1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The GDOAT

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Qball, Jul 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

The Greatest Dunker of All Time...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MNmU1esUF4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

What did Vince do to advance the dunk? He had incredible power and lift, but so did Nique. Did he refine the art like Dr J? Did he dunk in traffic like MJ and Clyde? I really don't see anything in his game that is revolutionary and I think if you're going to be called the greatest in anything regarding basketball, you need to change the way your position is played, the way the game is perceived, or the larger culture of the game.

I don't think Vince did any of those. He's like Kobe in the sense that he is a refiner and consolidator of what others created.

Plus, all those players I just mentioned were more complete (and more interested) players than Vince and I think that also counts.

3. 5KR4TCH

5KR4TCH Contributing Member

He has pulled off the best in game dunks imo.

4. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

The Dunks in the Olympics put Vince in his own category, in terms of dunking.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

honorable mention: shawn kemp

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9OPvh7jdeeo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

360's he pretty much made his own - I don't know if anybody did as many in-game as he has done.

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

hands down, the best dunker ever

8. ICanDunkOnYao

ICanDunkOnYao Member

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7YwY_tFSrWw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7YwY_tFSrWw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

quality > quantity

9. VBG

VBG Member

I think people hate on Vince because he didn't live up to the Jordan expectations and was more laid back and relaxed.

But overall, I think he's the best dunker ever. Vince's 2000 dunk contest is usually regarded as the best ever.

But even in game, Vince pulled off crazy things. He was just a fantastic dunker. He had the power and grace needed.

10. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Is Blake Griffin a threat to the title?

11. opticon

opticon Member

Blake reminds me a bit of Kemp because of the hang time and the power.

He has to do it for multiple years to considered in in the GDOAT club.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I remember watching that one on CBS, Dr. J was great - but if you don't think Vince has a lot of quality dunks in there, you haven't been paying attention.

13. VBG

VBG Member

While he has the power, I don't think he has the finessse.

His dunk contest win was a joke

14. gambingo

gambingo Member

Vince should have entered the dunk contest the year after J-Rich won his first. Imagine J-Rich, Desmond Mason, and Vince putting on a show:eek:

15. VBG

VBG Member

The J-Rich - Desmond Mason showdown is so underrated.

It was fantastic.

16. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qsk1dx-73VA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But yeah. VC is the best and prolific dunker. The stuff he did in traffic was sick. What a waste of talent.

#17 rockbox, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  18. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

i think Jrich might be up there

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Vince is easy to dislike because of his non-winning attitude. I am no fan of his. But he has to be considered one of the greatest dunkers ever. He's just great by the sheer volume of incredible in-game dunks.

I don't think there is a "greatest ever" in anything in basketball. There's just no linear measurement like a world record in speed races or something like that. Some of those other guys have had insane dunks too. But Carter seems to have more. That said, Dr J should wear the crown of the King of Dunk simply because of his pioneering status. No one can touch that.

20. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

No contest... No one electrified the crowd like VC...Nobody!!!!!