1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The nba is going to have to become the Kardashians to survive

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Feb 26, 2023.

1. what

what Member

Right now, my grizzlies are the second in the west, with a budding superstar Ja Morant, and other intriguing players on the team — and I could not care less. I’d rather spend 40 minutes scrolling through Addison Rae’s TikTok account than to watch the game.

Part of the problem for me is that the nba and other sports have made basketball all about the star players rather than fostering rivalries between clubs.

Why should I care about a random game on Tuesday night when 3 quarters of the game is bullshit basketball anyway. Players are playing less hard for more of the game than ever before.

The regular season does not matter, and Adam Silver knows this, and this whole mid-season tournament mess, which isn’t going to bring any more excitement than the all star game does every year.

The nba needs to adopt the Kardashian/wwe type format. Me personally I want to be in the lock rooms, I want to have access before and after the games with refs. I need to see game film and listen to strategy and walkthroughs and also need to see scripted or unscripted commentary between players and I need to see players actually give a **** or the nba is going to be a dying league in my book.

I felt this way about the superbowl, that at the end of the day, it is just another boring football game and the fact that the game ended by the teams running out the clock was extra putrid in my book.

The one good thing about baseball is that there is no time clock and baseball games can and do have a lot of tension, but even in baseball they could be doing a lot more to get the casual fan to matter and not just stat geeks who follow the sport.

The one thing about social media is that it has made anything that wants to compete with it to have to have the same level of personalization.

Too long the nba and other sports just bank on the fact that they are the best this or that and so the audience is built in but I think that is probably going to be their downfall.

#1 what, Feb 26, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  2. RocketsDraftTV

what if I told you, the nba is already basically wwe, from the alleged magnetizing of rims and pro wrestling like storylines/narratives that happen throughout each nba season

this is the 76th official season of the nba, so logically the 76ers should win the title right??

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Exactly.

This is the 77th NBA season, though. I

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I wonder if Millenials and Gen Z will support watching sports as much as previous generations.

Much of this BBS for example seems to be older fans.

snowconeman22 and Jontro like this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

“I’d rather spend 40 minutes scrolling through Addison Rae’s TikTok account than to watch the game.“

o_O

Dead lord…

Jontro likes this.
  6. what

what Member

Pre-determined outcomes is more about fostering the hot star player than anything else, which is a depression-era mindset.

The nba is not ultimately about entertainment, such as the wwe, but more about hanging their league on a few star players and a few big markets.

Again, the nba (as fast as it is) is slow and boring to most kids these days. This isn’t the 80s anymore. And nobody cares about what MJ did.

To me, baseball is the least flawed sport, but they don’t have any marketing sense whatsoever. In baseball, every at bat is crucial. No other sport can say that. And I will be interested in seeing how the new rules pan out.

Most fans these days (or at least) when the playoffs roll around can get swept up in the hype if their team has a chance and the leagues will feel as if their sport is still massively popular, but when said team suddenly regresses back to mediocrity, crickets.
    The only good thing about football that it has going for it is that each team only plays once a week. If it were anymore than that, and the stadiums would be empty.

College football has the right idea in that they have built in rivalries, and with the likeness rules and such we may see a change for the better.

But again, I have been a basketball fan all my life and I can’t really stomach watching the games anymore.

7. what

what Member

yup, it has come to that.

8. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

more games -> longer season -> more profit (for this league)
    bigger cake -> higher salaries (for players) -> richer & sloppier
    ->
    richer -> (gotta figure out stay healthy and extent career) -> layback in games of regular -> only playoff matters a little bit

9. PeppermintCandy

Personally, I think having so many players join the league straight out of high school or after a year of college year after year has diluted the quality of the NBA game. Outside of a few extremely talented players, they seem to often lack basic understanding of the game. And on most NBA teams, it's a crapshoot whether they'll obtain this foundational knowledge going forward.

That said, I understand that the college system is flawed and that there is no financial incentive for these kids not to jump to the professional level as soon as they can.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

@Asian Sensation get a load of this comment :rolleyes:

11. Asian Sensation

RKREBORN and RocketsDraftTV like this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

im all for 24/7 bts nba reality. just put it in one of those already existing streaming services. no new platform pls.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

NBA like the Kardashians? Are you saying you want to see a Jokic sex tape?? :eek:

TimDuncanDonaut and daywalker02 like this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Maybe Doris and Ramona. :eek:

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

[​IMG]