1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The family of Jazmine Barnes appear to have lied about the shooter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

I didn't want to say anything last week. But, something just seemed a little off about this story from the very beginning. I found it odd that the mother loaded up the entire family to get coffee at 6am. Don't people use coffee pots anymore? Let the kids sleep. I found it odd that they could describe the color of the suspects eyes. I have to get very close to someone to get that detailed.

Random shooting of strangers is pretty rare. It happens sometimes, that's for sure. But it's pretty unusual. I felt there had to be some connection between the shooter and the mother. Or, I thought there must have been some kind of road rage involved.

I think eventually all the truth will come out. Now, we are hearing possible mistaken identity. Well maybe.

A whole family loaded into the car to get coffee? Seems strange. But, I'm not a coffee drinker.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

DHop needs his game check back if that's the case.

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I wonder if they accused a white man in part because that was the way to generate publicity and get some bigtime attention focused on this crkme.

Of course if they had initially reported it as a black on black crime, there is virtually no chance any of us would have ever heard about this from the mass media.

Severe Rockets Fan and MiddleMan like this.
  4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A tip from activist Shaun King led police to a suspect in the killing of Jazmine Barnes

(CNN)Police have arrested a suspect in connection with the death of 7-year-old Jazmine Barnes, and they're giving credit to a tip from social activist and writer Shaun King.

The arrest of Eric Black Jr. -- who said he was driving the vehicle used in the shooting -- came as a result of a tip King received and sent to Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez, the sheriff said Sunday.

"He became a target in our investigation based on a tip that initially went to journalist and activist Shaun King," Gonzalez told reporters. "Mr. King then passed that tip to me personally."

Two days after Jazmine's death, King turned to his legion of Twitter followers to enlist their help in finding her killer and offered a reward of $25,000 for information. S. Lee Merritt, an attorney advising Jazmine's family, also joined the cause. The reward eventually climbed to $100,000.
    On Wednesday evening King had tweeted he had combed through hundreds of tips. "Mostly garbage," he said. "All well meaning. 3-4 helpful. Working with the family and local authorities. Some promising leads, but not nearly enough."

Gonzalez said Sunday that one of King's tips "provided a much different angle to what we were initially looking at," alluding to the fact authorities initially said the suspect was a white man in his 40s driving a red pickup truck. Black is a 20-year-old African-American man. The white man in the red truck was likely just a witness, the sheriff told reporters.

Black was pulled over for not using his turn signal and was subsequently arrested for possessing mar1juana, per an affidavit read in court. Investigators identified Black as one of two suspects an anonymous tipster said were involved in the shooting.

He was arrested and is expected to be formally charged with capital murder on Monday. Authorities have not released information on the suspected shooter, who Black said opened fire from the passenger seat.

"I want to thank again Shaun King for his activism and help and raising awareness and the monies that were put forward to be able to generate those calls," Gonzalez said.

The shooting is believed to be a case of mistaken identity. It was still dark out the morning the shooting occurred, Gonzalez pointed out, and Jazmine's mother and sisters had just gone through a traumatic experience, which could have affected their perception of those devastating moments.

King said Sunday morning on Twitter that he shared the tip with Gonzalez's office on Thursday. He also said the white man in the red truck described by eyewitnesses was not the shooter and probably fearing for his life.

King and Merritt, the civil rights attorney, have been friends since meeting about 20 years ago at Morehouse College, a historically black school in Atlanta. They've worked on several cases together over the years, including the killing of Antwon Rose II, a black teenager killed by police outside Pittsburgh in June.

Merritt also told CNN he and King helped authorities identify the suspects who attacked a black man, DeAndre Harris, at the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in August 2017.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/06/us/jazmine-barnes-shaun-king-tip/index.html

Nook, MiddleMan and Bobbythegreat like this.
  5. mick fry

mick fry Member

Dude, don’t you know only a specific race and genders motives can be questioned? I’m surprised at you, you must have overestimated this forum.

MiddleMan likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Law and Order writers are already working on it.

What a sad, strange story.

7. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Racism of course.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  8. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I was thinking that it was some sort of road rage and the victim family was just in the wrong place in wrong time.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You're lost, as usual. King was excited about this one because he thought it could further his desired narrative for a white hate crime. That's why he got involved. I'm pleased that his actions contributed to finding the perps, but do you really think he would have been involved had people thought it was your typical black-on-black crime? Nope. He's a race hustler.

MiddleMan likes this.
  10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

flailing

edwardc likes this.
  11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

So apparently there WAS a white guy in a red truck that sped away that folks thought was the shooter? He just happened to be an innocent bystander getting the heck out of there apparently. Weird.

12. conquistador#11

I thought it was weird that the description of the white man looked like the guy that threatened Stormy, i.e Tom Brady look alike.[​IMG]

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It's an awful situation, but I don't blame the mother or the daughter for identifying the wrong person as the shooter.

It's not easy to identify where shots are coming from if the shooter isn't right in front of you. Bullets go through cars like a hot knife through butter and will make a lot of noise breaking glass and going through aluminum. You could easily think the shots are coming from the opposite side of the car than where they are actually coming from.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Strange post for you. Lie and intentional deception are not consistent with the facts I've read.

It appears there was indeed a red truck (video supports this) and the drive was the man in the description. It just turns out he was not the shooter. In all probability, they sincerely thought he was the shooter because they saw him and made eye contact before the shooting began. In reality, he was probably just as afraid as they were.

It's really hard to tell the direction bullets are coming from unless you see the gun. They made a mistake, and they may have been biased against the person to assume he was the shooter. But how could they know in that situation?

Did this get more attention because it was initially believed to be a hate crime? Absolutely. Why this inspires people more than "black on black" crime probably ties to people's anger about perceived injustice and hate against the common occurrence of same race crime. Ironically that helps find the actual perp because it engaged resources.

But this family took a huge loss, and I am confused by people who think they are exploiting this little girl's death. They are probably in shock and grieving, and they went through a horribly traumatic event.

DFWRocket likes this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

****ing bob sura got away again

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Bigtexxx, ok he is a race baiter. It happens people like that are out there. Fox News, MSNBC, and others do it all of the time. You are G'damn hero for pointing it out though. bravo

17. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

race pimps fuel the racial divisions in this country but then again it's their job. They make millions off race baiting. Disgusting.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So nobody gonna mention the irony of the real guy's name.

I'm another in the group of the original story didn't sound right.

Knew the Texans would lose on the game check donation

#38 pgabriel, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This isnt thd first black small child caught up in stupid black on black violence in Houston. A black baby was killed by a gun shot in an argument in an apartment complex a few years ago.

This girl will now be forgotten because sadly the story is now normal

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I was wondering where the current safe zone was for trump supporters... and surprised, it involves race.

[​IMG]