1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The New Orleans Hornets...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by UTweezer, Apr 30, 2002.

1. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

So are they going to change the name?

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I think Utah should let them have the name so that they can become the Stormin' Mormons.

3. BigEasyRocket

BigEasyRocket Member

It is the belief here in NO that the name Hornets will remain. The only possible way that would be changed is if Utah agrees to give NO the Jazz name back. Other than that I cannot think of a good name that is not already spoken for. Brass would be the best but that is the name of NO's minor leauge hockey team. The only other name I heard mentioned was Pelicians (which I personally think is lame). You may see a change in the uniforms and colors (to the purple,green and gold mardi gras colors) but not for at least a year or so.

4. german rocketfan

:D

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

What about the WNBA Charlotte Sting? Are they moving to New Orleans or will be relocated to another city like San Antonio?

6. BigEasyRocket

BigEasyRocket Member

As of now we have received no news regarding the relocation of the Sting, other than it is unlikely. There have also been several reports that they will play this season in CLT, and may remain there. That does not make much sense to me as CLT has shown problems supporting an NBA team this season. My guess would be they will be sold and moved to another NBA city. Though NO has a strong intrest in the NBA I dobut there is much in the WNBA. By the way what is average attendance in the WNBA? By the way if any of you guys want up to the minute relocation news log on to www.neworleanshornets.com , this site looks to be the future clutchcity.net of the NEW ORLEANS Hornets.

7. mfclark

mfclark Member

If they become the New Orleans Hornets (likely), that site will get a few cease and desist letters from the NBA for trademark infringement and they'll likely have to give up the domain to the NBA.

Also, it is my understanding that the WNBA teams in the same city as an NBA team is owned by the same people who own the NBA team; thus, I'd imagine the Sting would either move to New Orleans or the franchise would transfer ownership to another NBC city without a WNBA team in place.

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I seem to recall some team a few years ago considering a move to NO. Anyway, Utah said they would have no problems giving up their name so it could return to NO...wonder if they still feel the same way.

9. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

They could always adopt the name of our OOTP team. N.O. Crawdads. Or they could be the N.O. Flood, or the N.O. cajuns, or the N.O. Gar. Oh well just some ideas

CK

10. Oski2005

We should help NO brainstorm a new name for the team. Here are some ideas to get started:

Crawdads
    Bayou
    The Emerils

Serioulsy though, how about the New Orleans Alligators, or New Orleans Gators? It would probably sound better if it were the Louisiana Gators.

11. BigEasyRocket

BigEasyRocket Member

They may or may not have to give up the domain name, depends on the team owners, less than the nba. While the NBA may have the name Hornets trademarked I am willing to say it is a strech to say they (NBA) can trademark the name of New Orleans. The teams offocial web site is www.hornets.com and we do not expect this to change with the move. Hopefully the owners of the Hornets will work with the owners of www.neworleanshornets.com and allow them to continue operations with this domain name. For the time being they are the best source of free advertising the Hornets have in NO. In fact several of the Hornets promotion managers are on the message boards daily promoting things such as ticket sales, watch parties the relocation. Judging the situation by this I would guess the Hornets will allow the web site to remain active and possibly act as a sponsor.

Like I said before I belive the Sting will be sold to another NBA team by Shinn and Wooldrige, relocate and continue to play in the leauge. Any guesses on which team would have intrest in the WNBA in their city?

12. BigEasyRocket

BigEasyRocket Member

There is already a college team with the name Gators. Sevral others discussed were the VooDoo, Hurricanes, and Krewe (as in mardi gras krewe). VooDoo sounded good but that name is about to be taken by Benson's new arena football team. Like I said I still think Brass would be the best, were it not already spoken for.

13. Oski2005

Hurricanes sounds good to me. The New Orleans Hurricanes. . . That "s" at the end of Orleans makes it hard for any name to sound good. I think the people of NO should consider going with Louisiana. Like the Minnesota t-wolves and Vikings, Florida Marlins, Texas Rangers. You could use the Big Easy nickname also, like the Golden State Warriors or the New England Pats.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Clutchcity is the best advertising the Rockets have, but that didn't stop the NBA from sending Clutch cease and desist letters. And the Hornets owners don't really seem like the generous type.

Btw, on naming, I think they should keep the name Hornets. Hornets are plentiful enough in the New Orleans area (unlike grizzlies in Memphis), for one. And it helps preserve the history of the franchise.

Taking back the Jazz name would cause undue confusion in franchise identity.

15. Smokey

The Titans and Texans were once used by other franchises, so could the "Bullets" logo be unretired?

New Orleans Royals doesn't sound so bad either...

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

With a name change -

NEW ORLEANS DELTA DEVILS

Keeping the same name -

Change the logo from an insect to a musical instrument
    "Horn-ets" is in clarinets, trumpets, and saxes!

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Bayou sounded pretty good to me.

Albino Alligators would be a cool logo.

Cajun Crawfish

18. Smokey

New Orleans Horns, I like it! :D

19. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Actually, I believe the NBA owns all the WNBA teams, the local NBA teams just contract to manage the individual WNBA teams.

20. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

someone suggested the NEW ORLEANS VOODOO

hmm...sounds ok?