1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official don't re-sign Clowney thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not if he wants JJ type money.

You know he's gonna get it.

I'll give him 12 if he wants Merci money.

Scarface281 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Even on third and one with the only opportunity to have a shot at a tie or win you want him to be aggressive and jump the snap count? That's a weird position to take.

EDIT

I like the Astros to be aggressive on the bases, but if they are down by 2 with 2 outs in the 9th, it's dumb to try and stretch a double into a triple.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

There some penalties that well coached teams dont make. This isnt the first time and he isnt the only one. They should have been dealing with this all season along.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, because if he successfully jumps the snap count then he could get a big sack or a TFL, that's why he's trying to jump the snap, to make a big play.

The entire reason Luck did that was because he knew how eager the line would be and he wanted to kill that eagerness and give his Oline a good chance to get the push they need (because on the line its usually about timing...)

This is a lot like getting mad at NBA bigs for blocking a shot that's a goaltend, you'd rather the guy try to block the shot then not contest it at all...and Clowney's side was the loaded side too so he had every reason to think they may be coming at him.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Windmill! :mad:

:p

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not the same.

You answered why he shouldn't have jumped. Because Luck knew how eager our d line would be to get a good jump. He should have realized Luck was trying to draw them offsides. It happens all the time in the NFL. Having awareness in the league is all about knowing down and distance and get situations and not falling for something like that.

In the NBA, it'd be more like being down one with five seconds left and having Scotty Brooks shoot a three to win it instead of dumping it inside to Hakeem.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I’d agree in almost every situation except this exact one. It was literally the one thing you couldn’t do.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He knew down and distance though, his reaction immediately afterwards showed that. It's not like JR Smith who looked confused as to why everyone was mad at him. Clowney knows more than anyone else that he blew that play and you can see his teammates on the line all understand.

I don't agree with your comparison at all...because Clowney DID the right thing, he just didn't execute it. Everyone on the line was going to try and jump the snap and Clowney got GOT by one of the best hard counts in the NFL.

Well, he could have jumped late and then gave up the first down because he jumped late...and we'd still be talking about how we lost the game.

Remember, on the line being late is just as bad as being early. Asking him to just wait for the count is easier said than done.

As a dlinemen almost half of his skill is being able to react quick to the snap. It didn't work well for him this time. Doesn't mean he's stupid. The line was loaded on his side and he was trying to make a play.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It needs to be fixed bc this is the kind of problem that's only gonna feed itself. Teams are gonna try to push it more, and it's bound to happen in the playoffs, for some crucial first down, points, or like today, the last meaningful defensive play in a loss.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's pretty crazy that we have a thread saying don't sign one of the most productive defensive players in the NFL. This team would be a train wreck without Clowney this season. He simply can't be replaced, we might as well have a "Don't re-sign Hopkins" or "Don't re-sign Watson" thread.

Rodman23, BeardSanity and Cstyle42 like this.
  12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

There is a lot of blame to go around... I wish Clowney wouldn't have jumped but dang he did and I understand why. Not because he lacks IQ or discipline. He tried to jump the snap and simply failed... he tried to prevent a gain of one yard. Simple mistake that happened to be in crunch time.

13. Buck Turgidson

Is it McCann running?

And oh yeah, I know how much you like Altuve being "aggressive" on the bases.

14. bobrek

I like aggressiveness, it's the dumbness that bothers me.

15. bobrek

How many of the coaches do you think came up to him after the game and said..."that's OK, keep being aggressive"?

I'm guessing none

16. Buck Turgidson

"airquotes", amigo

17. conquistador#11

one play that's not getting any mention is that KJax holding. The flag came after 10 seconds of TY antics.
    They were groping Dhop, just don't call it for either. that penalty gave the colts a huge 1st down on what was about to be a punt.

Red.Glare likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"Don't re-sign George Springer, I saw him strike out once"

19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I really don’t think so because Clowney is going to want $100 million and he needs to be able to produce like that kind of player.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's all it is. Had he jumped the snap and shot into the backfield to make a big play then we'd all be praising him if the Texans went on to win the game.

It's sort of like Harden's step back, you cringe when he does it but it works well enough to tolerate it. Clowney took a risk to make a big play and it bit him hard. Oh well. Had he done it all through the game then yeah, I'd blame him, but he was disciplined all game long and played well against the run as he always, nearly every single week, does.

People are mad that we couldn't get to Luck but they at times had 7 blockers...and abandoned the run for a quick passing game...so yeah, they did everything in their power to take Watt and Clowney out of the game and our secondary (who I feel were also out of position for most of the game) really let us down this game. If Ebron is going to do this to us then I don't want to see what Gronk or Kelce will do...Mathieu and Reed have been tremendous stopping TEs and big plays all year long though so hopefully it was just an off game.

I bet they don't talk about it much at all because it's not like he was the only guy out there making mistakes.

We can ignore Watson and the numerous sacks he took for example or the Oline putting in a really bad performance. Clowney and the Dline mostly did their job today. Didn't get many sacks but again, the Colts entire gameplan seemed to prevent that from happening at all costs.

Also that Watson's sacks come from the same mentality as Clowney. Just trying to make a good play. No one is saying that Clowney should always jump the snap and get flagged...just that with him being a really aggressive player it will, sometimes, not work out for him. It's like how assists leaders can also lead the league in TOs or HR hitters can rack up Strikeouts...you take the good with the bad.

I think people are forgetting in this situation there is a risk if he doesn't get off the snap right, then the blocker gets their hands on him and he was only defending 1 yard so every inch counts.

Honestly, had it been 3rd and 6 I'd be a lot more upset with him...but with it being 3rd and 1 I completely understand that he's just trying to make a big play.