1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The only way to defend Stephen Curry

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Jun 12, 2017.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

what makes more sense for harden as far as energy. chasing guards around or holding position against slow bigs. reading these horrible excuses just makes me sick.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

EG averaged over 30 mins in the playoffs and lou averaged 25. thats a good amount of time for "bench"

3. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

are you serious? Greg ****ing Popovich knew what he was doing

you cannot argue when someone has a 60 pound advantage on you in the post. do you have any idea what that's like? Guarding that player and then fighting him for rebounds? and he has 7 inches on you? Man you really expect heart and to be able to do everything

then just trying to bring the ball up right after and getting pressured? I've never seen one single NBA player go through that. guard a big post player, fight for the rebound, then bring the ball up against a full court press.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

but but harden is a better defender in the post they say. he sure isn't better on the perimeter.

5. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

both were inconsistent in the playoffs. The real issue also was Ryan Anderson was inconsistent. If you haven't noticed having a stretch big really helps harden out on offense. The defenses cannot collapse the same way they do with big guys in the paint when he has a reliable stretch big.

just look at the difference between this season and last season and the season before when we had D-Mo. we would use ariza and parsons at the four sometimes because of this.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

I've pointed how much a true stretch 4 would help this offense from the moment hou signed ryno

Brown Lost It likes this.
  7. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Harden iss good in the post considering his height. he can do good against smaller post players like Taj Gibson but against bigger seven footers you're wearing him out. Especially when you have to do everything else.

8. DMO (DJ remix)

Harden could be great defender, but his no Lebron, he can't do both things (stamina issues), now, maybe getting CP3 would make him spend less energy on O and he could defend well, but that's a lot of maybe's. And i agree with Brown Lost It, you need to brain dead if you're blaming Harden for not being able to defend Aldridge, i mean common son, he had to work on low block on D and carry whole offense, some of you would b**** no matter what. The minute Nene went down it was over. Harden might have choked game 6, but what about games before, how many times he was found defending Spurs bigs?

9. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Oh that's why Kerr is doing it, riiiiiight. Not one NBA player fears Curry on defense or admires his defense, not a single one. Find a quote or anything of anyone agreeing with Curry being a good defender, not great but good. You can't because not one professional player or coach thinks it. To his credit he has active hands and he gives great effort.

What about the nancy kerigan reference, did you get that or where you too stuck on the whole curry is a shitty defender? Which he is by the way.

RocketsTruth likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

:rolleyes: oh that's why kerr is doing it riiiiiiiight :rolleyes:

-Q: Who’s idea was it to give Steph a bigger defensive load this season?

-KERR: I had it in my mind when I took the job that I felt it was important for him to guard more point guards. And when I spoke with him when I took the job, he actually brought it up before I did. So he wanted to do it.

And then when I hired Ron Adams, that was about the first thing Ron said to me was, ‘Steph’s a lot better defensively than people know. He’s probably better than he knows. And we need to empower him and put him on more point guards and make him a more integral part of the defense.’

So I think it was all in our heads; so it made it a pretty easy decision. But I think it’s been really important for his development.

He’s become an excellent defender. Not just serviceable–an excellent defender. I mean, leading the league in steals, battling over screens and yet still taking on the offensive load that he does. He’s remarkable.

After a February game against the Warriors, LA Clippers head coach Doc Rivers explained the following:

“Curry, if he’s underrated in one area, it’s defensively. I think the old Curry two years ago, when we played them in the playoffs, you felt like in that series they didn’t put him on Chris much. (I found) out from different guys he wanted to be on him. People don’t talk about his defense. He gets his hands on the ball, he pokes the ball loose a lot. He’s a far better defender than (he gets credit for). So if you go into a game and that’s your game plan, you’re probably going to lose.”

11. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

big that outweight you by 50 sometimes 60 pounds

12. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

it seems like every guard has a career game againist curry, if not for kyrie being taken out by livingston and mccaw in game 5, he was on pace for another big game . kyrie had 14 in the 1st quarter of game 5 when he was healthy

ooooaaaah! likes this.
  13. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

This is from 2014, when Kobe was still playing:

The league has begun to notice that Curry is no defensive liability. Kobe Bryant pointed to that when asked if Los Angeles Lakers point guard Jeremy Lin had taken a step back after he was held scoreless in a loss to the Warriors last week.

“Well I mean, Curry is a handful, man,” Bryant said. “He’s tough.”

14. what

what Member

I prefer a better stat. Player impact estimate. In last year's playoffs, mike conley was 5th just behind LeBron James. Westbrook was 1st.
    Harden was 10th.
    People underrate conley all the time and even when stats prove him to be elite people don't believe it.

15. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Man wth is player impact estimate?

It really sounds like some bullshit that that ESPN made up.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

conley unfortunately has been a victim of the west just being stacked at the guard position during his time. it's an absolute shame hes never been rewarded with an all star appearance when he is without a doubt one, while guys like DJ get to take advantage of the C position being as bad as it is gets a spot by default

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This thread seems to describe Curry's offense as an ISO player who you have to man up and stop.

Of course, CLE stopped him on the biggest stage in last year's finals with 39mpg of Kyrie and 7mpg of a big, slow-footed PG/SG in Dellavedova.

Curry scored only 22ppg, four times held under 20 points, and shot just 40% FG%, 40% 3F%, and 53% eFG% after shooting 50%, 45% and an astronomical 63% eFG% for the season, respectively.

You need a full-team strategy to stop him (like CLE), and then it doesn't really matter who you have at PG defensively, as long as the non-defensive guys can make Curry play defense on the other end (like Irving and Harden).

18. BackdoorHarden

Well, now everyone know who he is. It's called the Steven A Smith route to frame.

YELL SAY CRAZY STUFF AND GET FAMOUS AND PAID- signed CHUCK BARKLEY

WARRIROS CAN"T WIN CHAMPIONSHIP as 3 ppoint shoooooting team!! NEVER- CHUCK BARKLEY