1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The family of Jazmine Barnes appear to have lied about the shooter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jan 6, 2019.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Write a book, but first, get your general idea down first yeah?

One post you're talking about "KIDS MUST RESPECT AUTHORITY!!!"

And then the next post you're linking stats of Married couples and single parents. These things are not at all related. A single parent can be a strict authoritarian or a married couple can be the complete opposite...or maybe they are, maybe you'll link a study that shows that married couples are more often authoritarians with regards to their parenting...

So I don't even know what your 'advice' is.

You should write a book though. I'm sure you're an expert on child development.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Parents who run out on their kids are unlikely to teach them things like taking responsibility for their actions.....anyway I do think it's a bit funny how worked up about this you are getting, hope none of it actually applies to you.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, because they've run out on them so they are unable to teach their kids anything from that point on...which still leaves a kid with another parent that may be capable of teaching them responsibility.

I'm not worked up at all, unsure of why you think that or why you are desperately trying to infer my emotion through plain text.

4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That is all true. It's also true that caring not one iota about that will lead one absolutely NOWHERE.

They don't care to gain black peoples' trust or faith. They got jails - and graves - to fill. That's their job. What's yours?

5. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Amnesty during the Reagan administration. The trade off was amnesty and to fix the immigration laws.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Can you explicitly state what parts of American society are not and have not been the white man screwing the non-white man? I'm a less capable mind so I need your more than capable mind to spell it out for me.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You folks need to ask @pgabriel these questions - he stated they should focus on internal problems. I ask the question what does that mean?

What are the internal problems that need to be solved?
    What are the policies and programs to solve these problems?

And for asking these questions I am attacked by the 3 of you for asking very simple questions. Why don't you want to say what you want to happen instead of attacking others? Or do you have the attitude that it's not for you to solve because your life is fine - so long as they don't try to make you feel like you are required to do anything but sit behind a keyboard and judge others and say it's on them to define and fix problems, but never to say race is a factor??

Again, I am asking two questions.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't get this mentality...that you agree that these things exist but that people shouldn't care. Just ignore it all and shoulder on. Imagine this mentality through anything. Throug civil rights or slavery, through WW2 or anything at all...

That the rules are fixed against them and that people shouldn't care. Whatever gets fixed then? Nothing gets fixed.

Is it really too much to ask that everyone gets treated fairly and not on the basis of their skin color?

When the rules are fair for everyone then we can talk about culture, until that point, I'm more concerned about fixing the government because you can't govern 'culture' can you? At least not without becoming some Orwellian state.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And you have another parent that got abandoned and had the kids dumped on them plunging them into a life of poverty. More often than not, they'll feel like a victim too so that's what will be passed on, a mentality of victimhood and an idea that they are oppressed....that the bad things in life can be blamed on exterior factors rather than them being the consequence of their own actions. Like I said, that's why poverty ends up becoming a cycle. You have bad habits or bad life choices that led to poverty then you have children that aren't raised properly that leads to bad habits or bad life choices that lead them to a life of poverty and so on.

You keep giving me excuses and trying to talk about the outliers while I'm talking about what happens to the bulk of people in that situation.

10. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I want to see people realize that they are more in control of their own lives than the society that they live in.

Race/racism is definitely a factor. That's a fixed variable in America. That doesn't mean that you can't combat and defeat that racism by making good decisions in your life.

ROXRAN and MiddleMan like this.
  11. MiddleMan

I’m not attacking anyone. Any poster can feel free to bring out the internal problems.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

There's racism that I face as an Indian American in this country - yes I overcome that. But the things that go on in these urban neighborhoods - I'd encourage you to work with kids - I did so and I can tell you that that barrier they face is 1000x bigger than anything anyone faces. It's simply not the same and it's very difficult for an outsider to understand. My family came to this country as immigrants and did menial jobs to work their way up - but they didn't just flip a switch and started to believe they could make it. They were already the hardest working people in their community.

But when you are born in a family that is extremely poor and most likely broken, and you do not have access to the technology to help you get ahead needed in today's world, or even food to nourish you, or even a stable home, and you go to a school system that is substandard where the goal is more day care than education, and everyone around you is broken, and everyone teaches you that you are inferior and success is out of reach - how are you at the age of 5 going to realize and find the path to success? because if you don't get that education and believe in yourself at an early age - you are doomed and won't break the cycle.

What people always forget about immigrants is that they people who come to America are not afraid of hard work. They are leaving a lot behind - their culture, their family, their whole way of life - for what - for a chance to work their butts off and create a better future for their children. They are the cream of the crop when it comes to work ethnic and self-esteem.

