1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

THE BIGGEST ****ING INJUSTICE IN THE WHOLE ****ING WORLD

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by moestavern19, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I agree the about the only good thing about the NFL is you have surprise teams almost every year. (Bears, Patriots)

2. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

The rule does not apply because at this moment in time, it is very clear like desert scar states, Brady has STOPPED the ball with his offhand and is standing up straight looking downfield. Woodson then knocks it out a moment later. This is no different from a defensive player hitting a QB blindside and causing a fumble.

Rocketman Tex, the refs did not make the right call, watch it slow mo again. The ball does STOP, then it comes out.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Its been 4 days now and it still hurts like a mother :(

4. haven

haven Member

I don't like it because it makes me feel like the NFL is inherently random. Replay this year - do the same 12 teams get to the playoffs? Or even the vast majority? I don't think so. My gut tells me that there are 3-4 NFL teams that really are good. The rest have a lot of luck with injuries, career years, etc.

I want to see a team build through the draft, take a key FA here and there, and slowlly grow into a playoff contender before fading away, only to repeat the process again.

This lottery-style system where anybody can get lucky just doesn't do it for me. If I want luck, I'll go to Vegas.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

The NFL is easily the best league out of the four major ones. I agree with RM95. :eek: In the NFL, all teams have a really good chance of winning if they are wise. They do not have to worry about being outspent. I mean if Baltimore was an MLB team, would they ever win the WS? NO. Fans of every NFL city can usually have something to look forward to.

6. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Stupid rule, and it likely won't last long.

7. Lil Pun

Geez, pay attention and I will say it again: BAD RULE, CORRECT CALL.

According to the rule now if a QB hasn't tucked the ball inside his body, not his other hand, then that still constitutes forward motion. Mike Pereira, director of NFL officiating explained the situation on ESPN and other sports networks and shows.

He said in order to get a fumble out of the situation, two things must happen and I quote

"In order to get a fumble out of the situation one of two things has to happen," Pereira said.

"You either have to get the ball tucked all the way back into the side of your body. If the ball comes out, then it's a fumble.

Did Brady get the ball back inside his body, no he didn't.

"Or, you have to ... re-**** (your arm), get the ball down and lift it again. If it's knocked out in that process, then it's a fumble."

Did this scenario happen, no it didn't.

BAD RULE GOOD CALL GET OVER IT

Listen I'm no Patriots fan but you people have to realize what's done is done. It happened , it's in the past, correct call was made at the time whether you like it or not and there's nothing that can be done about it now except for a rule change but that still wouldn't change the outcome of the game or any game now would it, except maybe next season.

8. Lil Pun

re-**** = re- coc k

9. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Bad call and all, didn't the Raider have at least several plays they shoulda coulda stopped the Pats?!
    I'm just sayin':cool:

10. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Another interesting thing I noticed contributing to my madness at the whole
    playoffs this year for Oakland was that I find it hard to fathom that in 2 playoff games Raider opponents were whistled for a GRAND TOTAL of 1 penalty. I find that more than a little hard to imagine. I can see it maybe one game but 2 teams playing virtually flawlessly-I dont think so. I watched those games and honestly I did see alot of calls that were "missed". Try about 3 or 4 pass interference vs the Pats alone. :mad: Its just not that botched call that has me pissed.
    Fact is 99 times out of 100 I bet that the ruling on the field would have stood on that close play regardless of how its interpreted.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Like I said before, If your mindset goes from having won the game to having that stripped from you to a position of having to save the game, There is no way you can get back into that psyche. That call punched every raiders player right in the gut and I knew The Game was Over if The Patriots got the ball first.

12. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

The Bears felt the same way when Jim Miller got knocked out...

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Desert Scar - Gruden was not stupid for taking out Garner , Zack Crockett on 3rd and 1 gets the first down 90% of the time, I would have done the exact same thing.

15. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Lil Pun, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think this call should of been reversed.

It pisses me off even more that the head of officials actually wants to keep this rule for next year and not change it. Man this hurts...

Anyone notice a trend? Last year it was the sliding into endzone safety. Stupid raider rules...I bet after another raider game next year, another rule will be questioned, seems like every year it happens. A raider best put it, we'll just have to learn how to play 11 vs 14. (If you don't believe me, check our last few games and the playoffs, how many penalties our opponents had).

Desert Scar, I'm going to disagree that Raiders would of gotten killed this weekend. All our games have gone down to the wire.

I'd have to agree with moestavern19 in that I'd go with crockett too. He is the ultimate touchdown w****. If it wasn't for a slip cuz of the weather, he would of got it.

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Exactly because of the weather and drame, I stick with Garner. He was in a rythim both in making cuts on that field and holding on to the ball (he made something out of nothing many times in the 4th quater). The way Garner had been making plays and given the weigth of the situation and field conditions, Gruden should have bucked his normal plan and stuck with him IMO. Granted Crockett did only end of 1 foot short, but sure footing, not power, was key in that situation.

Also, actually after he ended up 1 foot short I really honestly thought maybe the Raiders should go for it on 4th down. The field was so bad, trying the punt you risk a snapper or punter error, or even if you get it off againt the wind/snow it only goes 20something yards. The Raiders I think only gained like 10 yards net on the sequence. Granted, I probably would have punted too, but I really, really had a feeling that might not have been the best way to go in that situation.

On final thing. When the Raiders had the ball on the 35 with 2 timeouts and 20something seconds, I did not understand them not trying something--especially considering the drama of the events. You knew going into OT was a bad sign for the Raiders. If nothing else do a screen or handoff to Garner, if he gets 10-15 yards take a time out and take 3 shots at hitting a 20-25 yard pass. Defenders were slipping all over the place, it could happen. If Garner gets nothing, ok, then run out the clock. Also, NE had no timeouts left to either move the ball if the Raiders did make a mistake a give the ball up around mid-field.

But again, the Raiders should have won, but NE more or less was the better team that day except on the scoreboard through late in the 4th, and NE had been the better team last half of the season. This was not going to be the Raiders year, if Pittsburgh didn't kill them, the Rams would have put 50 on them.