1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The era of cheap streaming is officially over

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Aug 10, 2023.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Super Mario
    Supporting Member

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/10/media/disney-plus-streaming-prices-reliable-sources/index.html

CNN

It’s the end of an era.

The disruptive streaming model birthed by Netflix that dangled all-you-can-eat menus of films, shows, and endless entertainment without pesky advertisements for extraordinarily low prices came to an official close on Wednesday.

Disney boss Bob Iger announced during the company’s quarterly earnings report that the Magic Kingdom will once again hike Disney+ prices for the second time in less than a year, increasing the monthly cost of its ad-free plan $3 to $13.99 in October. Hulu, which Disney owns a majority stake in, will also increase the monthly cost of its ad-free subscription $3 to $17.99.

Disney and Hulu are raising prices. Apple TV, Netflix, Paramount, and Peacock have all increased prices. There isn't more value for the viewers, either. What started as a watch everything on Netflix for $9.99 became a half dozen services all priced at $10-15. It has reached price parity with cable, but cable remains awful.

We had cord cutters, but what will we call people who abandon streaming services?
    And how long before we start seeing editorials blaming the death of streaming on Gen Z?

I for one do not want a future of 15 second shorts being the primary medium of communication and entertainment.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Recorded.

Jontro, dmoneybangbang, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Jontro, ThatBoyNick and ryan_98 like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

From Netflix to Getflix.

dmoneybangbang and Andre0087 like this.
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

There has to be an alternative found before that happens. Cable is irrelevant because Streaming is better. Doesn't matter if prices go up if there isn't something else to turn to. That doesn't exist at the moment.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dude, nice

This guy gets it, as for the rest of you, buy a damn Firestick, pick one or two streaming services you like, and coordinate with close family/friends to share. Cable used to cost 100-150 bucks a month, streaming is still way cheaper.

B-Bob, Invisible Fan and Andre0087 like this.
  8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Super Mario
    Supporting Member

The Streaming Companies have announced that they’re cracking down on sharing. Netflix famously.

clos4life and Sajan like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The days of sharing passes might be over but with the writers strike, good content for the next year could be worth a two month free trial

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Netflix
    Paramount+/Showtime
    Prime (part of Prime membership)
    Max (Free)
    Hulu/Disney/ESPN
    Peacock

I pay around $63 for all those (Max is free with Cell plan and of course Prime membership). Still much cheaper than cable. I play $100 for 1.2GB internet Comast with UNLIMITED data.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I used to pay something like $200 or so for SLOW cable and somewhat basic cable tv services with AT&T's con of a "bundle" where you can't switch either one away from AT&T to something else without incurring a price gouge. I want to keep my Internet and "cable" service separate, so I can flip either when necessary without the "oh, that was a bundle, so we'll have to raise your rates" b.s. Now I'm paying $75 or so for YouTube TV where I still have more than I need (wish I could get rid of some of the channels and save) and another $75 or so for much faster Internet than I had before - and this is 3 or so years later, I think.

12. VanityHalfBlack

Tubi, plex, Pluto tv are all free. Fukk netflix,Max,paramount plus

Andre0087 likes this.
  13. VanityHalfBlack

Torrents are also free. You a sports guy? You can literally watch any game imaginable with illegal streaming links.

14. Salvy

Salvy Member

Popcorn time has not raised the price even once.....

ryan_98 and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Quality isn't there though for sports and with the NFL season around the corner I'm gonna just have to pony up for it.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I agree, Amen, I agree...

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Those streams can be a real PITA, constantly dropping.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Does that surprise anyone? Years ago I remember telling my cord cutting zealot friend it was all going to end up costing the same in the end. It will. The consumer rarely wins.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sure you did Nostradamus.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't have the energy and don't watch much, but many of my friends just rotate through 2 services at a time, catching up on the best shows on those platforms, then cancelling, and spending a month or two at introductory rates on another couple of platforms. They have whole schedules laid out for a year.

Jontro and MadMax like this.