1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The media's utterly disgraceful role in diverting American voters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ONRQZshyrPI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is ridiculous, and he did the same for Trump. Where is the sense of responsibility for these people. When did it become ok for politicians to market themselves exactly the way celebrities do.

Why would you help a politician show their cool side when she admitted the previous week that she's going to try to fake a likeable side of her?

In this video Fallon is essentially a marketing tool in a campaign to divert Americans as much as possible from the truth about Hillary. Fallon can use the candidates for content for his show, that is fair because he's an entertainer. But to write and produce a skit which serves the purpose that her campaign announced last week?

And Hillary, for F's sake you're a grown ass woman with a track record in government. Why are you going on Fallon and Ellen when there are serious questions to address. If this was just her having fun I would say more power to her, politicians are human.

But this is WORK, this is MARKETING and this is what it looks like.

No wonder the number of voters is shameful, and the people voting are those who watch Fallon - nothing but a dominance of media could explain why Americans vote so aggressively for two parties which ignore their well being regularly.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

What can you say? The guy likes to kiss some celebrity/politician ass.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Kissing ass is his business, I don't care for it but it's really up to him.

Participating in lying to the public about who Hillary Clinton really is - that's not just kissing ass. He is participating in manufacturing a fake persona in order for people to vote for her. This is a primetime show, do you know how many young people are going to watch this?

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

When was the last open and free TV debate about government in the UAE?

5. Remii

Remii Member

Is Fallon a reporter who is part of the news media, or is he a entertainer..?

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

How do you know this is not how Hillary really is? Do you know her personally?

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

what a bizarre criticism.

I've met politicians who appear cold and calculating on TV but are really personable and charismatic in person. Just because a comedy sketch on Fallon doesn't mesh with your perception of a candidate doesn't mean she's faking it or hiding the 'real' her.

And a heads up. The cool kids are no longer watching Fallon. It's all about Colbert's new show.

...and funny sketch by the way. So thanks for that.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

For the show, they're going to ACT and put on a different presentation. They are in on the skit or scene. It's TV. It's entertainment. Jimmy Fallon doesn't know how to SERIOUSLY interview something so "comedy" is his bit. It's nothing SERIOUS, man.

:mad: #)^@%()*&^!!!

:p Relax. All of us ACT differently in different settings at certain levels.

10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

havent politicians and political candidates been appearing on late night talk shows for decades now?

11. TheresTheDagger

The clip that started all this....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CRatTuWdT_Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

^^^ cool guy

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I believe he did this on Carson as well back in the '80s; but yeah, this definitely pushed the generational issue that was ultimately Bush's downfall.

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Lately I've noticed there are a lot of people on this forum who aren't Americans who seem to criticize things the United States does (or things that happen here) quite a lot.

Really odd thing to do when most of them haven't spent much time here at all (it seems that way) and the majority of this board is obviously American. It seems like a weird place to voice all your "America does this wrong!" opinions.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yes, but we're probably long gone from something like this..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/01tTeOzPuZQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It's a lot better than having every political party and and constitutional concession based on ethnic tribal lines, or, you know, still having ****ing tribes.

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I mean you know, maybe it's not. But over the course of the last 500 years or so (at minimum) it has been proven that the current system is better.

I would be willing to accept criticism of what is wrong with America's media/politics/voters (there's a lot wrong) if it wasn't coming from someone who lives in a place where almost everything is wrong with those things.

Every time I go to the Middle East (regardless of which country) I'm reminded how bad the government system is there.

Maybe the tables will eventually flip. But until then...

It's just a weird take for someone from there to have such scolding criticism about the USA and then post that on a board constituted of an overwhelming majority American population.

Mathloom is a pretty smart guy. But his criticism is akin to someone who went to Sam Houston State and only took finance 3301 trying to criticize a post-graduate class at the London School of Economics for how they value options.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It is caused by Mathloom's fanatical ideological beliefs of political Islam. The whole "America's bases in 'holy land' are the root of all evil" schtick is actually the same argument Bin Laden used to make, as well as the government of Iran. It's motivated by Islamist ideology.

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

If I recall correctly, in the past sometime he has refuted that assertion of yours and it seemed to have some validity to it.

I obviously don't remember everything that was said. But he often does bring up some valid points. On this topic, however, I disagree with him and it's hard to take his criticism seriously due to the terrible governments of the Middle East.

It's not just him though who I've noticed this tend from. There's been other foreign poster lately whose governments are not on par with the US (much less better) who have been saying similar things, while hardly accepting criticism of their own country.

I find your takes to be fair on these topics actually. While sometimes you make a criticism, you also acknowledge the state of affairs both in Germany and in European politics as a whole has its own big issues.

That's a balanced take.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He actually worked for the dictatorship in the UAE. If he was a dissident who lives in exile or something and is at least as critical of the human rights violations in the country he is from, and then goes and also criticizes the USA, it would be different. But to work for a dictatorship and then go and constantly badmouth the country that actually is the host for the free discussion you are allowed to have - which the government you work for denies its own citizens - that seems very, very hypocritical.

1 person likes this.