#112 Sweet Lou 4 2, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Well I am asking and no one seems to have an answer other than "playing the victim card" which sounds like a FOXNEWS soundbite.

14. MiddleMan

Single parent home is an issue. That can very well be a vital issue in a kids life.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It is one of the biggest factors contributing to the cycle of poverty and that is true when talking about anyone.

cml750, BamBam and MiddleMan like this.
  16. mick fry

mick fry Member

Another thread hijacked, lmao.

marks0223 likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Completely dependent on the parents. If Jay-Z left Beyonce she wouldn't be plunged into a life of poverty.

This is why the biggest determining factor of how financially successful a kid will be comes down to the wealth of their parent. Nothing else is as predictive, not even single parenthood. Money outweighs all of that.

The issue is sometimes outliers are disqualifying. If you are saying definitively that a single parent can't raise a kid to be successful then outliers are a big deal. If you are saying that it is harder for a single parent to raise a child then sure, outliers. It's all about what you're trying to prove.

I don't see the relationship between Single parenthood and what you were on about earlier...about teaching kids responsibility and respecting authority.

There's a study, recent study, that argues that single parenthood is not detrimental to a child's wellbeing and studies contradicting that a child NEEDS two parents to succeed at all.

Your argument seems to assume that all single-parent households are similar or somewhat similar. It's a lot more complex than that though and you're making the common mistake of equating correlation and causation. "These graphs show that single parents are more likely to go through poverty THEREFORE single parenthood leads to poverty!"

One could make the argument that poor people raise poor children more likely because they are poor and not because they are single parents. Data tends to back this up. Whether the mother is single or not is not as important, it's about whether the mother has a college education and a good job. That's super important. Rich single parents still raise rich children. If what you say is true marriage/single parents than why isn't the black poverty rate higher? It should be if 50% of black children are raised by single parents and your argument is that MOST single parents loop their children into poverty then it should be higher than the around 20% it has been recent years.

The reason it is more likely that a single parent has more trouble raising children is a simple financial thing, a simple math problem...and that's two salaries means more money for one household...and that's why that becomes irrelevant if one parent is making millions which sort of hits at it being more of a money thing than a TRADITIONAL VALUES thing.

So no, being a single parent doesn't lead to poverty. Being uneducated with a bad job does that. If you have a cushy professional job that's paying over 100K annually being a single parent is unlikely to throw you into poverty. If you make 30k a year then having a partner that also makes at least that much means you've doubled the household salary.

So is single parenthood an issue? Yes, it is AN issue, but it's not the deciding issue, and making sure everyone is married still doesn't ignore every other problem that people in poverty face.

MiddleMan likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As I said, you are focusing on the outliers and seemingly ignoring everyone else. While it's true that money can make up for a lot, those bad habits can cause wealthy families to fall into poverty over time. If you start out wealthy, you have a larger margin for error than anyone else....just because they can get away with certain things doesn't mean that it's not damn near a death sentence to anyone else.

So yes, being a single parent is by far the easiest way to get caught up in the cycle of poverty but obviously not the only way. There are all manners of bad life choices and bad habits that can lead a person to a life of poverty....and when you pass down those bad habits and normalize those bad life choices, you get kids that are seemingly trapped in the cycle.

There are exceptions to any rule, but those exceptions don't disprove the rule when it's still true to 90+ percent of people.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's fun to slam and attack families that have been the victims of horrible violent crimes. It's even better when not one of us knows exactly what was going on at the time. Let's keep this thread going!

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Being a Single parent isn't a bad habit, it's something that happens. It's something that happens to successful self-made intelligent people. It turns out relationships are hard and it's not the fault of the mother or father who are trying to raise kids...and as the study I linked argues...single parenthood in itself isn't the problem...that means there's probably a larger factor here. My guess is it's hard to raise a kid or kids on a single salary unless you have a really good job. I found this NR article basically arguing my point about that. It's more about the single salary and crappy job.

It's also not even true of 90% of people. 90% of single parents are not in poverty...it's not even 50%.

While I do not disagree that single parenthood is harder in general, I'm arguing that it is not that which causes the cycle of poverty but a lack of education and in general opportunity. It's that life decision that has caused poverty. People don't go "Gee, I really want to raise this kid by myself!" It's something forced upon them because of whatever the circumstance may be.

But we can mutually agree that everyone should encourage to find a partner to raise their children with. I agree with that wholeheartedly. But I don't think single parenthood is a cycle because I don't think it has an effect on if the child will also go on to be a single parent...but I do agree that it makes it much harder to raise a child especially if you are poor, another income and someone to help out makes things a lot easier.

MiddleMan likes this.