1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The line of scrimmage

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Aug 26, 2023.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The line of scrimmage play will make or break our entire season.

I think the defensive line will be fairly decent. Probably top half of the league. It's the offense I'm concerned with, and I'll tell you why.

Who is setting the protections? Is it Scruggs? Is CJ adjusting them? Either way, it's a rookie. It's already reared it's head in preseason. We've made some questionable adjustments to our blocking schemes with the ones, and it's caused CJ to get unneeded pressure and panic.

Hopefully both players learn quick. I think with good line play, we should be a fringe playoff team, to be honest.

I'm just worried that this season is going to expose the difference between signing a free agent center and starting a rookie, considering the rookie quarterback that likely had no protection responsibility in college.

2. Buck Turgidson

I expect a proper skirmish from both sides of the scrimmage line.

If they can run block and stop the run...we may have something.

raining threes likes this.
  3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly if our biggest line problem is the O-line calling the wrong protections, I'll be pretty happy. That seems like a much easier thing to fix than just not having the right talent/size/skill at the various positions.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. vince

vince Member

I subscribe that the team that controls the line of scrimmage will likely win the game 9 out of 10 times.

Line of scrimmage may be described as boring by many; but football in the trenches beats the opposing team into submission. It’s the jab, the body punch, much like in boxing, no flair but takes out the knees - eventually.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think the lack of depth on the OL is going to kill us. The first team is blocking well. Juice getting hurt is a real set back. I think we have amazing depth on the DL, but that run defense is not looking good right now. It seems most of the problems are with containment on the outside and an occasional bad read by the mike. Hopefully we will get it straightened out. I expect Baltimore is going to kill us with the run. Before the Juice injury I would’ve took the 10.5, but now I think not.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I must have missed the Juice injury, what happened?

7. Qan

Qan Member

Hamstring

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Weakest unit on the team, along with WR

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's definitely disappointing with a rookie starter to have such a pitiful line of protection and no star receivers. I really hope Tank's speed helps open the possibilities for some deep routes. I'm afraid CJ wont have much time to get rid of the ball. He's gonna have to learn the hard way. The Texans haven't had a great offensive line or superstar wide receivers in ages. It's sad.

ROCKSS likes this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The line of scrimmage is going to be where the Texans go to die Week 1. Feel bad for Stroud and Pierce.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And it’s shitty with how much we’ve invested in that group

justtxyank and ROCKSS like this.
  12. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Agreed, a few weeks ago I thought this could be a strong unit, now were bringing in busts to put a patch on it, some is dumb luck and some is bad evaluation.................I have no expectation for the new Green will be any better than the old Green. Both seem to be a bust, but hey, maybe a change of scenery will help. The Over Under on CJ getting sacked just skyrocketed, I guess on the plus side we will get to his scrambling ability right out of the gate....SMH

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Honestly it's going to be difficult for him to scramble even if he weren't such an awful athlete according to cmoak.

It's hard to scramble away from constant pressure up the middle and the edge. If the Ravens decide to blitz, which they probably will, they could just blow apart the middle and left part of the interior line while blitzing off the right edge as well. They will need all 3QBs.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol. He’s not awful.
    But pressure is going to get there, sucks for the rookie. But looks like he’s getting thrown in the deep end early

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It feels like we haven't had a good OL in over 10 years.

It's really tiring, man.

Two Sandwiches, ROCKSS and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The curse of Duane Brown?

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sound like Chandler Rome.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! We’re doomed!

“Why didn’t they sign any starting pitchers?! They had 10 healthy pitchers, all 10 got injured but why didn’t they sign any more?!”

“Why didn’t they sign any OL?! I knew Tytus Howard and Juice Scruggs would get hurt! I knew Kenyon Green was a bust!”

Yeah, maybe they will have a makeshift OL for a few weeks.
    Howard will be back. Scruggs will be back.

Tunsil | ??? | Patterson? | Mason | Jones?

Agree with DJ. Bunch of chicken littles..

#17 J.R., Aug 30, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
    burlesk likes this.
  18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

If Tytus Howard can be ready for BAL, he potentially could fill the LG void if one of the other choices isn't ready. That would leave Fant and Jones to battle for RT. That is obviously not optimal, but could be a short-term answer until we get someone up to speed at LG.

Anyone with OL experience have any insight into difference between playing LG and RT with the kind of hand injury Howard has?

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Left hand in a club for LG might be tough

Shark44 likes this.
  20. raining threes

Not when healthy, which they should be by week 4.