1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the definitive UT/college football recruiting thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by chievous minniefield, Jan 14, 2002.

1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I've been struggling trying to figure out how to express just how dominant this 2001 UT recruiting class has become. . . I'll give it my best shot.

- #1 player in the nation
    - #1 players in the nation at the following positions: QB, OG, DT
    - #2 DE in the nation
    - #3 WR in the nation
    - #4 FB in the nation
    - #4 DT in the nation
    - #4 ILB in the nation
    - #4 OG in the nation
    - #1 juco DT in the nation

- 2 of the top 10 players in the nation [next closest: multiple schools, 1]
    - 3 of the top 15 players in the nation [next closest: multiple schools, 1]
    - 4 of the top 25 players in the nation [next closest: Mississippi St., 2]
    - 5 of the top 31 players in the nation [next closest: Mississippi St., 2]
    - 10 of the top 100 players in the nation, with an 11th a near certainty [next closest: Tennessee, 5]

rivals100.com ranks the recruiting classes and gives them a total point value. the 2nd- through 10th-place teams are separated by 319 points. ou is ranked 10th with a point total of 1,381. Colorado is ranked 2nd with a point total of 1,700.

Texas current point value is 2,435. . . 700 points in front of the closest competitor.

Texas has five 5-star ranked players, the highest ranking awarded. the next closest school has 2.
    Texas has 15 4-star ranked players. the next closest school has 11.

here's a quote to support all this data:

"It's pretty shocking to look at the commitment list, because Texas has a huge overload of
    universally acknowledged players who are supposed to be the best," said Allen Wallace,
    editor of California-based Super Prep recruiting magazine.

whew. . . what else can be said? this class is just freakish in its positive nature.

there is a time and place for all discussions, and I acknowledge that there will be a time and place for the discussion of what to do with mack brown IF ["if", rocketman95] he fails to win a conference and/or national title with these studs.

HOWEVER. . . the purpose of THIS post is simply to recognize the truly outside-the-bell-curve-of-normalcy quality that this recruiting class has. it's simply stunning. I wasn't following recruiting quite as closely in '99 with the simms/redding class, but I don't see how it could have been as strong or as deep as this one. sure, having the national offensive and defensive players of the year is flashy, but this one is just damned thorough.

lost amidst the hub-bub of young's commitment yesterday was that Kasey Studdard, the best lineman in colorado, also verbally committed to UT.

anyway, here they are, the class of 2002. an impressive list by any measure. the 2 * names at the bottom represent a couple of other big fish still out there. nicholson is a virtual lock for UT. there may not even be a scholarship left for timmons when it's all said and done.

when it's all said and done, UT may be turning away players who would MAKE a recruiting class for other schools.

vincent young - 1st ranked player and 1st ranked QB
    justin blalock - 1st ranked OG
    rodrique wright - 1st ranked DT
    brian pickryl - 2nd ranked DE
    marquis johnson - 3rd ranked WR
    albert hardy - 4th ranked FB
    marco martin - 4th ranked DT
    aaron harris - 4th ranked ILB
    neale tweedie - 4th ranked OG
    selvin young - 6th ranked RB
    garnet smith - 6th ranked OLB
    david thomas - 7th ranked TE
    chase pittman - 7th ranked DT
    micheal williams - 8th ranked DE
    kasey studdard - 10th ranked OG
    sonny davis - 1st ranked juco DT
    matthew melton - 22nd ranked S
    brett valdez - 23rd ranked OG
    tully janszen - 27th ranked DT
    lyle sendlein - 29th ranked DT
    marcus myers - 31st ranked OLB
    brian robison - 40th ranked ILB
    dustin miksch - 82nd ranked WR

* a.j. nicholson - 3rd ranked ILB
    * robert timmons - 20th ranked WR [1st in TX]

parting shots. . . 4 of the top 10 ranked schools in the nation are big 12. . . nebraska isn't even in the top 20. . . colorado has the 2nd-ranked class in the nation. . . atm is ranked 9th. . . ou 10th

that's all. I'm spent.

HOOK THEM, Mack!!

2. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

If Nicholson signs, that will be huge. That dude runs like a WR at 235 lbs.

Don't forget that USA Today had Martin as the 4th best player in the nation, at any position.

3. chievous minniefield

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

5. haven

haven Member

I hereby nominate RM95 for Most Pessimistic Poster of the Year

6. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Don't you count bowl games?

11-2.

7. chievous minniefield

stay on topic, rm95.

I'm sorry that john mackovic isn't the coach at UT anymore. I really am.

maybe one day, the hurt will subside. until then, we can only hope.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Jeez, I thought that my two extra wins would've made some of you happy, I guess not. At Nebraska and at Kansas State will be tough, and I now have us beating OU.

I'll make it 11-2, with another win in the Holiday Bowl.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Mr. February has done it again. He didn't get raise and a 10 year extension for nothing. Now all he has to do is prove it on the field. He's got the money, talent, and facilities. There's no reason why we shouldn't win the conference next season.

Nebraska graduates alot of important players including Crouch. Apparently his replacement, Jamaal Lord is so poor in practice that their new QB recruit is graduating HS early to compete for the starting QB job in the spring. Lord has not been able to grasp the offense this season. The so called Blackshirts have been vulnerable on the ground (CU) and the air (Miami). They may be headed for an 8-3 season.

I know we say it every year, but OU will be hard pressed to replace Rocky and Roy. Those two will leave big holes, but Tommie Harris and Wilkerson return along with Everage and Strait. OU's defense will be the toughest in the conference next year, and Simms will have to lead his team for once. Hopefully Mack plays Cedric next time around.

Kansas State is a joke. Hell RC and the Ags beat them in Manhattan this year. Mack has had Tech by the nuts the last few years. The Aggies will come to DKR for another spanking by Simms. We also play an NC team without Peppers and Sims.

No excuses next year. We have assembled the best team in the Big XII and maybe the nation. I won't settle for anything less than BCS, in my final semester at this fine institution.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I hope you're right. It was a joke that NU was in the Rose Bowl in the first place. However, there's no denying that Nebraska is nearly unbeatable at home. They'd won 47 (I think) in a row before <B>Mack Brown</B> and Major Applewhite stunned them in 1998, and I'm pretty sure they haven't lossed there since. Even if they're on a down year, it'll be hard to beat a team that will want revenge on the only school to beat them at home in like 12 years.

I'm at the point now of predicting 11-2 (as opposed to my previous prediction of 8-4) just out of disappointment sake. If I tell myself that there's no way UT and Mack Brown (and, almost moreso, Chris Simms) can go 13-0 and win the national championship, I'm tricking myself into believing I won't be disappointed <B>if</B> we lose those games, or other games.

I know it won't work, but that's my thinking.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

congrats to UT....hook 'em

love,

your longhorn-loving Baylor Bear who roots for UT every game except when they play Baylor (but like that matters!!!)

12. Major

Major Member

<B>If I tell myself that there's no way UT and Mack Brown (and, almost moreso, Chris Simms) can go 13-0 and win the national championship, I'm tricking myself into believing I won't be disappointed if we lose those games, or other games.
    </B>

I believe we play a 12-game regular season next year, so it could 14-0, if Vincent Young can wrestle away the starting QB job! :D

13. chievous minniefield

rm95,

look. . . hey, I appreciate the newfound 11-2 optimism. it's good to see. perhaps the sun has been shining in austin, and you've been getting your vitamin D.

but here's my thing. . .

this is a RECRUITING thread!!

now, I know you must think, "what's the point of talking about recruiting if the results don't translate onto the field?". and you'd be right, to an extent.

but I started this thread to try to appreciate the singular work of art that mack brown the artiste has crafted this winter. would it be so hard for you to simply say, "damn. nice recruiting class."?

that's all I'm looking for. and, in your The Definitive Why UT Will Go 11-2 thread, I won't come and rain on your parade-raining by waxing all pollyannish about how great a recruiting class mack brown hauled in this winter.

please, please, please, PLEASE. . . for once. . . make a comment about the recruiting!!!!!

p.s. I want at least one season of Young throwing, Johnson and Williams catching, and Benson running. sick sick sick.

14. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Just like this year, UT will be favored in every game they play next year, including in Lincoln. The degree and frequency NU got totally drubbed last year last year cannot be swept under the rug. Most surprisingly was the way the defense got totally destroyed by by Miami and CU, and in different ways. Further, there offense wasn't as dominant either getting shut down against Miami when the game was in doubt and also not doing much against OU that wasn't from a single successful trick play (they also lost 3 of their best 4 offensive players to the pros). I suspect even in Lincoln they will be the underdog, if only by a field goal or so. Last year I think only Texas, Miami and Flordia could make that claim (favored going into each game).

As with this year, the key game will be against the Sooners. UT was very lucky to get another chance at the national title after losing to OU. I think whichever team loses next year will be out of the title hunt. UT looks to have a solid talent advantage on both sides now with Williams/Calmus gone (OUs offense went out the window the year before with Josh Hypel gone), plus the Sooners also they lost most of their OL from last year as well.

On paper, UT and Miami have to be the favorites going into next season, and Miami now has road games at Florida and Tenn. I'll tell you the KEY thing that will determine the Horns success. It is defensive line. If they can get consistent pressure w/o blitzing and free up the linebackers (take up all the blockers) on running plays the defense will be totally, totally dominant and I just don't think other teams superior game day and strategic coaching would be enough to make the talent and skill difference.

No matter how bad a Poker player your are it is hard to screw up 4 Aces, and Mack Brown is close to having 4 Aces.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I've said that before, he's an amazing recruiter, and I just got off the phone with my Dad gushing about this year.

The fact of the matter is none of this matters if he can't translate it into a national championship (I'll take conference, as well).

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Anyone know when is the latest date a player can be redshirted? Isn't it something like by the 3rd game of the season?

I want to see VY play.

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Major and RM95, if it makes you feel any better (it does for me), I have come to the realization even with Major Applewhite at the helm I don't think we would have won the national championship last year. I just don't think our defense is their yet, we would have gone 12-1, with the loss being to Miami in the Rose Bowl. The way Miami cruised on warm weather and grass games--against NU, Syracuse (a decent defensive football team), and Washington, I just don't think we had enough to beat them even with a sharper offense Major would have lead.

So look at this way, Simms put us out of our misery early. It is too bad Major didn't get the shot though.

With the talent Texas kept (more than any of the other elite teams) plus the talent we have added (frosh defensive players could have an immediate impact), I would honestly say we are the favorites for next year (we have a much more favorable schedule than Miami, Tennessee, or Florida--the other elite teams IMO).

#17 Desert Scar, Jan 14, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2002
  18. chievous minniefield

and there was much rejoicing throughout the land. . .

fair enough, rm95. I think anyone in their right mind should be able to appreciate the greatness of this class.

that having been said, it will be most interesting to see how their final numbers will stack up with that FSU class [of warrick dunn, et al.] that is generally regarded as the best, most successful, single recruiting class of all-time.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I doubt it. From what I've heard, it sounds like Young is probably going to be redshirted unless he picks up the offense really fast. I'm sure they want to get all the years they can out of him, without him sitting on the bench.

20. Major

Major Member

<B>I doubt it. From what I've heard, it sounds like Young is probably going to be redshirted unless he picks up the offense really fast. I'm sure they want to get all the years they can out of him, without him sitting on the bench.</B>

Agreed. However, if he's an NFL-prospect, we may only have him 3 years, redshirts or not. Might as well get 3 useful years out of him instead of only 2 + a redshirt. :)

<B>Major and RM95, if it makes you feel any better (it does for me), I have come to the realization even with Major Applewhite at the helm I don't think we would have won the national championship last year. I just don't think our defense is their yet, we would have gone 12-1 with the loss to Miami in the Rose Bowl. </B>

I agree, but I would still like to have seen it (and, more importantly, been there!) :) I think we could have put up a better fight than Nebraska did.

Oh, to make this about recruiting, not bad... but I've done better on Playstation 2 NCAA Football. :) Seriously, though, it's going to be fun watching all these players develop.