1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jimmy Butler trade rumors thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 19, 2017.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If Butler is being a malcontent this isn’t inconceivable.

D-rock and Codman like this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Believe it or not, I'm usually skeptical of most scenarios, but a Gordon/Anderson for Dieng/Butler makes a ton of sense and I think would work under the cap rules.

Although Gordon is no superstar, he is a damn good player. He may not be the same talent as Butler but you are probably not going to get any good offers for Butler as the year goes considering he is on an expiring contract. Taking Dieng off their hands (as someone mentioned) is an equal to taking Anderson, except Dieng has one extra year.

Honestly, it's a move I would hesitate to make. Gordon fits so damn well here and who knows how Butler will adapt with all the other iso players in our team. His defensive presence though is what entices me to want to make a move.

#82 ElPigto, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    D-rock and Codman like this.
  3. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I didn't give false hope, if that's what you mean. I'm just telling you what's known around the league. Jimmy will say the right things, but he's privately told numerous folks about his desire to leave Minny. The only reason he hasn't been vocal is because of his loyalty to Thibs.

You are correct...The Rockets may have no shot at JB with their current roster. But when you add another organization in who has needs/contracts, there is always a trade to be made. Still, it's difficult, but my relationships/associations have taught me the lengths Morey will go to make something happen.

Jimmy was never taking the extension. Thibs time is limited and the current roster isn't designed to win any time soon. Jimmy wants to win....big. He may be one of the fiercest competitors in the game (Well, look at what James Harden said about him).

Anyway, it's all love.

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Houston would have to give up Melton or a 1st round pick. Minni can either choose to play hard ball and lose Butler for nothing or they can get a very very good player for their system in Gordon. I know as far as talent is concerned, Butler is obviously better, but there aren't going to be many suitors if Butler is unwilling to commit to an extension and his camp is releasing rumors of him wanting to play in LA. Very few teams will take the risk and no teams will give up significant assets.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i mean, that's the only way we (but every team in general) may have a chance.

Hopefully you're right, it's just hard for me to see a simple swap between Gordon and Butler...while i agree with you about the suitors argument
    - Boston won't offer ****, that ship has sailed
    - Lakers might offer Kuzma/Hart/Ingram...but they didn't for George and Kawhi, why would they do it for Butler which all things considered might be the worst/less good player between them?
    - Clippers might offer Bradley, Beverley...meh.
    - Knicks would have to offer their pick which should be ok, probably not great, i don't know...i think Minnie might want pieces to stay competitive anyway.
    - Nets have a couple of good young players like Jefferson, LeVert...meh.
    - Suns won't offer **** like they didn't for Kawhi.

...it still takes one team, and some of those teams might want to try to be in the mix for a player like Butler, just think about the Bucks, they might easily offer Middleton (which is basically Gordon) and their pick or Brogdon, maybe swap Bledsoe with Teague...or, Denver with Harris and pieces...i mean, you can't write off a similar scenario. But i don't expect any team to break the bank in this situation, that's why i would think we might have a chance, but i just can't see it with only Gordon on the table.

D-rock likes this.
  6. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

The way our offense runs Gordon is tailor made for it, not sure if Butler for Gordon swap is ideal.

saleem, mrhomeslice and Little Bit like this.
  7. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

It's not really Butler for Gordon IMO. Gordon might fit better when we had Ariza, but now Jimmy fills that BIG void we have at the 3 spot and then Melo can become that scoring off the bench and fill Gordon's void. Essentially it's a Butler and Melo for Ariza and EG swap.

Sanity2disChaos and D-rock like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

....Championship!!!

hakeem94 and Kim like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

If it takes FRP to conclude trade of Ryno/EGo for Jimmy Buckets/Dieng Morey does not even blink.

Likely takes more tho.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I also get the impression that Melo is friendly with Butler. I see Butler like a lot of Melo's posts on Instagram for what it is worth.

Jimmy is gone from Minny. @Nook gives the impression Jimmy is looking for the "bright lights" so no wonder LA and NY are the top of his list.

I wonder when Thibs FINALLY comes to the realization that Jimmy is gonna leave Minny.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Just not going to happen. Morey must get a huge kick out of reading "but you never know with Morey". He's a legendadry GM, not Gandalf.

peleincubus and hakeem94 like this.
  12. today

today Contributing Member

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

even if we could somehow miraculously get JB in a rockets uniform, i don't see how tilman would pay the insane lux tax to come with JB's new ~$35M/yr contract next summer

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Even Gandalf was no Gandalf, until he was.

15. Sanity2disChaos

Can they have Anderson also!!

Honestly you don’t let anyone (EG,Melton, first) stop you from getting him only if he really wants to be here. I think that LA thing is leveraging himself for something else.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Sanity2disChaos

Lebron shadow is too big.... Hardens fits just right!