1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Denver Nuggets rebuild model…

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by liveguy, Jun 13, 2023.

1. liveguy

liveguy Member

The Rox are 100% in the same boat the Nuggets were back in 2014.

The Nuggets started slow, remained patient, took solid pieces, built a base of players and let them gel.

I honestly think the Rockets (talent-wise) are ahead of the curve compared to Denver in that 9 year span from 2014 - 2023.

I have always been an advocate of how the Nuggets went about their rebuild and would hate to see the Rox get impatient and trade away solid young talent for a big name as though some of the rostered players they have can’t grow into household name(s).

Picking up FA’s without giving up any young talent is the move, but trading away a Green or Sengun for a Jalen Brown….I sincerely hope they don't consider that.

Green
    Sengun
    Smith Jr.
    Draft pick 2023 (assuming they keep it)

^ this is your core

Again, the Rockets are on that same track the Nuggets were on….Rox just have to pick smart, coach up and stay patient.

Hype about the future prospects with the new coach and all the picks and cap space….

I just hope they don't cash in chips too soon and allow these kids grow together…

There’s a championship example that proves the organic method does work.

Bo6, vince, Dankstronaut and 8 others like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, Smith jr. reminds me of a defensive Gallinari but they got rid of Gallo though up there in the Altitude.

3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Denver’s rebuild worked because they had a guy who became the best player in the league.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Just find another Jokic bro, easy peasy. Or you can also try finding the next Giannis, Lebron, Curry, Kawhi...

5. liveguy

liveguy Member

A second round pick at that.

No one expected that…but they allowed him to grow into that, which is my point.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

My biggest Rockets-related fear is that Tilman grows tired of having a losing franchise and tries to right the ship immediately and adds Harden/Kyrie. Trying to get back into the playoffs TOO fast could hurt our chances at long-term success.

And yeah, I totally get that fans are also sick of losing. But why waste a long-term tanking/rebuild project by getting impatient this year, when we have no shot at contending anyway? Take a breath, then proceed intelligently. Not hastily.

7. liveguy

liveguy Member

Basketball is a team sport…and out of all the people you named, only one of them was a number 1 overall pick.

Stars can be found if you coach them up and let them grow into the player they can be.

8. liveguy

liveguy Member

If Harden comes back, I’m ok with that because you lose nothing to sign him as a UFA…main problem with him is he is a terrible leadership example for a young team.

9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya, because he played at a near superstar level when he was 21 in his 2nd season. Nobody on the rockets has shown anything so far

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We can’t even get started on Denver style until this year and we’d need to trade back

haven’t taken any prospects in the second round in the last two drafts

what is stone when doing !?!?

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Really? He kinda reminds me of a better-rebounding MPJ

12. liveguy

liveguy Member

Nah…he showed glimpses up-front, but it took Jokic about 3 seasons before he became “the Joker” - his breakout was 2018-2019, the superstar recognition didn't come until 2020 and on.

13. invocux

invocux Member

Jabari-MPJ
    Green-Murray
    Sengun-Jokic

It's coming home

Bo6, ilias, clos4life and 1 other person like this.
  14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

That’s not remotely true. He put up a 26 PER (i know, not a great stat), and a TS that was 16% above league average. Even if people at the time didn’t recognize it, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Similar to harden’s 3rd year

Von Rafer likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Murray was always the key coming back....Jokic alone can only do 2nd round to WCF at best which is already very good.

MPJ did not even have to show up.

Gallo was a multi faceted guy on Offense, people forgot about that though.

To be fair, MPJ with his 3 NBA seasons has not even shown what he is capable of doing IMHO.

It is a shame.

#15 daywalker02, Jun 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    leebigez likes this.
  16. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

100%

Great post!

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. liveguy

liveguy Member

Career stats are easy to find.

18. invocux

invocux Member

It's not a rebuild but Kings were Nuggets like and almost beat Curry and who knows what would've happened afterwards if they had won the 7th game. Just like you can't win championship without a defensive minded center thing turned out to be a bullshit, a time will come and oh you can win it w/o defensive 5 BUT only if that 5 is at Jokic's level will also turn out to be a bullshit. A lesser Jokic will win it and same folks will eat their words again.

This essentially is not different than in 13th century Europe some scientist's getting killed with pitchforks by villagers for telling them the world isn't square or sth like that. We are dealing with NBA version of 13th century religious extremists. Bet they were more open minded then these are.

#18 invocux, Jun 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    clos4life likes this.
  19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

It’s extremely rare to win a title without a top 20 all time player. Has it happened? Yes, but it’s extremely rare. Ultimately, it doesn’t matter what type of player it is, if they’re an all tome great you can and usually will win.

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

What does this even mean? Are you saying i made it up?

Von Rafer likes this.