1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Chinese Way

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TedRuxpin, Jun 6, 2002.

1. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

<p> First let me start off by stating that I am Chinese. Establishing relationships (firm ones) are very important in Chinese culture. Therefore, Krause's trip last winter is viewed very important by Chinese government officials. We don't know what he said to them. I am speculating he could have said something inferring that the Chicago Bulls may have the top pick, and Yao may go first with that pick. If this is the case, automatically Chinese team will think "Good. Yao will go first to Chicago. " "/Chicago intend to keep Yao."

<p> Okay lotto day comes and kaboom, Rockets get lucky with first pick. Rockets have not talked to team or made trip over there. Chinese team feels almost betrayed. I guess they were set on the fact that Chicago would pick first and get yao. They are disappointed, because Chicago does not have first pick. They do not know Rockets intentions. They do not want Rockets to pick Yao first and trade him as that would be insult to China and Chinese team.

<p>Therefore, unless the Rockets can provide assurances like Krause or some assurances Yao will not be traded, the negotiations are closed until after the draft. China team just wants assurances, because they do not want to look like "fools" in front of China and Chinese people.

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I don't mean any disrespect but the China team is a fool if they trust Krause. That man is the biggest snake in the NBA and everyone knows it. He plays the game dirty.

If they were smart they would talk to Houston and found out that we are a more honorabel franchise. All I have to say is Krause is a snake, be careful of sleeping with snakes.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'm still confused. If the Rockets were trying to go over to China to hammer out details because they want to take Yao #1 and probably would assure them that he won't get traded, then how can the do that if the GM of the Sharks doesn't want to talk til after the draft? You say they want our assurance, but how can we give it if they don't want to talk to us?

4. heech

heech Contributing Member

I'm also Chinese, and your interpretation seems very reasonable... up to the point of the most recent report.

I think it's time to consider the possibility that Li Yaoming is the Jerry Krause, Al Davis, and George Steinbrenner of Chinese basketball. I was the first to say all along that I felt if the Chinese/Shanghai government backed Houston's efforts, everything will work out... but maybe I over-estimated the government's power in this.

*Every* counter-productive statement coming out of China has come straight out of Li's mouth.

- The interview with the Chicago Tribune.
    - Slamming Eric Zhang as an unauthorized agent.
    - Claiming that Houston winning the draft isn't "good news".
    - And now, actually telling the Houston negotiating team to not come until after the draft.

I think it's obvious what's going on. Li and Krause have some kind of an under-the-table agreement on what the Sharks are to receive if Chicago ends up with Yao Ming. Players, development, financial compensation... everything. And Li, out of a delusional sense of loyalty, believes he should not now negotiate with Houston since he owes it to Krause and the Bulls to send Yao Ming in that direction.

Everyone's been sitting here talking about two conspiracy theories.

1) The NBA wanting Yao Ming to go elsewhere. I don't think that's true.

2) The Chinese government wanting Yao Ming to go elsewhere. I don't think that's true.

The third and final possibility: Li Yaoming wants Yao Ming to go somewhere, and it's not Houston. If true, Li is being a short-sighted ignorant little man. He needs to wake up and understand that, indeed, even if Houston doesn't take Yao Ming they can take entertain trade offers from anyone for him... not just the Bulls. He needs to understand that Krause has no loyalty to the Sharks and Yao Ming, and will take the best available offer at hand. He needs to understand that the Rockets are a great situation for Yao.

Grrrrrrr. Just when everything was looking great, this ass has to throw a wrench in the works...

PS. Here's a Chinese article with his quote:

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2002-06-06/06279720.shtml

He's not as harsh as to say "don't come", but rather politely states that "I feel the discussion of some matters are premature, and hope Houston's delegation can come following the draft."

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

great take Heech...very informative on your part

its like a nightmare...just keeps getting worse and worse and worse

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Thanks heech,

the posts from you and windandsea are much appreciated from this side of the pond.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thank you, heech.

Is Li Yaoming one of those required signatures for Yao's contract?

Hopefully, it's sorted out soon.

8. Live

Live Member

Oski2005,

Maybe because the Rockets' position is that '...well, things seem to be going well, so let's sit down and have a face to face...'

My question is, who is the Rockets' point man in China? If it's this guy who came to Houston a few weeks ago, it seems like the Rockets have goofed. According to the Sharks, this guy doesn't have any authority to negotiate anything.

In other words, if he's the one setting up the 'agreement' or 'meeting', but he doesn't have the authority to do so, then that means a meeting hasn't been set up. Once again, if I declare myself Shaq's agent and I've got this contract set up with some team, the contract and all arrangements are bogus since I never had the authority to do so.

As far as the Chinese are concerned, the Rockets want to come over unannounced, and without any arrangements in regards to schedules and availability to secure an agreement the Chinese have no knowledge of.

Why? Because Yao's 'agent' is, no offense, out of the loop and somewhat insignificant.

