1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The New ClutchFans Forums

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Clutch, Sep 22, 2016.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I almost always have matlab/R running through something in the background while I look at clutchfans.

I'm sure that has something to do with it as well.

Additionally, I like using Microsoft Edge so that might play a part.

It's definitely mainly the advertisements though. It likely pre-dates the forum upgrade. I haven't used the desktop version much lately so I can't fully recall.

I think a lot of the advertisements in the recent past have been more troublesome than they were back in the day.

2. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

The one thing that bothers me most about the new forums is the line spacing. There's a lot more scrolling action to get through the same amount of material. Old forum spacing allowed for faster digestion of content. Like many others, would also prefer a 'darker' theme to choose from.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Played around on the internet a bit this weekend which I rarely do and I did notice I am frequently this site much less now. Just really dislike the layout, hate the white, etc. I'm on another forum that has this kind of set up with many more tweaks (to be fair they've been up for 4-5 years, so they've fixed their issues) and I love their setup. I guess I'm just nostalgic, I just don't find this aesthetically appeasing at all. Miss the old layout, a lot.

Also, really dislike the desktop look. The pages only fill the middle of my screen so I have large empty sides to the left and right. Also cannot lurk here at work that much any longer. It's too obvious I'm on the internets due to the brightness.

Hydhypedplaya likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LonghornFan likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

FYI - I used the s-word and it wasn't filtered into *&$#!$#$ symbols. So I did it manually.

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Thanks bruh, MUCH better.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sometimes the bar at the top of my screen that includes the link to my profile and mailbox is black. Other times it's red (even when I have no alerts). Any reason for that? Does red mean anything?

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

When you're in the Texans forum, correct? There is a slightly altered theme for the Texans forum right now that is the same white/light greys with blue and red.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That is exactly it. I like it. Cool.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Hadn't been around much lately so this was a total surprise to me today.

Don't have much to say about it other than to put my vote in for a dark side theme as that was my default theme since you introduced it.

On second thought....I don't know if it has anything to do with this site, but all the sudden flash is constantly crashing while reading these pages. Anyone else experiencing this on Chrome?

Edit 2: Testing on Edge, works flawlessly, no lag or other issues. Something on here is really screwing with the flash in chrome since it works fine as long as I'm not browsing here.

#130 Rockets2K, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  11. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Has Tapatalk been discussed yet? Please find a way to get clutchfans on tapatalk. It's the absolute best way to to post and read on any forum on your phone or tablet.

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

gotta say I love the "eternal sunshine" feature. It's like bballholic and dadakota never existed. I'm surprised I even remembered their names.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The navigation bar at the top and bottom of the page (that has home, forums, Clutchfans, then the forum name, and then right-justified the Quick Navigation button) is hard to find because the color contrast is low. In the old format and the new I'd use this bar to zip around quicker. I'm sure I will eventually train myself to find it quicker but I humbly suggest you do something to make the bar pop so people can find it quickly.

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch. To echo some others feedback, when viewing on a PC I think there needs to be more contrast or division between post, signature, and the bottom space for likes/report/reply. It all sort of bleeds together and is hard to tell where the post ends. I've disabled signatures in preferences which helps a little. Also perhaps a slightly darker grey background (aside from a dark theme) would be nice and easier on the eyes IMO.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Speaking of which, do the Home Icon and "Forums" text both go to the same place? Are they truly redundant -- with one in Icon picture form, and the other Text form? Or do they sometimes link to different things.

btw: do you ever click the ClutchFans logo at the top of the page? It also goes to the same place the Home Icon goes to. Always has. Even in the old version, I guess I'm the only one who would really like a link to the actual home page of www.clutchfans.net ... Logo seems like the ideal candidate.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

@heypartner you're right they look redundant, as does ClutchFans. Really all I really want is the forum/subforum link to go back to the thread list and the quick navigation button on the right to change to a different subforum. I don't need Home for anything. And since there is this ribbon on the top that is always available, maybe the quick nav button should go up there.

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I am only seeing the top half of embedded youtube videos. Is anyone else getting this?

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Occasionally. Same with tweets sometimes. No rhyme or reason I can figure out yet, though. Currently just refreshing to see if the behavior goes away

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Interesting replies. Maybe it's because I'm a 20th Century guy who's salad days were back when cell phones were science fiction and if you drove off in your car from anywhere, no one knew where you were unless you found a phone and called them (that's freedom!), but I find the change amazing and the more I use the new format, the more things I discover that I can now do on the BBS. There are always "bugs" that take time to discover and correct in any revolution. That's where we are at the moment. Fumigating the bugs.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

The new ignore feature is A+.