1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The One That Got Away

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dobro1229, Apr 7, 2011.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Marcin Gortat

2010-2011 -Orlando

Minutes -15.54
    PPG - 4.0
    Rebounds - 4.7

After Feb. Trade -

201-2011 - Phoenix

Minutes- 29.36
    PPG - 12.7
    Reb - 9.4

Salary - (not positive on this but its close) 4 years/ 27.2 Million

*Those numbers dont blow you away, but if you have watched any Sun's basketball the past few weeks, this guy has been a huge difference on both sides of the court and is making a case to be the full time starter for the Suns now going into the future. Plus, he still is only playing 29 minutes a game. Great production, especially defensively, for the minutes and price tag.

Looking Back - Give credit to Morey. I know he tried his hardest to snag this guy whenever he was a restricted free agent last summer, but felt the price tag was too high at that time for a Center who was unproven as a full-time starter. That was understandeable at the time, but now it just hurts.

However, this December it was well known that the Magic were very interested in trading for either Kevin Martin or re-aquiring Courtney Lee, but settled on the deal with Phoenix for Jason Richardson/Hedo combo and giving up on Vince Carter in the deal that had many scratching their heads. You have to wonder if there was a way the Rockets could have been more intense in those negotiations, and been able to somehow aquire Gortat without giving up a big piece like Martin.

Now Im not saying Morey should have traded Martin straight up for Gortat, but looking into the future this offseason, if the Rockets look to sign either Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, Dalembert, or Nene, their price tag will be much greater than what Gortat is getting paid now in terms of his production on the court per starters minutes vs. the average of the above listed free agent Centers.

Im usually the first one to not get caught up in what ifs, but in this case I just wish that this particular deal could have gotten done this season. Because once again, Rockets fans are going to be wondering when this team will ever get a true Center who can produce at a high level.

He doesn't have to be Hakeem... and we all know Gortat is not that. However, athletic wings in the NBA are a dime a dozen, and I hope Courtney Lee wasnt the only thing standing in the way of getting a quality Center who plays terrific defense, and is still getting better.

Im not sure about you guys, but this one stings.

2. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I would've rather have gotten Asik than Gortat for sure.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I believe that the Rockets did make Gortat a big offer, but he signed an offer sheet with the Mavs which Orlando matched.

Morey was willing to pay up for him.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was glad when we didn't offer big money to Gortat and glad again that we didn't trade a rotation player for him at the deadline. Now, I'm thinking it wouldn't have been so bad and regretting it a little. Worried that it'll be the same with Asik.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Orlando would have matched anyways and the Bulls were unwilling to trade Asik for Lee.

6. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

They went full throttle after Gortat a few years back. I think this season you were not going to pry Gortat away from Orlando without Martin.

NBA people knew that Gortat is a talented NBA center.

Proof is in the pudding.

With the Suns he's been having some solid numbers. He should only get better. Will likely turn out to be a 17 point and 10 rebound a season guy.

But trading Martin for Gortat wasn't a very realistic scenario.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The point is -

How much are the Rockets going to pay EVENTUALLY (either this offseason, or next) for a true center?

-Gortats production per 35min. is actually just as good, if not better than the free agent Centers coming out this offseason.

He might not be as good of a shot blocker as Dalembert, and Jordan, but on defense he can be very affective.

8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

He could have made a difference if he was traded earlier than our trade for Brooks

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

No more than the MLE if we sign someone as a FA.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I woud give the Suns Scola for Gortat in a second.

Interested Suns?

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Been saying we should get Gortat for the last two years

12. jopatmc

They may do Thabeet/Hill for Childress/Lopez. Would that interest you?

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

That is a steal for us.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We better get a first rounder if we are taking on Childress... :grin:

Not with Childress!

And his 5 year contract...

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Would have deprived the world of Chuck's triple double. Pass.

16. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

If I remember correctly we did not even offer the full mle.

17. langal

langal Contributing Member

LOL. good one.

18. jopatmc

That would make it even better. And yes, Childress has a loooong contract.

(Shhhh, but he's a significant upgrade at the 3 for us.....shhhhh!)

19. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought Asik was not worth Lee. I was probably wrong.

The question I have now is, What did Chicago wanted in addition to Lee for Asik? Did they even make a counter offer which Morey thought was too much, or did they tell Morey Asik was untouchable?