1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The NBA's pursuing a vote on NBA Draft Lottery reform before the start of season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. lionaire

lionaire Member

Of course OKC voted no. They’re fully aware the team is about to be absolute trash in 18-19.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Being #14 still sucks. It wouldn't have helped the Rockets during the mid-2000s.

5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

A very good change to the lottery system. This new system will greatly reduce if not totally eliminate tanking for the worst record in the NBA like Philly did for 2 or 3 season. Of course some tanking will still exist, but the incentive to be the unabashedly absolute worst team in the league like Hinkley did has been eliminated.

Love that there is only a negligible 3.5% difference between the 1st and 5th place teams for the #1 pick and the gradual decline in % for teams 6 to 14. There's no longer a huge odds difference between teams 1 and 3/4/5 or 2 and 4/5/6 etc. And despite the fear mongering by many that the new system will caused teams to tank for the 14th pick... no, 14th remains unchanged, it still sucks.

6. what

what Member

It looks like they weighted it more towards the 6,7,8,9 teams haveca lot better odds, which is fine with me. You still have to be well below the playoff threshold to have the greater odds.

da_juice likes this.
  7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I can't find one thing that makes sense in that.

So say that happens. A player can never leave the team that drafted them of their own free will.

But the team can turn right around at any minute and ship that loyal players' ass off to a different team?

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I like the new odds. It takes away incentive for blatant tanking. It was just the right decision to tank before. Why would you even try to win when there was such a big reward for losing? I also love how OKC voted no. Now if Westbrook and PG leave they can't just pull a Philly for the next five years.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The NFL has free agency too. What do you mean they are draft heavy? You mean they draft a bunch of players that spend their entire careers on one team? Because that is not the case. There's parity in the NFL mainly because of the hard cap. Teams literally cannot spend to keep a super team together. NBA teams with good management would love to have that kind of structure, but the players union would never agree to it.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Morey said that in the Howard Beck podcast. Kept telling you to listen to it. but you didn't want to take the time to listen. :p

11. what

what Member

I did not specifically say that. But here is what i would do to curb the team trading a player. If a team forces youbto stay with them, you as a player gain the right to a no trade clause that you can waive if you want to, or not.
    I dont believe a player should ever have unfettered free agency, but i am fine with restricted free agency, as long as the drafting team can match any deal without penalty.

12. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

What? How does this draft proposal kill the incentive to go for the 8th spot in the playoffs when the % for the 14th spot remains unchanged???
    If the NBA had no free agency, coupled with no changed to the lottery system, how would that discourage teams from tanking??? Sure they could keep there players from leaving but that doesn't negate the fact that there are only so many superstars in the league at the same time. And without FA the only way to get those stars would be via trade or draft. Not only would teams have less avenue to acquire a star, they would have more incentive to tank for the top pick, knowing that the odds for the worst team was 25% AND that the player they drafted was theirs to keep in perpetuity.

13. what

what Member

Nobody is doubting there are only so many superstars. What you are trying to prevent is them teaming up and prevent secondary stars from joining them.

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

but how does your proposal "stop the majority" of tanking as you claim. Your proposal of limiting trade, eliminating free agents and not changing the lottery system does nothing to stop tanking but only further incentivise it.

Also you still havent address your claim that the new lottery systems will discourage team from going for the 8th spot and why you are "of course" against the changes.

15. what

what Member

The new system isnt how i expected it to be. The new system doesnt encourage the 8th seed to tank. So im fine with it.
    If superstars werent allowed to leave or threarening to leave there would be less need to blow it up, after 6 years. Teams would have more time to build teams.

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Well the sixers are lucky since they just ended there process of tankin

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Your expected pick is still better the worse you are. It's just not as tilted in being he absolute worse.

This seems like a reaction to one team trying something out. I feel like we've seen more teams get lucky and get the top pick over the last 20 years (Spurs, Rockets, Cavs and others) without being the worst and in some cases without being even close to the worst, than we have seen long sustained tanking.

Heck the top pick this year was by a team who didn't even own their own pick. No tanking incentive.

Plus tanking or not the Sixers still suck and are really terrible. They might have finally pointed things in the right direction. Or not. Who knows.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Seems like a good and levelheaded reform to change the slope of the curve. The wholesale changes some people were proposing would be all kinds of chaos.

da_juice likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Stan Van Gundy: Get rid of draft to curb tanking

Detroit Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy believes that the solution to discourage the worst NBA teams from tanking their seasons is to wipe out the NBA draft.

"I'd get rid of it, just get rid of the draft altogether," Van Gundy told reporters after practice Friday. "We'd just deal with the salary cap. Make all [rookies] free agents coming in, and if I want to go give a guy $50 million a year, good, but I got to do it under the cap."

Van Gundy said he doesn't think his proposal would lead to rookies flocking to one team and creating further disparity within the NBA.

"They say everybody would want to go to L.A. Well, how much money are they going to give up to go to those places?" Van Gundy said.

The Pistons won't be affected by the new lottery system, Van Gundy said, because the team won't tank games under his watch.

The coach also proposed eliminating max contracts as part of his plan, an idea he has previously expressed. He said that max contracts are the reason so-called superteams can form.​