1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Otto Porter Movement] First it was just an afterthought, then came the movement, and now....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Like the Lakers.

steddinotayto likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Anyone saying we should bypass Porter and try to get Beal with the non-assets we have is delusional as that one time I thought Chris Paul and James Harden would turn Chriss into Amare Jr.

HP3 and joshuaao like this.
  3. BigBum

BigBum Member

Wolves offer Butler and bona fide 2 First round picks for 25-yrs old Beal, was rejected.

What is your offer for Beal?

Keep Knight contract and add Beal contract?

4. icewill36

icewill36 Member

I still don’t see them taking scrubs for him even with the picks thrown in. They will take good young prospect and a pick or two versus players they feel have no future with them and 4 picks. Just as Minny wouldn’t bite, neither will the wiz IMO.

bilaal14, robbie380 and justtxyank like this.
  5. jayfree

jayfree Member

6. BigBum

BigBum Member

Knight/2 protected Firsts for JR Smith. Clearly Cavs have zero interest to Knight Contract. Nobody has.

asking price for Korver is too high.

Knight trade value is overrated on this forum.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

“I think (they have) good players, but sometimes, good players need different situations. For them, I think that it’s tough the way the league is changing. They play two bigs,” Dudley said about the combination of power forward Markieff Morris and center Dwight Howard. “In this day in age, Otto needs to play more four because he’s tall enough, more spacing.”

Dudley sees the logic of moving at least one of those three players.

“I think they’ve had enough time, but they really haven’t (broken) through,” Dudley said. “I can see by the All-Star break or summer time one of these pieces moving. It’s going to be good for them. If it’s John, or Otto or Brad, one of them three, I think their next move is going to be good for both teams."

Vivi likes this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If you're asking me they are going to want real assets like Capela, Gordon, Tucker or a combination of 2 of those guys plus picks. Even then is that a good enough offer? Probably not.

Is Beal a better player than Porter? Absolutely which is why trading for him without sacrificing the core of this team is not realistic.

HP3 likes this.
  10. aroundtheblock2

JR Smith will be unplayable in the playoffs and hes terrible on defense. Waste of a trade that gets us no closer to the Warriors. We already had controversy with Melo and now you want to bring in the guy who threw soup at his coach and threw a fit because the NBA asked him to cover a tattoo? We need focused professionals, not side show clowns.

11. jcf

jcf Member

Not doubting you, but don't understand the math/rules well enough. Why would Phoenix pay 15mm to acquire Ariza just to buy him out the same year? It has never made any sense to me.

12. jayfree

jayfree Member

HEY!!!
    [​IMG]

13. aroundtheblock2

I dont know but even with that contract Phoenix has one of the smallest payrolls in the league. Maybe they wanted a guy who would counsel their younger players and instill a better culture.

jcf likes this.
  14. jcf

jcf Member

So would cutting him send the wrong message to those younger guys? Thanks for the response. I'm still not getting it.

15. aroundtheblock2

Cut? No. Ariza could request his own buyout. Hes only on a 1 year deal either way. Wouldn't shock me if Ariza retires in a few years. Phoenix is not going to buy him out of their own accord.

He will have done pretty much all he can over the preseason and half a season of games. After that theres not a lot more to do.

jcf likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Look, if you are not on board with Porter that's fine, but bring better ideas to the table cause right now he seems like our best option.

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Rather have batum, if we goin after over paid sf. He’s a more versatile sf. We need more versatile two way players:

18. aroundtheblock2

Kent Bazemore is by far a more viable option for several reasons.

1. Atlanta is not contending for anything and is more willing to trade him. Washington could still very well make the playoffs in the east.

2. Bazemore has less money and less years on his deal. Wed be on the hook for this year, and if Bazemore opts in, next season. Bazemore makes $18-19 million each of the next 2 years including this year. Porter will be making $26-28 million each of the next 3 years and he has the production of Ariza from last year at more than triple the cost.

3. Current performance trends. Otto Porter has been trending down ever since he signed his big deal 2 seasons ago while Bazemore has kept his production up.

4. Porter is not playable at SG, Bazemore is playable at SG.

Bazemore is clearly the better and more viable option from every angle.

IvanLCPM and robbie380 like this.
  19. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Porter does seem like a realistic possibility at this point. I’m genuinely torn because I know that we have to get the right piece or pieces and we can beat GS. I have no doubt since Jeff is back and Melo is now out. MCW is out of the rotation so now the current rotation has become more clearly defined. I don’t think GG has done himself any favors and may be out of the regular rotation as well.

Going into last season I wasn’t sure that we had enough talent at the 3/4 position to beat GS. I kept wondering how our foursome of Ryno, Trev, PJ, and Luc could possibly match up against Draymond and KD. Then Luc gets hurt Ryno gets hurt and loses his confidence, and we were left with PJ, Trev and a little GG and we nearly pulled it off.

PJ has proven that he can more than hold his own vs GS. If we get the right starter at the 3 and can upgrade Ariza’s production on both ends then I believe we would much stronger than last years playoff roster.

I’ll take Clark as an upgrade to what Ryno turned into at the end of last season. He rebounds, blocks shots, switches correctly, super aggressive on close outs hustles ect. If he can gain more confidence in his shot, he can be an ideal back up at the 3, 4, and maybe a small ball 5.

I don’t expect Ennis to be as good as Luc defensively. He can offer tough gritty defense. I think he will be much more productive offensively than Luc and they could be a wash by years end. I like where he appears to be heading on both ends of the floor.

If Porter can regain his form on both ends that he had in recent years then yes he would be an ideal “super” role player. He would be a significant upgrade to Ariza.

If he is a head case now and has lost his confidence, he could be a disaster factoring in his price tag. Most willing and capable players should see an uptick in offensive production which could mean we get an even better version of Porter than what he has been previously. If he is mentally weak than he could deliver a death blow to any chances we have of maximizing a small window of opportunity.

This is why I’m torn. His size, length and basic skill set are ideal. His price is not. Mix in his recent struggles and you are dealing with one heck of a gamble.

I think we are closer to GS than many think.
    Morey just has to make the right play.

This would truly be a make or break deal.

IvanLCPM and HP3 like this.
  20. aroundtheblock2

Another God awful, roster crippling contract. We literally just got rid of Anderson finally and you guys want to bring in a few more fat contracts like his? Bad ideas.