out of breath. The truth is, as useful as the trip might have been, it isn't critical to her job and the function of government. She'll carry on, and what's important right now is find a way to erode Trump's defenses to make him surrender and reopen the government.

In hindsight, she should have waited until the wheels were up before canceling the State of the Union. Of course, she might have found herself in Afghanistan without a security detail.

Lol. Trump doesn't treat anyone with respect regardless -- least of all people who are forced to submit -- so why would anyone pay him any?

RayRay10 and Os Trigonum like this.
  8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes a pretty simple message. Very misguided, but pretty simple. Trump's message is also pretty simple. The difference is his isn't misguided.

Exactly why we have the current shutdown, and why it is likely to continue. Also, exactly why this is on the Democrats. They don't want to negotiate, or solve the problem. They want to make him lose.

It's also exactly why I suspect it won't be Trump that surrenders.

Actually he does. Most people that have dealt with him in person talk about what a gracious host he is.

Agree. But see above comments.

This has become (mostly always was) a power struggle. All over how to spend 0.1% of our federal budget, and all over something the people responsible for doing this work say they need.

Duh. Ya think maybe? If nothing else, you need that to counter the argument. You'd think politicians would be better at ... politics. But apparently not. But then, they probably think politics is all messaging. Substance not required. Which is sad on its face, but also often leads to really poor messaging...as in this case. Because so far, the counter is 'walls are immoral', and if that's all you've got, that's a losing argument.

Consider, though, that since they just now seem to be thinking this...what does that mean for actually ended the shutdown? Conversely, since they are now actually considering it, that indicates, as the article says, that they finally seem to be negotiating.

Personally, though, I don't see this ending until some funding for the wall is included in the budget. 'Negotiations' will be around what else is included, either for border security, or for other things. The shutdown won't end until Democrats resolve that. Which, as Juan Valdez indicates, is precisely what they never intend to do.

First, exactly why not having/putting forward a plan of their own has been a bad idea. Second, their positioning makes ANY funding of a wall difficult..they backed themselves into that corner. But that makes the first point all the more important, and why its striking that they're just now realizing this. Finally...one wonders why they haven't? Just that politically obtuse? Doubtful, but then never something one should rule out. Worried that the discussions won't go in their favor? Or did they really just have no plan at all, and just some sound bites...and now they're thinking 'hey, maybe we should have an, uhh, plan? In which case the truism 'failing to plan is planning to fail' might be appropriate.

#108 BigDog63, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  9. JuanValdez

You mistake what respect is then. Trump graciously came to Texas to stump for Ted Cruz. You think he respects Cruz?

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So you mainly meant understandably in a legal standpoint and that this is a political brawl? Well, duh. I should have double negged you :).

The truth is... no one outside know how critical or useful the trip is. And if this (blocking officials from doing their job) keeps going, chances are you are going to hit something critical.

From my standpoint, this is hilarious and childish, and quite devilish on Pelosi part. As for Trump - mental illness.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Your misguided take is hilariously misguided. But like me, don't take it too seriously, it's just opinions, except your is absolutely and truly misguided to the point where it's a simple fact.

12. NewRoxFan

Democrats have offered up plans and compromises over the last few months. trump has shot each and everyone down. If trump drops his demand for a vanity wall, this shutdown ends, billions get added to improve border security.

13. JuanValdez

Eh, the more it hurts, the sooner this thing will come to a head. (Having said that, people and the country could get hurt in significant ways, and it won't have been worth it. People have already been hurt and the pain is increasing and the whole thing is stupid and needless. But they did it anyway, so let's finish this thing. I want to see every ridiculous abuse of power Trump can muster and I want to see every petty counter-attack Pelosi can manage. This country lost its mind when it voted for Trump and we need to feel the consequences if we're ever going to get better.)

RayRay10 and vlaurelio like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

No, but its not a question of trump liking or respecting trump. If cruz spoke out against the wall, trump would cancel the trip and tweet about cruz's dad killing Kennedy and cruz's wife being uglier than melania.

But it wasn't out of graciousness... trump needs cruz's wall support, especially in Texas.

JuanValdez likes this.
  15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No, I think you need to apply what you said about rhetoric, and about what people say being different than what they think and what they do. Or do you disagree with yourself?

16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Likewise.

There, glad we settled that.

17. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Ya, we mostly do. Most of these trips aren't that critical. To put it into the current perspective....does anyone think it was more critical and pressing than the government being shut down? If so, by all means, please elaborate on why.

18. JuanValdez

Good idea. I was responding to the idea that Pelosi needs to pay respect before she can be treated with respect. Honestly, I don't think this process needs any respect and I don't see Pelosi much caring about respect either. She will say breathless things ("You put the lives of Reps and soldiers in danger!") to influence public opinion and put as much pressure as she can on Trump, but she doesn't need him to actually give her international trips or whatever. She just needs to maintain unity among House Democrats until somebody else breaks.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

20. NewRoxFan