1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Low-budget/Indie Movie Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 22, 2024.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Watched LOLA (2023) today while I worked. Great 'Found Footage' Sci-Fi movie about a pair of British girls in the 1930s who invent a device that can receive TV broadcasts from the future. Once Germany attacks the UK, they get involved and it starts to change the future, but of course, only they know the 'old' future. I had a few gripes about the high quality of the 'found' video being so high res, although they do explain why they have audio in the video at one point; the smart sister has figured out how to use the film to store sound as well. Only 79 minutes long, fairly thought provoking, good quick 'alternate past' watch and a creative use of the 'Found Footage' trope.

Rashmon and B-Bob like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Sean Baker is a genius at making films on a budget. He shot this film with iphone 5s.

Xerobull likes this.
  3. lpbman

lpbman Member

Don't think they are indie, and I have no idea about the budgets... but some movies I've enjoyed for a long time that no one I speak to has ever heard of is:

Freeway (1996)- Reece Witherspoon, Kiefer Sutherland, and lots of familiar faces "A teenage juvenile delinquent on the run from a social worker travelling to her grandmother's house" doesn't fully encompass the wild ride you're about to go on.

Thursday (1998)- "A former L.A. drug dealer has moved to Houston to make a new life for himself as a married architect. Everything falls apart when he is suddenly visited by an old friend."

Niagra Niagra (1997)- An outsider and a young woman plagued by Tourette's syndrome meet and together journey to Canada.... <-- I haven't watched this one again to see if it holds up. Could be I just have a thing for Robin Tunney

The Last Time I Commited Suicide (1997)- Thomas Jane, Keanu Reeves, Adrien Brody as characters from the beat generation.

The Butcher Boy (1997)- Francie and Joe live the usual playful, fantasy filled childhoods of normal boys. However, with a violent, alcoholic father and a manic depressive, suicidal mother the pressure on Francie to grow up are immense. When Francie's world turns to madness, he tries to counter it with further insanity, with dire consequences.
    Pretty sure I saw this in high school, don't remember much of it but thought of it when I read this question, and it's a 7.1 on IMDB

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Salvy

Salvy Member

Karen is such an immersive and thrilling movie, highly recommend....

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Watched The Artifice Girl (2023) yesterday and today. Sci-Fi flick about an AI that was created to catch sexual predators, and it's evolution. Interesting premise, very low budget, like four rooms indoor with very low lighting and a brief shot of a shed. The great Lance Hendrickson shows up in the third act. Could have been better but worth a watch.

It's free to stream on Tubi: https://tubitv.com/movies/100008504/the-artifice-girl?=undefined&startPos=5

6. Buck Turgidson

7. Buck Turgidson

I know that you know these things:

Monsters
    Moon
    Blue Ruin
    Arkansas
    Something else with Willem Defoe, 6 or 8 movies, they're all good

Xerobull likes this.