Sounds like, according to the Chinese, the next call the Rockets make to the Sharks (not Yao's 'advisors', next door neighbor, 2nd cousin on his mother's side, etc.) concerning any trips or concessions will be the first.

Not a good way to start negotiations, guys.

#8 Live, Jun 6, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2002
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Live,

That depends on whether or not the Sharks actually have any say in the matter.

You don't negotiate with middle management, you go to the people who have the authority to make the deal, which in this case is the Chinese government.

The sharks will fall in line with whatever the government tells them to do.

DaDakota

10. NJRocket

This was sort of what I'm about to say...It seems as though every 2 days, someone else is Pope of this dump (dont take that literally please). Everytime someone steps up and tries to run the show, someone bigger and badder pulls out the rug and takes over and makes new demands.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It's time to think like a Chinaman.

Promise that if you draft Yao Ming you will not trade him.

Then if things don't work out, all the appropriate signitures on a letter of agreement, trade the pick.

Ahh very insrcutable!

GP

12. heech

Definitely. His club owns Yao's basketball rights.

Despite the number of signatures required (reported as 9), the vast majority are totally trivial. I mean, does anyone think getting his parents, CD, and the NBA's office to sign will be a challenge? And it's already clear the Chinese government is content with any arrangement as long as Yao Ming ends up playing on the national team (taking care of another 3-4 signatures)...

Basically, Li Yaomin is the road-block, and Jerry Krause is the guy in the construction hat holding up the "Stop" sign as the Rockets pull up in their ride.... Ugh.

13. heech

Actually, I just reconsidered...

I wonder if Li Yaomin is really orchestrating all of this. I don't really see how he has anything to gain from Houston not sending their delegation. Is he *that* much of a Bulls fan?

But Krause, on the other hand... is it possible that Jerry Krause basically told Li that, "negotiate with the Houston Rockets, and our (previously agreed-upon, mutually beneficial) deal is off?"

If that is the position Krause has taken... then Li has two choices. Negotiate with the Rockets (the bird in the bush), with the possibility that things don't work out well.. *and* the Bulls back off of Yao. Or just take the deal with the Bulls (the bird in hand), and torpedo the Rockets.

Are there NBA rules that restrict this kind of double-dealing from Krause??

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

heech, I think you are wrong about Li Yaoming being a "signature" for Ming. Plus, Ming is not allowed a "no trade" clause. These China negotiators are just wrong thinking this.

This is not true. First, Li Yaoming was not mentioned in the John Doe smoking gun article. The mentioned the President Bai Li (who has always been the boss of Li Yaoming), and they have mentioned a previously unnamed GM, Ling Shaio Ming. Looks like Li Yaoming lost his job.

With all due respect to China's ability to negoitate business deals, the CBA is not making enough money to have negotiators that know how to close the Ming deal...apparently that is why Li Yaoming job was given to Ling Shaio Ming.

Also note that the head of the CBA consider Li Yaoming a joke. He pointed out that Li is not a business man and was previously a journalist.

Read this:

http://www.time.com/time/asia/biz/daily/0,9754,203602,00.html

Can we stop this talk about Li Yaomin winning a negotiation with CD, much less Les Alexander. LOL!

15. NJRocket

Is his last name really Yaoming? Where have I been?

16. heech

Ming's not allowed a "no trade" clause under the collective bargaining agreement, sure. But that doesn't mean other agreements (formal or informal) between the two clubs can't be negotiated.

I don't know who "Ling Shaio Ming" is, but Li Yaomin is the man quoted in the Chinese link I pasted above. His title, according to this article, is literally "vice-chief-general manager". Bai Li might be the President, but Li Yaomin is probably closer to the director of basketball operations... day-to-day front-office guy with authority.

17. Live

Live Member

(To paraphrase):
    'We want assurances that the Rockets will draft Yao Ming to keep, not trade'

Anybody else find this point of contention a bit strange?

Almost as if the Sharks and CBA have gotten some information that this may be a possibility.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

What my concern is that the Shanghai Sharks might have as much or even more power than the Chinese government,because they are also run by Government officials.Ming belongs to them.
    The Chinese government might have the authority to let Ming play in the NBA but it seems that the chances of getting him to play in Houston depends primarily on the negotiations with the Shanghai Sharks.
    I hope someone will be able to clarify these things.

19. chinese

chinese Member

Hi, I can think like a Chinaman.
    if Rockets says "If All Goes Well In China, Expect Rockets To Take Yao", then Shanghai Shark says "Promise that you draft him and
    not trade him", I would think these two sides will get married soon.
    You want my promise? you should give me yours.
    BTW, the coach's name of Shanghai is Li (last) Qiuping(first).

20. NJRocket

I was thinking the same thing Live...maybe Krause put a bug in someone's ear and said "well, the bulls will keep him but i cant say the same for the rockets"...or something along those lines