1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Morey issue isn't just a totalitarian government, but also different POV on even basic things

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by meh, Oct 8, 2019.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

As someone who has really never been that political (this may be my first D&D thread cause I feel this doesn't belong in GARM), I never really ventured into the domain of Chinese politics until these past few days since it involved my favorite sports team. And honestly the rabbit hole is so much deeper than I imagined. And there are too many things that I can probably fill a thesis paper with the amount of contents that I've read. However, I will just share one issue that I saw fairly often in my reading. And I think it serves as a good bar on the divide.

Essentially, the argument against why NBA should punish Morey despite "Freedom of Expression" is because The NBA punished Donald Sterling for his free speech but not Daryl Morey.

This is a piece from China Daily (China's official English news outlet) facebook page

This was China's mega sports forum hupu thread on Adam Silver's official press release.

Since the latter is in Chinese, I will go ahead and translate the top comments. You can google translate the rest and probably have a decent idea of some of what they say

1. Why was Sterling forced to sell the team?

2. Sterling: Can I get my money back (link to Silver's fine for Sterling)

3. I'll reiterate, Sterling was wronged

4. Sterling: Why were Morey and Silver born? (this is apparently just a phrase to say screw Morey/Silver, likely a pun for some famous Chinese saying I don't know about) Double Standard being applied. Let's fight to the end!

5. Generic Chinese curse here

6. Scram (directed at Silver)

7. Sterling was wronged, why didn't he have freedom of speech?

I am bringing this up because this goes to show just how differently people can view things from different perspectives. Just like Americans don't understand how Chinese people can think how they think, Chinese people are the same when it comes to even basic American ideals.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Huh? I’m sorry, what is the connection between Sterling and Morey here?

Sterling was ousted for making racist comments and because the players were fed up with him and on the verge of boycotting playoff games.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. adoo

adoo Member

false equivalency by China Daily----force-fitting a square into a circle---as there is no similarity between Morey and Sterling.

morey's case is similar to LBJ calling the dotard in the WH a bum.

the Sterling case is similar to MLB's McCourt case (previous owner of the LA Dodgers)
    • both penny-pinching mofo who were embarrassments to their sports.
      • their actions run counter to the best interest of their respective sports league
    • both sports leagues were looking for ways to force these mofo to sell their teams

#3 adoo, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    RayRay10 likes this.
  4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Chinese people think they can bully and are trying their luck. It is not complicated.