1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The most intolerant university in America?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Aug 21, 2017.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why? Do they have notoriously bad food?

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I mean it's an odd thing to do.

Why go to a university you don't go to in order to eat lunch?

And even if you were to do that, why go to a third rate University?

I guess I could understand going to see a beautiful campus. I dont get it either way.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The real reason those blonde girls were visiting Howard.

[​IMG]

This was taking after lunch. No wonder the black girls didn't like them hanging around.

[​IMG]

#63 heypartner, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    DudeWah likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

HS kids do group college tours all the time.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It looks like they removed the Trump gear for the after lunch picture. So they brought a change of clothes with them for the college tour?

6. hlcc

hlcc Member

Usually to highly ranked prestigious colleges

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

wait what? They do it at any major public university. I wouldn't consider my school an elite private school. It's a good public school and I have seen tour groups all throughout the year.

#67 fchowd0311, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I've seen groups taking tours of community colleges.

No Worries likes this.
  9. hlcc

hlcc Member

Really? Wow,, didn't know that. Are these mainly in state tour groups though? I can't imagine traveling 200 miles to visit some 120ish ranked private school.

10. fchowd0311

I see them walking around campus. They are high school kids. I don't talk to talk to them and ask for details. I just see tour groups walk around campus all the time.

11. Buck Turgidson

They were visiting DC in general, and decided to stop off at Howard. It's in the frikking op.

12. fchowd0311

Seriously. How snobish do you have to be to assume only elite private schools deserve prospective students visiting them? Does college rank have much to do with parents and prospective students wanting to visit the facilities their children are going to live in for the next 4 years?

I mean not everyone can be a sociology or business administration major at an elite private school.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That's not accurate nor would it be very useful for most public high schoolers' college planning.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

And then teleported to College Station.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. hlcc

hlcc Member

I stand corrected. For my undergrad & MBA I didn't really bother with any campus visits, I did go to I think 2 visits and that's only to satisfy the "show that you are interested in the school" requirement and get the interview out of the way at the same time.

16. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

No, my logic has left you unable to debate.

I'm not the biased one here, you're projecting.

17. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I see dozens of Elementary, Intermediate, and HS groups tour UH all year long. The only time you don't see those groups is during the summer, when the tours consist of incoming Freshmen getting their orientation.

Those are the days I avoid the dining halls, little worse (in a university dining hall) than 400 elementary school children clogging the pizza line.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Nikole Hannah-Jones, Ta-Nehisi Coates appointments signal new era for Howard University
    "The recent growth at Howard University comes a few years after students waged a nine-day protest over conditions at the school and called for their president’s resignation":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2021/07/10/howard-university-hannah-jones-coates-rashad/

excerpt:

The past year has been very good to Howard University.

One of its alumna — Kamala D. Harris — ascended to the vice presidency, the first graduate of a historically Black college or university to do so. The school, once beset with financial problems, has secured several multimillion dollar donations. It launched new academic programs, a women’s center and a coronavirus vaccine clinic that has inoculated more than 40,000 people.

And last week, the university scored a coup, announcing Nikole Hannah-Jones and Ta-Nehisi Coates as new faculty. Hannah-Jones picked the D.C. school after a long, contentious effort by her alma mater, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, to recruit her.

All of these developments came during a time of campus closures triggered by the coronavirus pandemic and protests over racial justice. They also materialized just three years after Howard students waged a nine-day protest over conditions at the school and called for their president’s resignation.
    more at the link

also the most highly rated racist comment there:

As long as Howard continues to focus on celebrity over intellect, and to foster the concept of racial segregation for its student body, the university is doomed to a destiny of mediocrity. As proof, take a look at the SAT scores of incoming freshman at Howard versus the Ivy League schools - no comparison.​

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

On heels of tenure debate, non-tenured faculty at Howard U. decry working conditions

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2021/07/18/howard-professors-working-conditions/

An open letter addressed to Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and incoming Howard University professor Nikole Hannah-Jones is bringing attention to deep-seated issues its author said are felt by a “devalued and disrespected faculty” at the historically Black institution in Washington.

The letter’s author, who claims to be a faculty member, is unknown. But the individual’s pleas for higher pay and better working conditions have resonated with faculty without tenure — the job protection measure that brought Hannah-Jones to Howard after a contentious recruitment by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, which initially hired her without the status.

The letter, posted last week to Medium.com, outlined grievances that have been the focus of a fledgling union of more than 100 non-tenure-track faculty, including lecturers and master instructors. Specifically, it has reignited calls to raise salaries, as well as end policies that require lecturers to reapply for their jobs at the end of each school year and leave their teaching position after seven years.
    more at the link