1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The future of the EU and the UK, post-Brexit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Invisible Fan and Yung-T like this.
  2. Exiled

Exiled Member

before Brexit ,they compensates Physicians extremely low ,they make 1/4th to 1/3rd of their counterparts in NA ,could be worsening now

3. malakas

malakas Member

Just 200 days before Brexit , with no deal in sight the UK government today published more of their no deal "plans".
    From 1st April all planes and the Eurostar will stop at the border, british driving licenses will not be recognised and there will be a food and medicine shortage.
    Unreal.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

It looks like a catastrophe waiting to happen but i'm optimistic about the chances of getting a deal.
    It's just too big of an issue and too important to make those mistakes.
    I'll admit that im a bit less optimistic about the chances of a deal after watching Dominic Raab interview.

malakas likes this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Well before it gets better it may get even worse with the Tories in the next few weeks if May doesn't survive.
    I see no chance that Chequers will be accepted by the EU. At least they could postpone article 50 so there is some more time. It is a complete farce what they are claiming right now for their plans.
    How they can fear "civil unrest" with a second referendum when crashing without a deal as described with those plans, just about guarantee the whole nation will be up in arms? Without medicine , no planes, train to get out of the country food shortages. Even no protection for meteorites crashing on their heads.

Gdaliya likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They should just do a hard Brexit and work things out after the fact from a position of strength rather than negotiating to become a vassal of the EU. The EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU....especially if they pull off a hard Brexit which would encourage other nations to do the same in order to get away from Merkel's 4th Reich before it's too late. Sovereignty should be considered more important than avoiding short term inconveniences.

7. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Why don't they join the 'colonies'? Any chance of England being the 51st state of the US? :D

8. malakas

malakas Member

It's the exact opposite. With such a complete mess with a no deal exit no other european nation will decide to self destruct. If the UK one of the biggest and strongest economies with only a single land border, face such issues then imagine if say landlocked fascist little Hungary did it. They would be shooting their own head completely isolated and their country would go back by 20 years at least.
    Brexit instead of weakening the unity of the EU is doing the exact opposite. We are looking at them laughing and shaking our heads.
    I don't see how no deal Brexit will allow the UK to negotiate from a position of any strength when they will be in immediate dire need of basic goods?

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Greece is looking at the UK and laughing? LOLWUT?

BEXIT will allow them to negotiate. Something they cannot do now, and with BREXIT they will not have to negotiate from a position of protecting Greek and French interests, only their own. It isn't strength, it's purpose. you have far less vested interests hurting efficiency.

They will retain all control of good entering their country, it would make no sense to restrict them, they can import them tariff free. There will be no dire need. Stop spreading fear mongering BS.

10. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

I think that it will definitely get worse for May but i think she'll survive.
    I don't think that they'll postpone article 50, the UK government seems pretty hellbent about getting Brexit done at the scheduled date(march 29).

I'll admit that im less educated than you about the subject of no deal and the implications of it on the civilians, its already crazy and the list probably would get longer.
    It's just give my headaches thinking about how I'll be working with British companies after the Brexit happens.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's just it though, they aren't self-destructing. As I said, the EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU. It would be the EU "self-destructing" if they don't get deals with the UK, not the other way around. On top of that, if the EU ****s around too much, those deals get done with the US to provide those goods and that drastically harms the economies of most countries in the EU.

Basically the UK has the money and they can get the goods from lots of places, they don't have to get them from the EU. If they go elsewhere, they'll face higher prices in the short term, but that'll encourage more countries to leave the EU to get deals with the UK.

That said, even if there is short term setbacks, it's worth it for sovereignty....something no EU "country" has.

12. malakas

malakas Member

I'm not Greece. I am a greek citizen. Is there a problem if I look at a self inflicting cluster**** and laugh? Or you think I am not allowed to because my country has an economic crisis? How about you let me know what you think I should and shouldn't do? Country's Economic debt doesn't mean you lose your freedom. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And how about you let me know how the Chequers agreement in any shape or form lets the UK control the goods entering their country when they will be under EU regulation WITHOUT them having any more a vote on said regulations?

13. Bandwagoner

It will likely increase because they will not have free market labor from poor EU countries coming in. The EU citizens there will remain but new nurses will have to be sourced in other ways.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't, that's why I say they need a hard Brexit, not the Chequers agreement to become a vassal of the EU.

15. malakas

malakas Member

Basically what's happening is that May is releasing these papers to pressure the hard Brexiters just in time for their conference so she can survive.
    However she needs also the EU to throw her some sweet talk nothings because if they keep saying that Chequers is dead then she will not survive.
    However these no deal papers not only weaken hard brexiters but also the UK's negotiating with the EU.
    It's like saying look you have to give me a good deal or else... I will commit suicide.

For those not following Brexit just to let you know it is very very possible that in the next weeks we will see the UK government falling apart. One of the two main parties is already in a civil war.

16. Bandwagoner

OK. You should be very unhappy about the UK leaving because they are one of the few contributors.

Both Remoaners and Brexitiers are voting against it. But now you are selling bad sides of all scenarios. You cannot have it both ways.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It should fall apart, Theresa May is essentially a traitor. She's negotiating on the behalf of the EU despite allegedly representing the UK.

18. malakas

malakas Member

That's right. If they smh got Chequers they would be like a vassal state. Except they can't get it because in the EU the 4 freedoms are interlinked. You can't have freedom of goods without freedom of movement etc Basically Chequers will never be accepted because it is against the very core of the EU ideology.

BTW whether they get a deal or not they will have to pay about 39 bn. If there's no deal it will be slightly less but they owe the rest.

19. malakas

malakas Member

I don't sell anything.
    It is the UK government itself that released the no deal papers that say that there will be food and medicine shortage, no protection from meteorites, cancer patients left to fend for themselves, UK citizens not able to drive over their border, etc etc Oh and also UK businesses that want to trade with Ireland have to consult not with their own government but with Ireland?

20. dmoneybangbang

Brexit is what happens when the dog finally catches the mail truck, it doesn’t know what to do. The population and economic disparity between the EU and UK is vast, you are kidding yourself if the UK is in a more powerful position to negotiate.

malakas likes this.