1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The inevitable September Collapse of the Texas Rangers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. HTM

HTM Member

Na, we're good.

Thanks anyways Cole.

CrushCity and Scarface281 like this.
  4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Sorry Cole, you had your chance to wear the greatest jersey in the Majors, but instead you chose to don the same uniform that scraggly chinned punk Odor wears. You made your bed, now rot in it.

5. Buck Turgidson

This thread should die, or at least calm down for awhile.

"Pride goeth before the fall" and all that ****.

mikol13 and Major like this.
  6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We've got a better Cole now.

mikol13 likes this.
  7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The Astros have been all class in dealing with the rivalry, particularly Hinch.

Now Bannister on the other hand...the Rangers and their front office, marketing team, on down to the players have during their successful stretch done everything possible to shove it in our faces. Plucking our castaways, chasing all our trade targets and giving us no quarter during the Harvey debacle.

Now that they’re festering in the cesspool of their own poor decision-making, I say let them eat cake.

8. Buck Turgidson

We're better than they are, we know it, they know it, I'd like to remind them every game we play.

But until then....

9. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

The douchebags on The Fan this morning were already pulling for a tank job and the #1 pick...the morning after game #6 of 162. There was also a raging debate over whether or not Colon should remain in the rotation once Perez returns. If I hadn't had to sit through a half decade of the drunken-frat-boy-hardcore-since-'10 sh!tshow that going to Astros games in Arlington has been until recently, I'd almost feel sorry for them. It is KILLING them that the Astros won it all last year.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its hard to go from division winner to cellar dweller in such a short time. Many of their fans probably think last year was aberration both for their team and the Astros.

This year, they have finally had their coffee.

CrushCity and MadMax like this.
  11. CrushCity

CrushCity Member

I told my rangers fan friends in 2016 that they’d better enjoy that year as their last hope and that the Astros would be going in dry on them for the better part of the next decade. They just laughed and dismissed me. What a sweet 18 months its been since that convo! The looks on their faces when they collapsed again to the blue jays that year was epic.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The writing was on the wall, but some refused to read it.

CrushCity likes this.
  13. vince

vince Member

Cole Hamels missed the boat. He nixed the trade to the Astros when they were trending upwards. The deal was in place and only needed his approval.

I think the Astros would have had their championship parade a lot sooner, they had the Royals on the rope and Hammel would have propelled them along.

I have no hard feelings for Hamel, but I would not help out the Rangers in their rebuild. Hope Hamel retires a Ranger...

CrushCity likes this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Their club (Rangers) at that time had a better reputation for competing year after year. We were only 1 or 2 years removed from our rebuild in 2016.

So while in hindsight, Hamel's choice was a bad one, it didnt seem so obvious at the time how far our rebuild would take us and when.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Our offer was better; Hamels vetoed it to go to dallas instead. He’s done well for them. Lucroy pulled the same crap, vetoing our trade when we were already good. Karma finally hit home when he sucked ass in a dallas and pretty much tanked his career, all because he didn’t want to come here “for some reason.”

16. vince

vince Member

I’ll agree that the Rangers were playing with a chip on their shoulder. They were still riding high with two World Series appearances. They had some youth and quality veterans. Even when the Astros turned the corner, the Rangers refused to lose to the Astros. It wasn’t until 2017 that Astros talent finally overtook the pride filled vets of the Rangers. The Rangers single handedly kept the Astros out of the playoffs in 2016...

But Hamel looked superficially at both teams. And now he’s on a middle of the road team on the verge of a rebuild. He was afraid to be the Vet pitching leader, he wanted to ride the coat tail of the Rangers aging culture.

I’m just glad that Verlander had the vision to see the tremendous talent and Astros management leadership. And Verlander now has his WS ring to show for decision....

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If by "middle of the road" you mean about average, I dont think they will be anywhere near 80 wins this year. Maybe not even 70.

18. Buck Turgidson

This line did make me smile

19. vince

vince Member

The middle of the road where they will be picking 8-14 in the draft and will find themselves in no mans land, unless they commit to spending more on expensive free agents or selling to getting to a true rebuild.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member