1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Pelosi-Trump State of the Union Address Chess Match

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 16, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Pelosi's spokesman...

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd argue her going on the trip while the government is shut down would be her choosing to not do her job to get the government going again, so preventing her from skipping town is understandable is it not?

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For those of you who thought the Dems were going to cave on the wall in exchange for some trinkets, hope you no longer expect it. Get ready for the 2 year shutdown.

King Charles locked the doors to the English Parliment for 13 consecutive years in the 1600. Of course, that ended with the English Civil War, so maybe not a good comparison point.

Donny certainly made good contact. It's not like anybody has ever really expected him to deescalate anything. If Pelosi didnt expect something coming her way she is a fool. She probably dr idnt expect this, though.

I wouldn't have escalated it like this if I hoped to ever get a deal done but America didnt elect me so who cares what I think.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm good with it. If the Democrats refuse to negotiate and govern, things are much better if the government is completely shut down.....then when they are voted out in 2 years, the government can re-open and things can start to get done.

5. havoc1

havoc1 Member

You may want to take a look at who Americans are blaming for the shutdown before you talk about Dems being voted out.

Ottomaton likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Democrat position of not accepting what they once supported just a few years ago because orange man bad and using that as a reason to not negotiate to get the government opened back up won't age well.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pelosi made the first move with her Queen's pawn and Trump followed up with his black knight. seems pretty straightforward to me. :D

8. havoc1

havoc1 Member

Yes you keep repeating the same stuff over and over again but for some reason the American people seem to think differently. Weird.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Put your faith in those polls if you like, but I'm sure you didn't think Trump was going to be elected did you? You didn't think that the Republicans would gain seats in the Senate during the midterm that was supposed to be a "blue wave" now did you?

Keep thinking that the American people are going to be on board with a far left agenda. While you'll get plenty of support in the bluest of blue states, you'll lose the majority of them.

10. havoc1

havoc1 Member

I don’t feel like following your red herrings... so I won’t. Whether you believe the polls, fair or not, the President gets most of the blame during a shut down. I don’t see why you would think this time would be any different. (And no this is not a request for you to continue to repeat the same stuff that you have been about Democrats loving border barriers in the past.)

I’m sure you’ll come up with some convoluted reason involving Trump Derangement Syndrome or some other ridiculous assertion, but once again just because you say something or want really badly for it to be true doesn’t mean that it is.

Trump is taking the brunt of the blame for the shutdown and that isn’t going to change based on time.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL well, good luck I guess. If you think this makes Democrats look competent.....well, we'll just see. What is true though is that actual Democrats are more negatively affected by the shutdown than Republicans so we'll see how long they support Democrats keeping the government shut down over 5 billion dollars worth of border security funding when they are personally suffering. My guess is not terribly long and the longer Democrats refuse to compromise or even negotiate, the sooner they'll start feeling the heat.

Then again, in my position, I won't feel even the slightest inconvenience from the partial government shutdown for a full year at the earliest

12. NewRoxFan

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Funny thing is that there's no way those troops wanted to be forced to see Pelosi, Trump did them a favor.

14. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Funny thing Trump couldn’t care enough to visit the same troops

15. havoc1

havoc1 Member

Wow you really have a hard time staying on topic, don't you?

I never said I think the Democrats look competent. You claimed that the Democrats would be voted out of office in two years if the shutdown continued for that time. I pointed out to you that Americans are blaming Trump for the shutdown. Since the American people are the ones who vote in elections, your assertion has no basis in reality. Sure things could change in the next two years, but since you were arguing that the government staying shut down would hurt the Democrats (seemingly in lieu of hurting the Republicans and specifically Trump) I thought I would point out that America disagrees with your assertion (this is probably where you call the polls fake news again).

So in conclusion, based on the information that we have, it appears that the shutdown continuing would be much worse for Trump (and quite possibly the Republican party as a result) than it would be for Democrats. You can choose to ignore the evidence if you would like, but that choice makes you sound like you are afraid of facing reality.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So then you think they'll continue to look incompetent and yet not be voted out in 2 years if the shutdown continues....despite the fact that actual Democrats are most hurt by this incredibly petty shutdown that is only still going to prevent a small amount of border security funding that is the type of thing many Democrats have supported in the past?

Fair enough, we'll see.

17. havoc1

havoc1 Member

Yes we have established that you think they look incompetent and that America think Trump looks more incompetent.

And the second part of your post continues to have nothing to do with what we are talking about (Which is whether the American people will take out the blame on Democrats or Trump for a continued shutdown when 2020 comes along)

Harrisment likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

Former chairman of the national republican committee...

19. NewRoxFan

20. NewRoxFan

Another article from the Cook Political Report:

It Will Only Get Worse for the GOP
    https://www.cookpolitical.com/analysis/national/national-politics/it-will-only-get-worse-gop